[net.physics] Wave equations, probability, and relations of state

kort@hounx.UUCP (B.KORT) (01/17/86)

Ken, thanks for your thoughtful rejoinder to my followup on the
"wave equation/many worlds" posting.  I think you make a good
point and I want to see if I have it clearly.  Let me start with
an abstract of your response:

> In article <501@hounx.UUCP> kort@hounx.UUCP (B.KORT) writes:
>
> >Perhaps my level of understanding is a bit naive, but don't
> >the wave equations encode our state of knowledge (uncertainty)
> >about the state of affairs prior to measurement?  Also, don't
> >we have the basic problem that measurement involves interacting
> >with the thing being measured ... ?  When the probability wave
> >collapses ... aren't we simply experiencing a quantum jump in
> >our state of knowledge?  ...
>
> >If this view is sound, then the wave equation is not so much
> >a description of what's "out there" as it is a description of
> >"what we know" about that which is "out there."
> >
> >				-- Barry Kort
> >				...ihnp4!houxm!hounx!kort
>
> Well said, but I don't think it's true.
>
> Consider a lone free particle.  In general, we don't know where it is,
> so we invent a wave function to give the probabilities of it being
> here or there.  But in the real world, this wave function does not behave
> as if it described a distribution of hypothetical positions of a classical
> particle.  Instead:
>
> 	1.  It's evolution in time is entirely self-determined.  There
> 	is no "velocity" that can be specified independently of position.
>
> 	2.  The values of the wave function are complex numbers who's
> 	squared magnitudes are the aforementioned probabilities.  As
> 	the wavefunction evolves, it can destructively interfere with
> 	itself.
>
> If quantum mechanics did nothing but quantify our ignorance about what
> we are looking at, how would it explain, say, the discrete energy levels
> of atoms?
>
> 						Ken Rimey
> 						rimey@dali.berkeley.edu
> 						ucbvax!rimey

If I understand point 1, your saying that there is a constraint relating
position and velocity.  I agree.  The constraint is that velocity is
defined as the time derivative of position.  So your first point is
that the components of the particle's state vector are not independent,
but functionally related in a particular way.

Your second point is more interesting (and more subtle); I hope I can
interpret it correctly.  I note that in the simple Bohr Model of the
atom, the discrete orbits of the electrons correspond to closed paths
comprised of an integral number of wavelengths of the electron's wave
equation.  More generally, one can contemplate "orbits" which deviate
from simple shapes.  Imagine a frictionless roller coaster, given an
initial position and velocity.  Assume I design a complex track, carefully
banked at every curve.  The track could, principle meander all over the
countryside, never closing on itself.  The total energy of the roller
coaster (kinetic plus potential) would remain constant.  The height
speed, and position along the track evolve according to deterministic
equations.  If I close the track on itself, when the roller coaster
returns to the starting point, it must have the same velocity as the
initial velocity.  Note that the track itself had to be designed (banked
and curved) so that at every point force of the cars on the track remained
normal to the tangent plane of the track.  For a given track, there would
be an even integral number of starting states (perhaps exactly 2: forward
and backward) that the roller coaster could take.  If an observer came
along, and didn't know the starting conditions, couldn't he encode his
state of knowledge (uncertainty as to position/velocity as a function
of time) as a wave equation, just like the electron?

To extend the analogy even further, couldn't we introduce forks in
the track sytem at arbitrary positions, giving us a "many tracks"
network.  The tiniest outside force (say a puff of wind) would
"determine" whether the roller coaster veered left or right at
any given fork.  Now the observer's state of knowledge has to
encode the uncertainty due to the myriad forking paths.  About
all he has left is knowledge of the total system energy, and
the realization that for every possible instantaneous state of the
roller coaster, there is a computable probability that the roller
coaster will return to exactly that same instantaeous state after
an elapsed time, t.  For very small t, the probability is zero.
There is a minimum time, say t sub 1, which is the first possible
time for the roller coaster to make a circuit.  In general, there
is a sequence of possible instants when the roller coaster could
return, depending on the number of forks in the "many tracks"
scenario.  In the steady state limit, the initial conditions are
washed out, and we just have a probability function that no longer
depends on time.

I hope my roller coaster analogy is helpful, and not so contrived
that it hides any essential subtleties in the more sophisticated
models of particle motion.  My present bottom line, Ken, is that
I still fail to see just how the wave function is *more* than an
encoding of our imperfect knowledge of the state of affairs of the
particle.  Can you help me see the point that I'm missing in order
to appreciate the reality of the wave?

--Barry Kort