[net.physics] Sub-zero Seltzer!

tino@hou2f.UUCP (A.TINO) (12/27/85)

An unopened bottle of salt-free seltzer, kept overnight in
a sub-freezing room, remained liquid.  I brought the bottle
into a warm room and immediately removed the twist-off cap.
Within seconds the liquid froze.  Very dramatic!

I can think of two contributing effects:
1) The increased pressure within the bottle suppressed the
freezing point (as in regelation).  When the pressure was
released, the water froze.
2) The dissolved CO2 suppressed the freezing point.  When the
gas escaped, the water froze.

I think the second effect is the more important one.
Any comments?

_______
Al Tino

mmm@weitek.UUCP (Mark Thorson) (12/29/85)

In article <601@hou2f.UUCP>, tino@hou2f.UUCP (A.TINO) writes:
> An unopened bottle of salt-free seltzer, kept overnight in
> a sub-freezing room, remained liquid.  I brought the bottle
> into a warm room and immediately removed the twist-off cap.
> Within seconds the liquid froze.  Very dramatic!
>
> I can think of two contributing effects:
> 1) The increased pressure within the bottle suppressed the
> freezing point (as in regelation).  When the pressure was
> released, the water froze.
> 2) The dissolved CO2 suppressed the freezing point.  When the
> gas escaped, the water froze.
>
> I think the second effect is the more important one.
> Any comments?
>
> _______
> Al Tino
The bubbles of CO2 formed when you took the cap off provided nucleation centers
for ice-crystal formation in the supercooled liquid.

Mark Thorson  (...!cae780!weitek!mmm)

> An unopened bottle of salt-free seltzer, kept overnight in
> a sub-freezing room, remained liquid.  I brought the bottle
> into a warm room and immediately removed the twist-off cap.
> Within seconds the liquid froze.  Very dramatic!
>
> I can think of two contributing effects:
> 1) The increased pressure within the bottle suppressed the
> freezing point (as in regelation).  When the pressure was
> released, the water froze.
> 2) The dissolved CO2 suppressed the freezing point.  When the
> gas escaped, the water froze.
>
> I think the second effect is the more important one.
> Any comments?

	You got it - the reason is the presence of dissolved CO2 causing
freezing point depression; the first reason is NOT a factor other than higher
pressure causing more CO2 to remain in solution.  The quantitative explanation
for this phenomenon is expressed through Raoult's Law.

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        <==
==>  UUCP    {decvax|dual|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  <==
==>  VOICE   716/741-9185                {rice|shell}!baylor!/             <==
==>  FAX     716/741-9635 {G1, G2, G3 modes}    duke!ethos!/               <==
==>                                          burl!gladys!/                 <==
==>  "Have you hugged your cat today?"           ihnp4!/                   <==

tan@ihlpg.UUCP (Bill Tanenbaum) (12/31/85)

> An unopened bottle of salt-free seltzer, kept overnight in
> a sub-freezing room, remained liquid.  I brought the bottle
> into a warm room and immediately removed the twist-off cap.
> Within seconds the liquid froze.  Very dramatic!
>
> I can think of two contributing effects:
> 1) The increased pressure within the bottle suppressed the
> freezing point (as in regelation).  When the pressure was
> released, the water froze.
> 2) The dissolved CO2 suppressed the freezing point.  When the
> gas escaped, the water froze.
>
> I think the second effect is the more important one.
> Any comments?
> _______
> Al Tino
-----
I think (but am not certain) that neither effect is significant.
Try 3) Supercooled liquid - Liquids can be cooled well below
their freezing points without freezing if there are no imperfections
present at which freezing can begin.  When the pressure was released,
the bubbles of CO2 were the "seeds" for ice crystal formation, i.e.
freezing.
--
Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan

jp@lanl.ARPA (12/31/85)

I have seen the same phenomenon with a bottle of very cold soda pop.  You
open the cap, it makes a pffht sound (gas escaping) and proceeds to form
ice crystals before your eyes.

pmk@prometheus.UUCP (Paul M Koloc) (01/01/86)

> > 1) The increased pressure within the bottle suppressed the
> > freezing point (as in regelation).  When the pressure was
> > released, the water froze.
> > 2) The dissolved CO2 suppressed the freezing point.  When the
> > gas escaped, the water froze.
> > I think the second effect is the more important one.
> > Al Tino

> =>Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, NY applauds: <=
> 	You got it - the reason is the presence of dissolved CO2 causing
> freezing point depression; the first reason is NOT a factor other than higher
> pressure causing more CO2 to remain in solution.  The quantitative explanation
> for this phenomenon is expressed through Raoult's Law.

> Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan
> Try 3) Supercooled liquid - Liquids can be cooled well below
> their freezing points without freezing if there are no imperfections
> present at which freezing can begin.  When the pressure was released,
> the bubbles of CO2 were the "seeds" for ice crystal formation, i.e.
> freezing.

You got almost all of it!  Another contributing factor is: 4> the
cooling (temperature drop) induced by the vaporization of the CO2
from the seltzer water.  That is both the temperature of the fluid
is lowered and the freezing point is raised. The collision point
once reached proceeds catastrophically and precipitates further
state changes.

  5> The "ice crystal seeds" also work as places to facilitate
the proliferation of "cavitation regions" for the "explosive
boiling" of the CO2. This greatly enhances the rate at which the
CO2 expelled, so much so that it contributes to the sudden opacity
of the solid-fluid-gas mixture and sometimes causes such rapid
expansion that the contents overflow and one might even feel a
kind of bump if the container is being held in hand.

As a kid I found opening near-freezing bottles of coke fun,
and then sucking the slush out even "funner".

I think that all 4 or 5? mechanisms contribute, not insignificantly!

+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+
| Paul M. Koloc, President: (301) 445-1075                | FUSION |
| Prometheus II, Ltd.; College Park, MD 20740-0222        |  this  |
| {umcp-cs | seismo}!prometheus!pmk; pmk@prometheus.UUCP  | decade |
+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+

In article <1510@ihlpg.UUCP>, tan@ihlpg.UUCP (Bill Tanenbaum) writes:
>> An unopened bottle of salt-free seltzer, kept overnight in
>> a sub-freezing room, remained liquid.  I brought the bottle
>> into a warm room and immediately removed the twist-off cap.
>> Within seconds the liquid froze.  Very dramatic!
>>
>> 2) The dissolved CO2 suppressed the freezing point.  When the
>> gas escaped, the water froze.
>> I think the second effect is the more important one.
>> Any comments?
>> Al Tino
>-----
>I think (but am not certain) that neither effect is significant.
>Try 3) Supercooled liquid - Liquids can be cooled well below
>their freezing points without freezing if there are no imperfections
>present at which freezing can begin.  When the pressure was released,
>the bubbles of CO2 were the "seeds" for ice crystal formation, i.e.
>freezing.
>--
>Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan

Interesting.  I have had the same thing happen with bottles of soft drinks
that I have put in the freezer to chill quickly and forgotten just a little
too long.  There seems to only be a little ice in the bottle, then I pry
off the cap--voila! lots of ice.  If the supercooling theory were the reason,
why was there a little ice in the bottle beforehand in my test?  (Try it
yourself, with something like Crush that comes in a clear bottle.)
|        skokie, illinois        |