[net.physics] What's All This, Then

kort@hounx.UUCP (B.KORT) (02/05/86)

The current issue of Smithsonian has a guest column on modern-day worries
by Richard Wolkomir.  The author picks up a nasty new macroworry:

	...physicists Piet Hut and Martin J. Rees, of the Institute
	for Advanced Studies in Princeton, New Jersey, have dreamed
	up a beauty.  They have a notion that new particle accelerators
	may create subatomic collisions intense enough to trigger a
	chain reaction and thus vaporize the entire Universe!

		Such a macroworry is exquisite.  While we stand by,
	physicists are planning giant accelerators.  A scientist in
	a white smock will soon throw that switch.  And for thousands
	of people the last thought before the cosmos winks out, is
	sure to be, "Darn, why didn't I start a petition?"

Anybody heard about this theory?  It all sounds a bit preposterous,
but then much of modern physics is weird, as one poster recently
observed.  Do I have time to have a little fun in life before we
blow it?

--Barry Kort

jbuck@epimass.UUCP (02/06/86)

In article <572@hounx.UUCP> kort@hounx.UUCP (B.KORT) writes:
>The current issue of Smithsonian has a guest column on modern-day worries
>by Richard Wolkomir.  The author picks up a nasty new macroworry:
>
>	...physicists Piet Hut and Martin J. Rees, of the Institute
>	for Advanced Studies in Princeton, New Jersey, have dreamed
>	up a beauty.  They have a notion that new particle accelerators
>	may create subatomic collisions intense enough to trigger a
>	chain reaction and thus vaporize the entire Universe!

The problem with this is that cosmic rays, which are largely subatomic particles
accelerated to high energies, strike the atmosphere every day, and a significant
number have higher energy than have ever been produced in any man-made accelerator.

If you look at the inflationary theory, a modification of the big bang theory,
there are some weird things there though, like the possibility of space-time itself
undergoing a phase change at high energies.

I think though, that if this were a real possibility, the cosmic rays (or
intelligent beings on another planet) would have wiped us out by now.

--
- Joe Buck
- ihnp4!pesnta!epimass!jbuck

mrl@oddjob.UUCP (Scott R. Anderson) (02/06/86)

In article <572@hounx.UUCP> kort@hounx.UUCP (B.KORT) writes:
>	...physicists Piet Hut and Martin J. Rees, of the Institute
>	for Advanced Studies in Princeton, New Jersey, have dreamed
>	up a beauty.  They have a notion that new particle accelerators
>	may create subatomic collisions intense enough to trigger a
>	chain reaction and thus vaporize the entire Universe!
>Anybody heard about this theory?

The idea is based on the parallels that exist between cosmology/particle
physics and condensed matter physics.  The universe has gone through
several phase transitions as it has cooled from the big bang, each
transition resulting in a modification of physical laws, e.g. the
separation of electromagnetism from the weak nuclear force.  Just as in
systems such as super-cooled liquids, though, the universe may not yet
be in its lowest-energy state, but rather in a metastable state,
separated from a preferred but different set of physical laws by a small
energy barrier.  All it would take to jump the barriers is a nucleating
center, which might be provided by high energy collisions in an
accelerator.  The universe wouldn't exactly vaporize, but I doubt if
anyone would survive the transition.

I haven't seen Hut and Rees' paper, but I suspect that this is strictly
speculation, based on the above-mentioned analogy.

>Do I have time to have a little fun in life before we blow it?

You'd be better off worrying about how Reagan and Gorbachev are going
to blow it :-).
--

					Scott Anderson
					ihnp4!oddjob!kaos!sra

kendalla@orca.UUCP (Kendall Auel) (02/07/86)

In article <572@hounx.UUCP> kort@hounx.UUCP (B.KORT) writes:
>	              They have a notion that new particle accelerators
>	may create subatomic collisions intense enough to trigger a
>	chain reaction and thus vaporize the entire Universe!

When the first nuclear bomb was exploded by the Manhattan project, there was
a pool started to predict the force of the explosion. One scientist predicted
that most of New Mexico would be wiped off the face of the Earth.

Another scientist predicted that the reaction could not be halted, and would
eventually consume the entire planet, perhaps continuing to destroy the
entire Universe!!!!!!

