[net.music] Dead stuff still alive - too bad the listeners aren't

davidl@tekig5.UUCP (David Levadie) (05/08/85)

-------
>> Once the last of us Deadheads gains access to the new group, will
>> there be nothing left in net.music but a bunch of bores who
>> derive a feeling of intellectual superiority because of their
>> oh-so-sophisticated tastes and scorn such truly enjoyable "tripe"
>> as The Grateful Dead?

>No. Quite the contrary.
>
>				<inscrutable expression>
>				    Jeff Winslow

additionally, there's a whole BUNCH of us out here NOT on net.music who
derive a feeling of intellectual superiority because of our totally
barbarian enjoyment of hardcore punk rock which EVEN YOU SCUMBAG
DEADHEADS are too yuppie-sophisticated to enjoy...

nm34@sdcc12.UUCP (nm34) (05/09/85)

In article <81@tekig5.UUCP>, davidl@tekig5.UUCP (David Levadie) writes:
> -------
> >> Once the last of us Deadheads gains access to the new group, will
> >> there be nothing left in net.music but a bunch of bores who
> >> derive a feeling of intellectual superiority because of their
> >> oh-so-sophisticated tastes and scorn such truly enjoyable "tripe"
> >> as The Grateful Dead?
>
> >No. Quite the contrary.
> >
> >				<inscrutable expression>
> >				    Jeff Winslow
>

> additionally, there's a whole BUNCH of us out here NOT on net.music who
> derive a feeling of intellectual superiority because of our totally
> barbarian enjoyment of hardcore punk rock which EVEN YOU SCUMBAG
> DEADHEADS are too yuppie-sophisticated to enjoy...

    The machine said to supress any unneccessary verbiage, but if I had
done so, there wouldn't have been anything left.  So I ignorred the
request.

     I think Jeff Winslow was totally out of line to put down all people
on net.music and the unsigned asshole who responded was even more out of
line.  As a proud SCUMBAG DEADHEAD who does not fit into yuppie
stereotypes I was not surprised that someone who was into hardcore punk
could make such sweeping generalizations about DEADHEADS.   The reason I
am not surprized is that I have found a tendancy in the music of the
punk style to be lacking in the sensitivity and humanity of the types of
music I enjoy.

        "SCUMBAGS of the world unite.  You have nothing to lose at all."

                           Andy Bindman

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Arthur Pewtey) (05/14/85)

>      As a proud SCUMBAG DEADHEAD who does not fit into yuppie
> stereotypes I was not surprised that someone who was into hardcore punk
> could make such sweeping generalizations about DEADHEADS.   The reason I
> am not surprized is that I have found a tendancy in the music of the
> punk style to be lacking in the sensitivity and humanity of the types of
> music I enjoy.   [ANDY BINDMAN]

As opposed to the intense sensitivity and feeling induced by listening to
four hour jams on the same two notes by drugged out musicians.  As long
as generalizations are in vogue.

(The most hysterical part of the article was the author referring to Jeff
Winslow as "someone who was into hardcore punk".  He couldn't have been
referring to David Lobotomy, because he thought his article was "unsigned".
Jeff, I honestly didn't know.  What would a band consisting of you, Levadie,
and me sound like?)
--
"Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end."
						Rich Rosen   pyuxd!rlr