[net.physics] FP inretforometer

jc@saber.UUCP (John Cincotta) (01/23/86)

I just heard a discussion of a Fabre Preot interformeter. It involved the
use of 2 mirrors that had 95 % reflectance and 5 % transmission they were
set up parrellel to each other and a given number of wavelengths apart.
It was stated that if this device was raidated with 1 watt of light at that
waveleignth the output at the other end would be 1 watt. And that there would
be 20 wats of energy raidateing back and forth between the mirrors.
Is this realy true and if so how does it work????

Name:	John Cincotta
Mail:	Saber Technology, 2381 Bering Drive, San Jose, California 95131
AT&T:	435-8600
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!saber!jc
	...{amd,ihnp4,ittvax}!saber!jc

sutin@astrovax.UUCP (Brian M. Sutin) (01/24/86)

> I just heard a discussion of a Fabre Preot interformeter. It involved the
> use of 2 mirrors that had 95 % reflectance and 5 % transmission they were
> set up parrellel to each other and a given number of wavelengths apart.
> It was stated that if this device was raidated with 1 watt of light at that
> waveleignth the output at the other end would be 1 watt. And that there would
> be 20 wats of energy raidateing back and forth between the mirrors.
> Is this realy true and if so how does it work????

	Just like a computer... you put 200 lines of garbage code in, it
gives you 200 lines of garbage data out.  And it always has 800 megabytes
of disk storage being used for useless junk.

Brian Sutin
Department of Astrophysical Sciences
Princeton University

{ allegra, akgua, cbosgd, decvax, ihnp4, noao, philabs, princeton, vax135 }
!astrovax!sutin

piner@pur-phy.UUCP (Richard Piner) (01/25/86)

In article <1917@saber.UUCP> jc@saber.UUCP (John Cincotta) writes:
>I just heard a discussion of a Fabre Preot interformeter. It involved the
>use of 2 mirrors that had 95 % reflectance and 5 % transmission they were
>set up parrellel to each other and a given number of wavelengths apart.
>It was stated that if this device was raidated with 1 watt of light at that
>waveleignth the output at the other end would be 1 watt. And that there would
>be 20 wats of energy raidateing back and forth between the mirrors.
>Is this realy true and if so how does it work????

 That's Fabry-Perot interferometer. For a full description see
Jenkins and White. To explain in brief, an interfermometer acts as
a RF resonance cavity. The energy between the mirrors is stored as
a standing wave. The ratio of stored energy to radiated energy is
the "Q". This all makes sense to anyone with an EE backround. I have
a hell of a time explaining it to particle physicist however. If
you want to know more, come to Purdue and take my couse in optics.

					Rich Piner
					Purdue Physics Dept.
					piner@pur-phy.UUCP

stern@bnl.UUCP (Eric G. Stern) (01/26/86)

> I just heard a discussion of a Fabre Preot interformeter. It involved the
> use of 2 mirrors that had 95 % reflectance and 5 % transmission they were
> set up parrellel to each other and a given number of wavelengths apart.
> It was stated that if this device was raidated with 1 watt of light at that
> waveleignth the output at the other end would be 1 watt. And that there would
> be 20 wats of energy raidateing back and forth between the mirrors.
> Is this realy true and if so how does it work????
>
> Name:	John Cincotta
> Mail:	Saber Technology, 2381 Bering Drive, San Jose, California 95131
> AT&T:	435-8600
> UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!saber!jc
> 	...{amd,ihnp4,ittvax}!saber!jc

The major problem with this statement is that the
energy content of the Fabry-Perot cavity cannot be expressed
in watts since watts = energy/time is a unit of power.
The power into the FP system is equal to the power
out of the system except for losses in the mirrors and
walls.  Since the system you describe has equal mirrors
on both ends, the power coming out of the cavity must
be the same on both the front and back sides.  Assuming
that no absorption takes place and that 1 watt of power
enters the cavity, then 0.5 watt must leave the
cavity on either side.  Now look in particular at
one of the mirrors.  Since the mirror is 5% transmitting
and 0.5 watts is transmitted through the mirror, then
10 watts must be incident on the mirror which is 20 times
the transmitted power.  There is no great mystery in this.

You can't fool me young man,	Eric G. Stern
it's turtles all the way down!	Dept. of Physics, SUNY
				stern@bnl.arpa
				stern@bnl.bitnet
				BNLCL{1-4}::STERN (HEPnet)

rpt@warwick.UUCP (Richard Tomlinson) (01/27/86)

Xpath: ukc eagle

In article <1917@saber.UUCP> jc@saber.UUCP writes:
>I just heard a discussion of a Fabre Preot interformeter.
>It was stated that if this device was raidated with 1 watt of light at that
>waveleignth the output at the other end would be 1 watt. And that there would
>be 20 wats of energy raidateing back and forth between the mirrors.

Since when has the watt been a measure of energy? I learnt the unit was
joule at 'O' level.
        ...!mcvax!ukc!warwick!rpt

lambert@boring.uucp (Lambert Meertens) (01/28/86)

>>I just heard a discussion of a Fabre Preot interformeter. It involved the
>>use of 2 mirrors that had 95 % reflectance and 5 % transmission they were
>>set up parrellel to each other and a given number of wavelengths apart.
>>It was stated that if this device was raidated with 1 watt of light at that
>>waveleignth the output at the other end would be 1 watt. And that there would
>>be 20 wats of energy raidateing back and forth between the mirrors.
>>Is this realy true and if so how does it work????

> That's Fabry-Perot interferometer. For a full description see
>Jenkins and White. To explain in brief, an interfermometer acts as
>a RF resonance cavity. The energy between the mirrors is stored as
>a standing wave. The ratio of stored energy to radiated energy is
>the "Q". This all makes sense to anyone with an EE backround. I have
>a hell of a time explaining it to particle physicist however. If
>you want to know more, come to Purdue and take my couse in optics.

To unsterdand hwy teh Farby-Perto inferthermometer sttores 20 what you dont
need a baground in EE.  Pur unit of time you put in 1 freeble of enrgy and
outcomes 5% off watt is stored, so if thats less than 20 freebles it
incresaes and if more it dinimishes, so it setless on 20 only its not wats
but freebles (the dimension of "Watt" is energy/time) and to obtain the
energy you have to multiply 20 W by the time it takes the wave to move from
one end to the other, which is not much.
--

     Lambert Meertens
     ...!{seismo,okstate,garfield,decvax,philabs}!lambert@mcvax.UUCP