It's true, I heard it on public T.V.

Kendall Auel

langer@lasspvax.UUCP (Stephen Langer) (02/07/86)

In article <572@hounx.UUCP> kort@hounx.UUCP (B.KORT) writes:
>The current issue of Smithsonian has a guest column on modern-day worries
>by Richard Wolkomir.  The author picks up a nasty new macroworry:
>
>	They have a notion that new particle accelerators
>	may create subatomic collisions intense enough to trigger a
>	chain reaction and thus vaporize the entire Universe!
>	....And for thousands
>	of people the last thought before the cosmos winks out, is
>	sure to be, "Darn, why didn't I start a petition?"

I've heard of a theory that the universe is really in a metastable state
and that some low temp experiment might someday reach a temperature
low enough to initiate the phase transition to the universe's
true ground state. Fortunately, you don't have to worry about anything --
the phase boundary will propagate at the speed of light so
you won't see it coming.  :-)
--

            0))
       ((0       0
            | |    Steve Langer
            / \    Physics Department, Clark Hall
           /   \   Cornell University
          \     \	 Ithaca, NY 14853
          _\     \_,
       {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,vax135}!cornell!lasspvax!langer

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (02/08/86)

In article <572@hounx.UUCP> kort@hounx.UUCP (B.KORT) writes:
>The current issue of Smithsonian has a guest column on modern-day worries
>by Richard Wolkomir.  The author picks up a nasty new macroworry:
>
>	...physicists Piet Hut and Martin J. Rees, of the Institute
>	for Advanced Studies in Princeton, New Jersey, have dreamed
>	up a beauty.  They have a notion that new particle accelerators
>	may create subatomic collisions intense enough to trigger a
>	chain reaction and thus vaporize the entire Universe!

Ever see "Plan 9 from Outer Space"?  Truly a wonderful film.

>		Such a macroworry is exquisite.  While we stand by,
>	physicists are planning giant accelerators.  A scientist in
>	a white smock will soon throw that switch.  And for thousands
>	of people the last thought before the cosmos winks out, is
>	sure to be, "Darn, why didn't I start a petition?"
>
>Anybody heard about this theory?  It all sounds a bit preposterous,
>but then much of modern physics is weird, as one poster recently
>observed.  Do I have time to have a little fun in life before we
>blow it?

I saw a paper in a conference on inflationary big bang theories discussing
the question of whether the universe might still be in a metastable state.
Their conclusion was that it was possible, and that the expected quantum
jump out of the well would be the end of the universe as we know it.  The
affect would start at random somewhere, and propagate at the speed of light
everywhere else.

If you insist on worrying about life, the universe, and everything, you as
might as well worry big.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

breuel@h-sc1.UUCP (thomas breuel) (02/08/86)

|In article <572@hounx.UUCP> kort@hounx.UUCP (B.KORT) writes:
||	              They have a notion that new particle accelerators
||	may create subatomic collisions intense enough to trigger a
||	chain reaction and thus vaporize the entire Universe!
|
|When the first nuclear bomb was exploded by the Manhattan project, there was
|a pool started to predict the force of the explosion. One scientist predicted
|that most of New Mexico would be wiped off the face of the Earth.
|
|Another scientist predicted that the reaction could not be halted, and would
|eventually consume the entire planet, perhaps continuing to destroy the
|entire Universe!!!!!!

Isn't it funny? When molecular biologists started working with recombinant
DNA, there were actually bozos who thought it was dangerous!!!!! :-(

We must be careful with technologies that are not well understood.
Molecular biologists worked with extreme care and precautions until
it was found that recombinant DNA from non-pathogenic organisms is
harmless. I wish that physicists had exercised the same caution
when exploding the first fission and fusion bombs. I am not certain
about the historical development, but it seems to me that *at the
time* of the first atomic bomb, there was no way to exclude the
possibility of starting a chain reaction in the atmosphere or ground
with a reasonable degree of certainty. It does not matter whether
it turned out to be 'harmless' after all, if there is the possibility
that an experiment endangers the survival of our whole species, it
is irresponsible and criminal to conduct it.

