know:  I'd like to find out if there was a pattern of some sort.)

>From uucp Wed Oct 27 07:43:04 1982
rnews
AERROR - (ret != -1) LOCK PROBLEM - LCK.SEQL-----
From: decvax!cca!clyde@Utexas-11@sri-unix
Newsgroups: net.unix-wizards
Title: Reply to: efficiency of /etc/passwd lookup

From: Clyde W Hoover <clyde@Utexas-11>
Date: 23 Oct 1982 at 2042-CDT
We here at Utexas are working on a UNIX User Data Base system
that contains all the sort of things you suggest. I designed the
system along lines such as you mentioned. We will be keeping all
accounting information in the data base, program privilegdes (in
particular ARPANET access), and all sorts of other goodies.

In addition, there is a 'whois' user information block that users
can set (real name, phone #, colleagues, etc - like the 20
finger/whowill be data base). This data is publicly readable
while the system data will not be. We will be generating
/etc/passwd from this data base, and I plan to do some really
sick things to the encrypted passwords in /etc/passwd (since we
won't be using them for anything real) to lead totally astray any
brute-forcers.

The access and modification libary routines are completed and I
am now working on the first version of the data base manager. I
hope to have something that can be looked at by other folks
sometime towards the end of November, by Usenix next Jan.  for
sure (maybe not a distribution, but we'll see).

I plan for the data base to affect the operation of the system in
many essential ways. Most importantly, we will have total
administrative control over user capabilites (disk quotas,
whether they can send or recieve mail, even if they can change
their password). There are a lot more possibilities that I have
only begun to think about, and won't know the feasability of
until we actually start using it.
-------

-----

From: decvax!harpo!ihps3!ihuxr!dlr
Newsgroups: net.jokes
Title: Re: trb

Well folks, the show is over. The Great Pavod (cwruecmp!krm) is on to our
game. The truth finally comes out, but Andy is not the only one. Actually,
ALL items that come from BTL sites are the result of an AI project. Each
and every last submission is really the work of a deamon on the machine
that spawns the article. Why, just this morning I had to be re-started
after my water bed took a floating exception...

				Not afraid to core dump,
					Dave Rosik
					ihuxr!dlr
					BTL Naperville
					PID 13746
-----

From: decvax!harpo!ihps3!ixn5h!dcn
Newsgroups: net.micro
Title: More Ultimate Computer Games

	One of the most sophisticated computer games ever written
is now available for home computers.  Zork is a large and complex
decendant of original Adventure.  It was first implemented on main-
frame machines, but has been adapted to micros by releasing it in
three parts.

	Zork's most interesting feature is the English-like input
language, which allows for much more flexibility than "take rock"
or "kill dragon".  A short example follows:

	Kitchen
	You are in the kitchen of the white house.  A table
	seems to have neen used recently for the preparation
	of food.  A passage leads to the west and a dark
	staircase can be seen leading upward.  A dark chimney
	leads down and to the east is a small window which is
	open.
	On the table is an elongated brown sack, smelling
	of hot peppers.  A bottle is sitting on the table.
	The glass bottle contains:
		A quantity of water.
	> PICK UP
	pick up what?
	> ALL BUT SACK
	kitchen table: An interesting idea...
	glass bottle: Taken.
	quantity of water: I can't reach that.
	> TAKE SACK
	Taken.
	> LOOK IN SACK
	The brown sack is closed.
	> OPEN SACK
	Opening the brown sack reveals a lunch, and a
	clove of garlic.
	> TAKE LUNCH OUT
	Taken.
	> TAKE CLOVE THEN PUT BOTTLE IN SACK
	Taken.
	Done.
	> LOOK IN SACK
	The brown sack contains:
	A glass bottle.
	The glass bottle contains:
		A quantity of water

	The other features of Zork include: large vocabulary,
interesting puzzles to solve, other characters (troll, thief),
witty remarks to dumb questions, and figuring out how to win.

	In short, Zork is a small universe to explore and
conquer.  It is a very attractive alternative to the "hack &
slash" variety of "adventures" and the never-ending flow of
arcade games from 15 year old hackers.  For more information,
see the list of articles appended.

				David Newkirk
				ixn5h!dcn

"Zork: A Computerized Fantasy Simulation Game", by P. Lebling,
	M. Blank and T. Anderson, Computer, April 1979, p51-59.

"How to Fit a Large Program into a Small Machine", M. Blank and
	S. Galley, Creative Computing, July 1980, p80-87.

