[net.physics] Particle Accelerators/ Cosmic Rays

desj@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (David desJardins) (02/10/86)

In article <139@epimass.UUCP> jbuck@epimass.UUCP (Joe Buck) writes:

>The problem with this is that cosmic rays, which are largely subatomic
>particles accelerated to high energies, strike the atmosphere every day,
>and a significant number have higher energy than have ever been produced
>in any man-made accelerator.

   If this is really true why don't we build orbiting detectors and wait
for cosmic rays to strike their targets at these extremely high energies?
Is the density of cosmic rays too low to make this practical?
   Sounds a lot cheaper than $1E10 for the SSC!

   -- David desJardins

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) (02/11/86)

In article <11782@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> desj@brahms.UUCP (David desJardins) writes:
>   If [cosmic rays are more energetic than particles in accelerators]
>why don't we build orbiting detectors and wait
>for cosmic rays to strike their targets at these extremely high energies?
>Is the density of cosmic rays too low to make this practical?
>   Sounds a lot cheaper than $1E10 for the SSC!

I have a good friend who's a particle physicist so I'm going to go out
on a limb and try to answer this.

Yes, to my knowledge the problem is luminosity or particle flux.  There
just aren't enough high energy cosmic rays to make them a good
substitute for accelerators.  And a good thing that is for those of us
living on the surface of this planet!

However, for some time high energy physics was cosmic ray physics, and
cosmic ray research goes on.  Most recently weird particles have been
coming (it is conjectured) from Cygnus X-3, a bright x-ray source some
27,000 light years from here.  Events in a proton-decay experiment seem
related to this object and due to particles hitherto undiscovered.
Likewise anamolous bursts of Cherenkov radiation in the atmosphere
(detected by an instrument in Hawaii) are tentatively associated with
Cygnus X-3.  If these results hold up one of the major particle-physics
discoveries of the 1980s will have come from cosmic rays.  And we may be
reminded once again that when you explore the unknown, then by
definition you do not know what you will find.
--
D Gary Grady
Duke U Comp Center, Durham, NC  27706

tan@ihlpg.UUCP (Bill Tanenbaum) (02/11/86)

> In article <139@epimass.UUCP> jbuck@epimass.UUCP (Joe Buck) writes:
> >
> >The problem with this is that cosmic rays, which are largely subatomic
> >particles accelerated to high energies, strike the atmosphere every day,
> >and a significant number have higher energy than have ever been produced
> >in any man-made accelerator.
>-----
>    If this is really true why don't we build orbiting detectors and wait
> for cosmic rays to strike their targets at these extremely high energies?
> Is the density of cosmic rays too low to make this practical?
>    Sounds a lot cheaper than $1E10 for the SSC!
>    -- David desJardins
------
We DO build such orbiting detectors.  However, the intensity of
cosmic rays at high energies is many orders of magnitude below that
achievable in man-made accelerators.  The knowledge gained about the
structure of matter in the last thirty years or more comes almost
entirely from experiments at man-made accelerators.
--
Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan

waddingt@umn-cs.UUCP (Jake Waddington ) (02/12/86)

In article <11782@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> desj@brahms.UUCP (David desJardins) writes:

>   If this, (cosmic rays have higher energy than ever been produced on earth),
	is really true why don't we build orbiting detectors and wait
>for cosmic rays to strike their targets at these extremely high energies?
>Is the density of cosmic rays too low to make this practical?
>   Sounds a lot cheaper than $1E10 for the SSC!
>
> -- David desJardins

We do! We do!
	Yes, the flux is a problem but much of the earlyer work in high energy
particle physics was done with cosmic rays. There are now at least two U.S.
experiments in orbit looking at the "heavy Ions" which are in the same range as
what the SSC will do. One problem as I understand it is that their is little
accelerator time set a side for use with ion beams thus Cosimc Rays are still
an important source of basic particle physic research. Also note the on going
discussion about Cignus-X, or however you spell that. The radiation, cosmic
rays, coming from Cignus are teaching us some new physics, or so it seams.

By the way we still need the SSC for controlled experiments.

	Paul Fink
	U of MN Cosmic Ray Lab
	ihnp4!umn-cs!waddingt
	  or all the way to where it is being done at:
	ihnp4!umn-cs!umn-phys!fink

guy@slu70.UUCP (02/13/86)

In article <11782@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, desj@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (David desJardins) writes:

>    If this is really true why don't we build orbiting detectors and wait
> for cosmic rays to strike their targets at these extremely high energies?
> Is the density of cosmic rays too low to make this practical?
>    Sounds a lot cheaper than $1E10 for the SSC!

We do, or send them up in balloons or whatever to get them above most
of the atmosphere. The problem, as you suggest, is one of density.
Compared to the beam density of a typical accelerator, cosmic rays are very
diffuse. As I recall, the brouhaha over the claimed discovery of a magnetic
monopole back in the middle seventies was based on cosmic ray data.