						Thomas.

lmc@cisden.UUCP (Lyle McElhaney) (02/09/86)

> When the first nuclear bomb was exploded by the Manhattan project, there was
> a pool started to predict the force of the explosion. One scientist predicted
> that most of New Mexico would be wiped off the face of the Earth.
>
> Another scientist predicted that the reaction could not be halted, and would
> eventually consume the entire planet, perhaps continuing to destroy the
> entire Universe!!!!!!

Yup, and some of them also wondered early on whether the thing would work
at all; they didn't want all that expensively processed U235 spread all
over New Mexico when the TNT starter went off and the rest fizzled, so
they had a large (40'x10'?) steel bottle built to explode the first bomb
in. That way they could scrape the U235 off the walls (well, someone
could) if it didn't work. The thing weighed hundreds of tons, was built
and shipped to the site, but never used. I think its in some museum in NM
(maybe one built around it?)

Lyle McElhaney
...!hao!cisden!lmc

tan@ihlpg.UUCP (Bill Tanenbaum) (02/11/86)

> Isn't it funny? When molecular biologists started working with recombinant
> DNA, there were actually bozos who thought it was dangerous!!!!! :-(
>
> We must be careful with technologies that are not well understood.
> Molecular biologists worked with extreme care and precautions until
> it was found that recombinant DNA from non-pathogenic organisms is
> harmless. I wish that physicists had exercised the same caution
> when exploding the first fission and fusion bombs. I am not certain
> about the historical development, but it seems to me that *at the
> time* of the first atomic bomb, there was no way to exclude the
> possibility of starting a chain reaction in the atmosphere or ground
> with a reasonable degree of certainty. It does not matter whether
> it turned out to be 'harmless' after all, if there is the possibility
> that an experiment endangers the survival of our whole species, it
> is irresponsible and criminal to conduct it.
>
> 						Thomas.
---
ANY new experiment POSSIBLY may endanger the survival of our species.
Unless you are willing to define:
	1) What is a reasonable degree of certainty?
	2) Who decides what the probability for disaster
	of a given experiment are?  By what criteria?
	3) Should or should not the possible benefits of such an
	experiment be weighed in the balance?  Who judges the benefits?
such talk is meaningless.
--
Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan

guy@slu70.UUCP (Guy M. Smith) (02/11/86)

In article <793@lasspvax.UUCP>, langer@lasspvax.UUCP (Stephen Langer) writes:
> I've heard of a theory that the universe is really in a metastable state
> and that some low temp experiment might someday reach a temperature
> low enough to initiate the phase transition to the universe's
> true ground state. Fortunately, you don't have to worry about anything --
> the phase boundary will propagate at the speed of light so
> you won't see it coming.  :-)
> --
Some people would make a case that we're already so degenerate that we won't
even notice:-).

breuel@h-sc1.UUCP (thomas breuel) (02/12/86)

||Isn't it funny? When molecular biologists started working with recombinant
||DNA, there were actually bozos who thought it was dangerous!!!!! :-(
||We must be careful with technologies that are not well understood.
||Molecular biologists worked with extreme care and precautions until
||it was found that recombinant DNA from non-pathogenic organisms is
||harmless. I wish that physicists had exercised the same caution
||when exploding the first fission and fusion bombs. I am not certain
||about the historical development, but it seems to me that *at the
||time* of the first atomic bomb, there was no way to exclude the
||possibility of starting a chain reaction in the atmosphere or ground
||with a reasonable degree of certainty. It does not matter whether
||it turned out to be 'harmless' after all, if there is the possibility
||that an experiment endangers the survival of our whole species, it
||is irresponsible and criminal to conduct it.
|
|ANY new experiment POSSIBLY may endanger the survival of our species.
|Unless you are willing to define:
|	1) What is a reasonable degree of certainty?
|	2) Who decides what the probability for disaster
|	of a given experiment are?  By what criteria?
|	3) Should or should not the possible benefits of such an
|	experiment be weighed in the balance?  Who judges the benefits?
|such talk is meaningless.

[Sorry for quoting the whole thing again]

No, you cannot hide behind administrative mumbo-jumbo to avoid the question.
This is not a question of 'who decides' or 'how can we weigh'. If
YOU are a scientist and other people are uttering doubts about
the safety of YOUR experiments, you MUST take them seriously.
This is YOUR PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY as a scientist.