"Zork and the Future of Computerized Fantasy Simulations",
	P. Lebling, Byte, December 1980, p172-182.
-----

From: decvax!harpo!ihps3!ixn5c!inuxc!pur-ee!CSvax:mds
Newsgroups: net.unix-wizards
Title: want Pascal compiler with default case for TeX82

     Am installing Don Knuth's TeX82 document compiler on a
   VAX 11/780 running Berkeley UNIX 4.1bsd.  The task would
   be easier if we had a Pascal compiler that supported default
   cases in the case statement.  Presently running Berkeley
   Pascal 2.0.  Anybody have a suitable compiler?  Please
   respond via mail.
		Mark Senn     mds@purdue
			      ...!decvax!pur-ee!purdue!mds
-----

From: decvax!harpo!ihps3!ixn5c!inuxc!pur-ee!CSvax:ncrday!larry
Newsgroups: net.unix-wizards
Title: Re: 11/24 and 11/44 printf problems

UNIX System III is already ported to the PDP-11/44.  I did it about a year
ago and it has been made available to the world at large through AT&T in
Greensboro, NC.  You may want to contact them for the appropriate tapes
and documentation.  I also added an RK06/7 driver, fixed a bug (I think I
did) in the RL01/2 driver, changed the TE16 driver to work as a UNIBUS device,
and updated all relevant documentation (AT&T doesn't print these changes,
but they are in the machine readable form of the tape).

In relation to your question, I came accross the same problem, but that phase
of the project was changed such that the VAX-11/730 became the target machine,
so a solution was not pursued.  Since then, I've left Western Electric and
no longer have access to a PDP-11/44.

Internally, AT&T also has the Version 7 system I moved to the 44 and UNIX 4.0.
After that, I lost interest as has the Bell System in general with PDP-11s.
I should also state that the system did work well on the 44 (outside of the
problem indicated), but Berkeley 2.? for PDP-11s is a much more usable system
and I would prefer it wherever possible.

						Larry Rogers
						purdue!ncrday!larry
-----

From: decvax!harpo!npoiv!alice!rabbit!jj
Newsgroups: net.followup
Title: Re: How can they do this

	Well, Kurt, that wasn't my last word.   I read your article again, and
fixated on the part that aruged that the person must have some responsibility
for their plight.   That statement is untrue, very offensive to me, and also
ignores the realities and psychology of families without income.  In my
own situation, I went to college from an economically depressed region,
around Youngstown, Ohio, where even lousy jobs didn't exist.  My father was
dead, my mother 60 years old and on pension, and myself without any financial
resources from the past.  I challenge you to show me that I could have fixed
the economy of the area, brought my father back to life, found employment for
my mother, and created $20,000 of savings.  What I could do, I did.  I nearly
killed myself trying.  While it certainly wasn't your fault that this happened,
or anyone's for that matter, I greatly resent your assumption that I had
control over the situation.(I realize that you do not know me,
and you were not directing your comments directly to me, but
your statement included me, and I reserve the right to flame back.)
Furthermore, I resent your lumping all "economically disadvantaged persons"
under the same heading.  So would, I suspect, a lot of other people.
For the record, I am White, Celtic, and Protestant, and thus I didn't even
qualify for the (VERY MINIMAL) affirmative action programs that were then
in force, in fact, they continually siphoned resources away from me.

rabbit!jj, who is unsubscribing to this newsgroup until he feels the adrenalin
shutting off.

-----

From: decvax!harpo!ihps3!ixn5c!inuxc!pur-ee!uiucdcs!mcdaniel
Newsgroups: net.singles
Title: Re: Dear bmcjmp - (nf)

#R:rabbit:-83800:uiucdcs:26600001:000:164
uiucdcs!mcdaniel    Oct 25 22:27:00 1982

Half of the messages on this net have "typogarphical erors", though.
Depending on subtle spellings to get your point across on this net
is definitely a *bad* idea.

-----

From: decvax!ittvax!swatt
Newsgroups: net.unix-wizards
Title: Re: register variables

	From: Brian Harvey <BH at SU-AI>
	Date: 22 Oct 1982 0752-PDT
	When I started working on a PDP-11/70, I was told by someone or
	other that the architecture of that machine was such that cache
	references were actually FASTER than register references, and
	therefore ints should NOT be declared as register ints.
	Registers should still be used for pointers which are being
	referenced through because that can be done in one instruction
	if the pointer is in a register.

	Question: what is the right register strategy for the Vax?
	Does it vary between models?

Someone gave you bad advice -- ALL references in pdp-11 architecture
are register-based.  You CAN'T get to cache without first fetching a
value out of a register.  If you're talking about C, and the choice is
between "register" and "auto" integers, the statement:

	register int foo = 0;

will be:

	clr r4

and

	int foo = 0;

will be:

	clr -4(r5)

You can look in the timing section of any pdp-11 processor handbook and
prove to yourself how much time the register declaration saves.  Both
compile into one instruction, but what counts is the number of memory
cycles needed to fetch and store all the operands.  What the processor
handbook will give is the cost of each memory cycle and the time to add
for each one if NOT found in cache.  So the base times assume 100%
cache hit.

I'm not that familiar with VAX, but the addressing scheme seems to be
the same.  Note that DEC does not publish VAX instruction times.

	- Alan S. Watt
-----

From: decvax!harpo!floyd!cmcl2!philabs!sdcsvax!logo
Newsgroups: net.records
Title: Re: more surfmusic

i will be talking to an uncle of a member of Honk sometime next week.
i will post to the net whatever i find out.

