[net.physics] Anyone heard of Mr. Neumann?

bde@ihlpl.UUCP (Ewbank) (02/28/86)

hi --
	First off: Please, no "this is impossible" type letters.  I
	realize that it sounds somewhat more than strange....

	I was watching "The Tonight Show" last night and one of
	Mr. Carson's guests was an inventor named Neumann who had (he
	claimed) invented a device which produced more conventional
	energy that it used.  The kicker was that this device was
	somehow converting *magnetic* energy into electrical energy.
	Since this was "The Tonight Show," there was not exactly an
	in-depth report.  Does anyone know more about this Mr. Neumann
	and his device?

	The US Patent office turned him down because such a device is
	"impossible to make."  I remember that the Wright Bros. were
	told the same thing...

	thanks for any info.

-- Bryan Ewbank, 312/979-4296, !ihnp4!ihlpl!bde,
   ih 6M-523 / AT&T Bell Labs / Naperville, IL  60566
--

In article <654@ihlpl.UUCP> bde@ihlpl.UUCP (Ewbank) writes:
>	I was watching "The Tonight Show" last night and one of
>	Mr. Carson's guests was an inventor named Neumann who had (he
>	claimed) invented a device which produced more conventional
>	energy that it used.  The kicker was that this device was
>	somehow converting *magnetic* energy into electrical energy.
>	Since this was "The Tonight Show," there was not exactly an
>	in-depth report.  Does anyone know more about this Mr. Neumann
>	and his device?

First of all, Neumann claims (not very clearly) that what his device
does is to extract energy from the ATOMS of the materials used to
construct it.

Anyone who is expert in physics could poke holes in Neumann's
explanations as given on the Tonight Show.  He (as he admits)
is not schooled in physics, and it shows; he has apparently
never heard that there is energy in the E-M field itself, he
doesn't realize that reversing the legs of his horseshoe
magnet produced a spatially-rotated situation, so that symmetry
demanded that current be induced in the opposite direction
(Neumann seemed to believe it has something to do with gyroscopic
effects), etc.  I think the fellow is sincere, but he doesn't
appreciate the vast difference between careful scientific
investigation (such as has led to the modern understanding of
electromagnetism, or even that at the turn of the century) and
imaginative guesswork involving trying to apply "common sense"
to uncommon phenomena.

The "Neumann device" wasn't well described on the show, except
for the claim that it put out 3 times the energy put into it,
but it appeared to be not much more than a rather routine
motor-generator with a low output duty cycle and/or a highly
reactive load.  People who are not careful enough may jump to
the conclusion that such a device is dissipating more energy
into its load than it actually is.

>	The US Patent office turned him down because such a device is
>	"impossible to make."  I remember that the Wright Bros. were
>	told the same thing...

The Patent Office considers the Neumann device to be a "perpetual
motion machine" and as such it is subject to their long-standing
policy not to grant patents to perpetual motion machines.  (That
policy appears to be an attempt to avoid a flood of worthless
proposals.)  Neumann himself seems to be unaware that connecting
the output of his device to its own input would produce something
that looks amazingly like a perpetual motion machine.  Since
Neumann thinks he has an atomic engine, it isn't really a
perpetual motion machine, so he might as well be granted a patent.

This discussion should continue on the physics newsgroup only if
someone thinks he understands Neumann's physical theories and
believes there is some merit to them (in which case, please
explain them to us).

greg@harvard.UUCP (Greg) (03/03/86)

In article <654@ihlpl.UUCP> bde@ihlpl.UUCP (Ewbank) writes:
>hi --
>	First off: Please, no "this is impossible" type letters.  I
>	realize that it sounds somewhat more than strange....
>
>	I was watching "The Tonight Show" last night and one of
>	Mr. Carson's guests was an inventor named Neumann who had (he
>	claimed) invented a device which produced more conventional
>	energy that it used.  The kicker was that this device was
>	somehow converting *magnetic* energy into electrical energy.
>	Since this was "The Tonight Show," there was not exactly an
>	in-depth report.  Does anyone know more about this Mr. Neumann
>	and his device?

Ok, I will not say "This is imposssible" in the following reply:

Yes, I have heard of him.  He is a fraud.  Discover had an article on him
a year or two ago.  Look for the "Skeptical Eye" column in back issues.
As for the machine itself, all I have to say is that Mr. Neumann's physics
are inconsistent with Mr. Neumann's physics as well as everyone else's
physics.

Finally, a simple way to figure out whether or not someone has invented
an energy-generating machine:  Can it be put in a stationary, closed
container and still work?  Mr. Neumann's cannot, since it plugs into an
electrical outlet.
--
gregregreg

kwh@bentley.UUCP (KW Heuer) (03/04/86)

In article <654@ihlpl.UUCP> ihlpl!bde (Bryan Ewbank) writes:

>... an inventor named Neumann who had (he claimed) invented a device which
>produced more conventional energy that it used.  The kicker was that this
>device was somehow converting *magnetic* energy into electrical energy.
>The US Patent office turned him down ... "impossible to make."

Interesting that your article did not contain the phrase "Perpetual Motion
Machine".  I would wager that Mr. Neumann himself avoided that term.

Clearly that's what the Patent Office thinks it is; they got fed up with
all the PMM applications and made a rule to cover it.  If my understanding
is correct, Mr. Neumann can appeal that ruling by demonstrating a working
model of his device.  Since he has apparently chosen instead to appear on
the Tonight Show, I am somewhat skeptical.

If his device works, and is converting magnetic energy into electrical,
then the obvious question is, Where is the magnetic energy coming from?
Do you power it with a permanent magnet which gradually loses its magnetism,
or is it supposed to use the Earth's magnetic field, or what?

bde@ihlpl.UUCP (Ewbank) (03/04/86)

ahem.  I've been informed by several [friendly..rude] letters that I
am about one year behind net.physics when I ask about Mr. Neumann and
his "magical magnetic device."  I therefore retract my query about
said person and device.

Did anyone keep archives of that discussion?  of net.physics in
general?  I'd like pointers only.  Don't think the machine could deal
with N copies of net.physics.archive.

Thanks ^ 10e6
--

greg@harvard.UUCP (Greg) (03/04/86)

In article <609@bentley.UUCP> kwh@bentley.UUCP (KW Heuer) writes:
>If his device works, and is converting magnetic energy into electrical,
>then the obvious question is, Where is the magnetic energy coming from?
>Do you power it with a permanent magnet which gradually loses its magnetism,
>or is it supposed to use the Earth's magnetic field, or what?

According to Discover magazine, Mr. Neumannn's machine is an electric motor.
Its power comes from an electrical outlet.
--
gregregreg

waddingt@umn-cs.UUCP (Jake Waddington ) (03/13/86)

In article <609@bentley.UUCP> kwh@bentley.UUCP (KW Heuer) writes:
>In article <654@ihlpl.UUCP> ihlpl!bde (Bryan Ewbank) writes:
>
>>... an inventor named Neumann who had (he claimed) invented a device which
>>produced more conventional energy that it used.  The kicker was that this
>>device was somehow converting *magnetic* energy into electrical energy.
>>The US Patent office turned him down ... "impossible to make."
>
>Interesting that your article did not contain the phrase "Perpetual Motion
>Machine".  I would wager that Mr. Neumann himself avoided that term.
>
>Clearly that's what the Patent Office thinks it is; they got fed up with

PLEASE, PLEASE !

Let's not start the Neumann discussion again. Enough is enough. Read past
postings if you want but let's not get in to it again.

Paul Fink