[net.games.pbm] When to post Dippy turn results?

myers@uwmacc.UUCP (Latitudinarian Lobster) (07/16/85)

There has been some discussion in one of the games I'm in about when
turn result postings should be posted in net.games.pbm.  I'm wondering
what a wider audience thinks about this, so I'd like to see the issue
discussed publically.

Here's how I look at it -- I prefer to have the results posted immediately.
This has the advantage of making it more likely that the
players in the game will receive the turn results promptly.

``But what about kibbitzers?'' someone cries.  Well, in the ``real'' world
of international diplomacy at the turn of the century (and certainly after),
there were lots of kibbitzers which influenced the decisions of the
people in power -- newspapers, military journals, etc.  As long as no
inside information is leaked by the kibbitzer, I see no problem with
people posting comments on their view of the world.  Also, some folks are
blessed with their own in-house tacticians wherever they work/study --
not everyone is so lucky.

jeff myers

cjn@calmasd.UUCP (Cheryl Nemeth) (07/20/85)

I agree; post as soon as possible.

electrohome@watcgl.UUCP (electrohome) (07/24/85)

In article <1287@uwmacc.UUCP> myers@uwmacc.UUCP (Jeff Myers a.k.a.
	Latitudinarian Lobster) writes:
>Here's how I look at it -- I prefer to have the results posted immediately.
Me too.

>This has the advantage of making it more likely that the
>players in the game will receive the turn results promptly.
The key word here is *likely*.  In most cases, mail is 2 to 3 times faster but
where the advantage really comes in is if there is a foulup in the E-mail
path (e.g. cbosgd having air-conditioning problems, as happened last week).
If the results are going to be posted anyway, why not post early rather than
late.

>``But what about kibbitzers?'' someone cries.  Well, in the ``real'' world
>of international diplomacy at the turn of the century (and certainly after),
>there were lots of kibbitzers which influenced the decisions of the
>people in power -- newspapers, military journals, etc.
>Also, some folks are blessed with their own in-house tacticians wherever
>they work/study -- not everyone is so lucky.
Definitely!  Let's share the wealth and benefit from it.

>As long as no inside information is leaked by the kibbitzer, I see no
>problem with people posting comments on their view of the world.
No problem so far and I don't really forsee it being a problem.

				-Carlo Sgro
				 Electrohome Canada
				 Computer Graphics Division

				 England in the St. Johns' game