As the self-control of molecular biologists has shown, scientists
are willing to slow down their research and avoid experiments that
are potentially dangerous. What worries me is that such self-control
is in effect discouraged by existing funding and employment policies.
If you study the Manhattan project, for example, you will find that the
logistics and psychology of the project precluded this self-control of
scientists. It was only after the war that many members of the scientific
staff began to reflect on the implications of their project.

						Thomas.

PS: needless to state explicitely that I believe that there is no
possible benefit, political, ethical, moral, economical, that
justifies an experiment that poses a threat to the survival of
our species. Once there are no humans anymore, there is no-one to
benefit anymore either... (but, then, there is no-one left to accuse the
experimentor of mass-murder either).

rimey@ernie.berkeley.edu.BERKELEY.EDU (Ken &) (02/12/86)

In article <1987@orca.UUCP> kendalla@orca.UUCP (Kendall Auel) writes:
>When the first nuclear bomb was exploded by the Manhattan project, there was
>a pool started to predict the force of the explosion. One scientist predicted
>that most of New Mexico would be wiped off the face of the Earth.
>
>Another scientist predicted that the reaction could not be halted, and would
>eventually consume the entire planet,

Enrico Fermi.  It was a joke.

>perhaps continuing to destroy the entire Universe!!!!!!

This doesn't sound right.

					Ken Rimey

bourland@godot.UUCP (Dan Bourland) (02/14/86)

It wasn't a joke that the atomic bomb yield was calculated.
People had all sorts of guesses.  It was Fermi that had a few
scraps of paper in his hand for his test.  As the pressure wave
went by, that is a wind from the explosion, he released the scraps
and did a BOTEC (Back Of The Envelope Calculation) based on the
distance the scraps travelled.  His calculation was pretty much
on the mark (I don't remember the accuracy).

Also, the fear was real, and theoretically investigated by Edward
Teller, that the bomb might ignite the atmosphere.  Teller's
calculations showed this effect would not happen.  I don't think
anyone was worried about the Universe going up in smoke.

Dan Bourland                 <decvax!mcnc!unc!godot!bourland>
Radiation Oncology
UNC School of Medicine
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27514

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (02/19/86)

In article <937@h-sc1.UUCP>, breuel@h-sc1.UUCP (thomas breuel) writes:
> |ANY new experiment POSSIBLY may endanger the survival of our species.
> |Unless you are willing to define:
> |	1) What is a reasonable degree of certainty?
> |	2) Who decides what the probability for disaster
> |	of a given experiment are?  By what criteria?
> |	3) Should or should not the possible benefits of such an
> |	experiment be weighed in the balance?  Who judges the benefits?
> |such talk is meaningless.
> No, you cannot hide behind administrative mumbo-jumbo to avoid the question.
> This is not a question of 'who decides' or 'how can we weigh'. If
> YOU are a scientist and other people are uttering doubts about
> the safety of YOUR experiments, you MUST take them seriously.
> This is YOUR PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY as a scientist.

Umm, hows that again?  I thought the first poster was making the case
that there is always SOME uncertainty; and, therefor, some risk of
destroying the human race, in any experiment.  It is a matter of
degree rather than kind.  While I may hold that at some DEGREE of
risk, we need restraint; I don't hold that at ANY risk we need
restraint.  At the same time, if ones peers are concerned, this
might be a valid indicator of sufficient degree of risk...

For instance (this is extreme, yes, but is intended to illustrate
the idea of minescule but non zero risk):  Say I planned to
test a pesticide on fruit flies.  The stuff is very mildly
mutagenic.  A virus in the fly is mutated to a lethal strain.
End of human race.  Does this mean no testing of pesticides?
What about testing of soap?  Drugs?  Where to draw the line?
At a REASONABLE probability.  It is NOT impossible for a new
virus to be created in this way.  It could be created by the
random action of cosmic rays, for that matter.  It IS HIGHLY
UNLIKELY.  That is the nub.

I think it is not hiding behind mumbo jumbo to address the
fundamental issues.  Unless you can prove that some experiment
contains ABSOLUTLY NO RISK WHATSOEVER, the premise that the magnitude
must be weighed is valid.
--
E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything.