[net.physics] effects of pollution

mvs@meccts.UUCP (Michael V. Stein) (08/20/86)

>> I think one of the most important differences between the effects of
>> nuclear and chemical power generation has been overlooked. The effects
>> of a nuclear accident, either reactor failure or waste spill is
>> localized. It is very bad for those close to it, but has almost no
>> effect on those farther away...
>> Joel Swank

>This is ridiculous.  Tell the northern Italians and the Welsh that waste
>from Chernobyl was localized!!
>-Mark

Well although the media once again went into the panic mode, when they heard
the word nuclear, the facts speak for themselves.  The data
collected by US embassys has now been collated and evaluated by the
EPA.  In Kiev, let alone the West Europe, the dose received in the
first four days was about 300 millirems, or roughly the dose
recieved by citizens daring to live in Colorado for a year.
(And well below the 500 millirems allowed as an occupational risk
in the US.)  The dose received by West Germans was estimated at
about 25 millirems.

The dose recieved by the people actually working in the plant is
estimated by Dr. Henry Hurwitz of being up to 1000 rems an hour.  This
means the personell in the plant would recieve a lethal dose in about
a half-hour.

--
Michael V. Stein
Minnesota Educational Computing Corporation - Technical Services

UUCP	ihnp4!dicome!meccts!mvs

mwg@petrus.UUCP (Mark Garrett) (08/20/86)

++
> >> The effects
> >> of a nuclear accident, either reactor failure or waste spill is
> >> localized. It is very bad for those close to it, but has almost no
> >> effect on those farther away...
> >> Joel Swank
>
> >This is ridiculous.  Tell the northern Italians and the Welsh that waste
> >from Chernobyl was localized!!
> >-Mark
>
> Well although the media once again went into the panic mode, when they heard
> the word nuclear, the facts speak for themselves....
> In Kiev, let alone the West Europe, the dose received in the
> first four days was about 300 millirems, or roughly the dose
> recieved by citizens daring to live in Colorado for a year....
> The dose received by West Germans was estimated at
> about 25 millirems.
> Michael V. Stein

Well perhaps I should elaborate.  I checked with my "source," a friend
working in a nuclear research lab in Ispra, Italy.  That lab is
administrated by the Commission of European Communities (part of the
EEC).  I wasn't sure if the information he told me was public before,
so I didn't give any details.

Ispra is close to the Italian/Swiss boarder.  After Chernobyl they
measured radiation levels "far in excess" of normal conditions for
the area and discovered traces of radioactive iodine, cesium and other
fallout.  They are very worried and are sure that health problems
due to this contamination will become apparent in the next 10-15 years.

I also heard on the radio (the week after the accident) that a shipment
of vegetables arriving in Vancouver, Canada from northern Italy had
to be dumped because of radiation problems.

Radiation levels were unacceptably high in meat of Lambs in Italy
and Wales (although I can't remember the source for that one).
The Italians were particularly upset because they had been consuming
the meat for a few weeks before it was discovered.

Anyway my impression from talking to my friend (and visiting Ispra
in July) was that they are quite concerned and angry because a)
this accident happened in the first place, b) the soviets were
irresponsible in notifying affected populations in Europe and
c) there are not sufficient international means for controlling
such contamination and accidents.

-Mark Garrett

mvs@meccts.UUCP (Michael V. Stein) (08/22/86)

In article <281@petrus.UUCP> mwg@petrus.UUCP (Mark Garrett) writes:

>Ispra is close to the Italian/Swiss boarder.  After Chernobyl they
>measured radiation levels "far in excess" of normal conditions for
>the area and discovered traces of radioactive iodine, cesium and other
>fallout.  They are very worried and are sure that health problems
>due to this contamination will become apparent in the next 10-15 years.

Could you get any numbers on the above releases?  Doses of radiation
measuring a couple of hundred millirem, are significant in terms of
what can be measured.  The health effects though are not very
significant when 5 rem is allowed as an occupational hazard.

If the numbers are much higher than what I quoted, I would be
interested in hearing them.

>Anyway my impression from talking to my friend (and visiting Ispra
>in July) was that they are quite concerned and angry because a)
>this accident happened in the first place, b) the soviets were
>irresponsible in notifying affected populations in Europe and
>c) there are not sufficient international means for controlling
>such contamination and accidents.

Agreed.  The Soviet arrogance was amazing.
--
Michael V. Stein
Minnesota Educational Computing Corporation - Technical Services

UUCP	ihnp4!dicome!meccts!mvs

mwg@petrus.UUCP (Mark Garrett) (08/25/86)

++
> >Ispra is close to the Italian/Swiss boarder.  After Chernobyl they
> >measured radiation levels "far in excess" of normal conditions...

> Could you get any numbers on the above releases?...

I left my description qualitative since I don't have access to
numbers.  If and when they are released, I'll post them.
-Mark