[net.physics] Manhattan project and atmospheric ignition

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (02/14/86)

With regard to this:

> When the first nuclear bomb was exploded by the Manhattan project, there was
> a pool started to predict the force of the explosion. One scientist predicted
> that most of New Mexico would be wiped off the face of the Earth.

And this:

> ... I am not certain
> about the historical development, but it seems to me that *at the
> time* of the first atomic bomb, there was no way to exclude the
> possibility of starting a chain reaction in the atmosphere or ground
> with a reasonable degree of certainty.

I would like to quote some passages from the book "Lawrence and
Oppenheimer", by Nuel Pharr Davis (Simon and Schuster, 1968).

To summarize briefly:  The second quotation above is simply wrong.
There was certainly betting on whether the atmosphere would explode,
but it should be obvious that anyone who really believed that would
be elsewhere or would have objected.  It seems obvious to me that
it was dark humor.

Okay.  The time is July 1942.  Teller conceived the idea of the
hydrogen bomb following a conversation with Fermi a few weeks before,
and now he is presenting it for the first time.  From pages 130-131:

    Going to a large blackboard in Oppenheimer's office, Teller
    computed the heat buildup.  The final figure, he pointed
    out, was enough to "melt" the Coulomb barrier between light
    nuclei.  Most specifically it would fuse deuterium ions into
    helium.  ...  The result, he concluded, would be a superweapon
    of unlimited power.

    The deuterium-deuterium reaction was thoroughly familiar.  ...
    Nevertheless, Oppenheimer stared at the blackboard in wild
    surprise, and the other faces in the room, including Teller's,
    successively caught the same look.  The heat buildup Teller had
    calculated was enough not only to maintain the deuterium reaction
    but also another between its reaction products and nitrogen.
    ...  Teller had correctly calculated the heat production of a
    fission bomb; Oppenheimer saw it, with or without a deuterium
    wrapper, setting afire the atmosphere of the entire planet, and
    no one at the conference could prove he was wrong.

    Physicists are always exasperated when accused by outsiders
    of meddling with forces beyond man's puny comprehension.
    Nevertheless, those in the room were among the world's best,
    and that is exactly what they felt they had been doing.  ...
    Oppenheimer suspended the sessions.  He decided that Compton
    ought to know that the program he was directing seemed pointed
    toward igniting the air and ocean.

    ... Compton was vacationing at a lake cottage near Otsego,
    Michigan ... [and] by this time atomic leaders were forbidden
    to fly.  Compton gave Oppenheimer directions for getting to
    Otsego by train and morning after next met him at the little
    station.  Driving out to a deserted strip of beach, Compton
    listened to the story.  He decided that the fission program
    would have to be abandoned unless Oppenheimer could definitely
    dispose of the heat question.  "Better to be a slave under the
    Nazi heel", he summed up, "than to draw down the final curtain
    on humanity".

    Aside from such wisdom Oppenheimer had little to expect from
    the long train trip except that it gave him time to think.
    He checked and rechecked Teller's mathematics.  The following
    week he reconvened the theoretical group.  Bethe and the rest
    had also done some anxious checking.  They confronted each
    other in one of the high moments of science history.  ...

    ... Both [Oppenheimer and Bethe] surpassed Teller in mathematics.
    They found a mistake in Teller's figures.  He had roughly but
    correctly calculated heat production in the bomb; he had
    overlooked certain aspects of heat radiation.  Revised calculations
    by the whole group made ignition of a deuterium wrapper [i.e. the
    hydrogen bomb] seem possible but uncertain.  How completely they
    ruled out the possibility of igniting air and water is an interesting
    question.  On this point Teller, who was there, takes a different
    view from Compton, who was not.  "We made absolutely certain --
    I was more deeply involved in this than anyone else -- that no such
    catastrophe could occur", Teller says.  Compton, on the other hand,
    told Pearl Buck that the physicists hemmed and hawed a long time.
    Then on his orders, he said, they computed a three-in-a-million
    chance, which he felt was low enough to be worth taking.

    The discrepancy between the two versions probably arises from
    the fact that certainty is a state of mind based on not having to
    depend on someone else's calculations.  Allison, who was not there
    either, sided with Compton.  "... I knew the doubts continued
    still in 1945.  At the Metallurgical Laboratory we weren't supposed
    to tell the younger people.  They kept making the discovery for
    themselves and coming to warn us."

This three-in-a-million chance is presumably the same one referred
to in this passage from pages 165 and 167:

    Oppenheimer ran into such varied problems of morale as to obscure
    the fact that he had one unvaried policy for dealing with them.
    This was to do what he could to let every scientist on the Mesa
    know what he knew.

    To inaugurate this policy he put Serber forward as his spokesman
    at a lecture series beginning on April 15 [1943].

    ... [In the lectures, Serber said:]  As for blowing up the earth
    by igniting the atmosphere, all calculations were against it.
    Still, he said, the true scientist should consider every possibility,
    including that of being mistaken.  So many computations were involved
    that one had to admit a statistical probability of an error lurking
    somewhere among them unrecognized.  The chance for an unexpected end
    to human affairs he would put at three in one million.  It had to be
    deduced so tenuously that one might as well apply it to both the
    fission bomb and the more violent thermonuclear.

In other word, the calculations showed that there was certainly no
problem, so there was only the possibilty of repeated errors.
Finally, this from pages 234-235:

    One of Fermi's traits that caused his colleagues to rank him in
    the genius class was his knack of extrapolating problem solutions
    that hid just beyond the range of mathematical proof.  On ... July 15,
    [1945,] he gave a chilling demonstration.  It began with a graceful
    compliment to Oppenheimer.  If the bomb failed to go off, Fermi said,
    no one else could ever do better to make it go off, so Oppenheimer
    and the laboratory would have proved implosion impossible, and
    this would be the best of good news for mankind.  Less obvious
    and more interesting, he went on, was a point about atmospheric
    ignition:  long study of the possibility had put him in a position
    to handicap the odds on two contingencies:  "I invite bets", he
    said, "against first the destruction of all human life and second
    just that of human life in New Mexico".

    [Gen.] Groves listened frowning.  He had got up a series of press
    releases to cover all the eventualities he could foresee.  The
    most drastic was that Oppenheimer and the other physicists who
    were to man the forward station would be wiped out; this he planned
    to explain by a statement that they had accidentally touched off
    an Army ammunition dump while enjoying a holiday at Oppenheimer's
    ranch.  Now Fermi exasperated him by raising a contingency for
    which he was unprepared to account.  He decided that Fermi was
    merely making a bad joke out of a desire to relieve tension.
    A good many of the senior physicists present felt that Fermi was
    not merely joking.

Posted by Mark Brader

cipher@mmm.UUCP (Andre Guirard) (02/19/86)

In article <1115@lsuc.UUCP> msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) writes:
>    ... long study of the possibility had put him in a position
>    to handicap the odds on two contingencies:  "I invite bets", he
>    said, "against first the destruction of all human life and second
>    just that of human life in New Mexico".

This was a "no-risk" bet, since if Fermi lost he would no longer be
around to pay it off.

>    [Gen.] Groves listened frowning.  He had got up a series of press
>    releases to cover all the eventualities he could foresee...

Likewise, in the first case a press release would be superfluous.
"In a posthumous press release, General Groves declined to comment on
last week's destruction of all human life."

It would be interesting to see what he would have had to say about the
destruction of New Mexico.  "And so I said to him, I said, how many
times have I told you not to play with matches?  And _now_ see what
you've done!  But there was no answer."
--

 /''`\						Andre Guirard
([]-[])						High Weasel