  David (Reisner)
  uucp :  ...!ucbvax!sdcsvax!logo
  arpanet : sdcsvax!logo@nprdc
-----

From: decvax!harpo!ihps3!ixn5c!inuxc!burton
Newsgroups: net.trivia
Title: TV Trivia Answers

The answers to the TV trivia questions I posted (with their questions):

1. The show I was thinking of which aired more than once a week was
Batman. Apparently, some others remembered Peyton Place also aired
more than once a week.

2. The only 2 45 minute prime time shows which I know of were
  Music Scene and The New People, which ran in late 1969. They
  were back to back (of course), from 7:30 to 8:15 and 8:15 to 9:00.
  Now, does anyone out there remember these shows (besides the one
  person who sent me the correct answer)?

As for the new trivia question, which neighbor on an old tv show
went on to direct a hit nostalgia tv show, that was the old Dick
Van Dyke show, and the neighbor was of course Rob's dentist-neighbor
Jerry (whose wife's name was Millie, although I can't remember their
last name); he later went on to direct the Happy Days show.

(I watch 'Entertainment Tonight' too!).

	Doug Burton
	inuxc!burton
-----

From: decvax!harpo!floyd!cmcl2!philabs!sdcsvax!davidson
Newsgroups: net.unix-wizards
Title: Re: Up with files that begin with a dot??

I use invisible . files for lots of purposes, which would otherwise require
an extra directory to contain them in EVERY regular directory:

1.  My rm (and mv, cp and ln where they would stomp a file) prepend the
file to be removed with a #, and stash them under the directory .save in
the directory the file is removed from (successive versions go into .save/1,
.save/2, etc.).  Thus, I never lose files, but they go away magically as
soon as they've been backed up (well, that night).

2.  My cd, push and pop aliases (push=pushd, pop=popd) are all of the
form `come ; ... ; go', where:
    alias come `if (-e .chdir_come) source .chdir_come'
    alias go   'if (-e .chdir_go) source .chdir_go'
provide the hooks that allow me to make directories active objects, in
which special aliases live, which start up programs automatically on
entering, and delete them when leaving, etc.

3.  EMACS leaves special . prefixed files in directories to allow EMACS to
default to editing the last file you edited in a particular directory.  Its
actually rather nice.

4.  .lock directories in a shared account I set up locked files against multiple
editing, by having vi check for (approximately)
head-of-filename/.lock/tail-of-filename to see if the file was being edited.

5.  .log provided a mechanism for logging the use of files in the same shared
account mentioned above.

`Invisible' files are great!  How can you doubt it after reading DEC WARS!?

Greg
-----

From: decvax!harpo!ihps3!ixn5c!inuxc!pur-ee!CSvax:dmc
Newsgroups: net.micro
Title: Request for info

Can anyone recommend a book or magazine article which contains a
compilation of the organizations and instruction sets of the current
widely-used microprocessors?

Thanks.
                                Dave Capka
                                purdue!dmc
                                dmc@purdue
-----

From: decvax!yale-com!bj
Newsgroups: net.unix-wizards
Title: Re: What"s the difference between UNIX and UN*X?

There are legal problems with using UNIX (tm). Every time you mention it,
the lawyers at Ma Bell want you to say it is a registered trademark of
somebody.  They also want the word to be an adjective ("The UNIX system"
rather than "UNIX").  Since I would never want to cause them problems
(I don't want to lose my phone), I avoid using the "adjective" UNIX.
Instead I use the (non-trademarked) noun UN*X.
					B.J.
					decvax!yale-comix!herbison-bj
					Herbison-BJ@Yale
-----

From: decvax!harpo!eagle!mhuxt!mhuxj!cbosgd!mark
Newsgroups: net.news.group
Title: Re: ads on the net

No commercial use of the ARPANET?  Are you sure?  There is lots of
commercial use of the ARPANET, there are entire companies who do
their business making heavy use of the ARPANET.  BBN and RAND are
two examples that come to mind.

I do know that, technically, any "use" of the ARPANET by someone
who is not a DOD contractor is illegal.  Some people interpret
this to include netnews articles originated by a person who is
not a DOD contractor, others (including myself) feel that anything
two consenting DOD contractors decide to send each other over the
ARPANET in order to help do their DOD contract (and netnews, as a
whole, helps them do their jobs) is OK.

If there really is a problem with the ARPANET, and the ARPANET sites
are worried that ads might be politically a bad thing to have appear
on their machine, those sites should speak up.

	Mark
-----

From: decvax!harpo!ihps3!houxi!houxn!hsc
Newsgroups: fa.works,net.works
Title: Info. wanted on desktop UNIX systems

I am compiling a set of descriptions of desktop,
microprocessor-based UNIX systems.  Pointers to
manufacturers, distributors, magazine articles,
reports, personal comments, sales literature, etc.
would be appreciated.  If there is sufficient interest
I will publish a summary.
Harvey S. Cohen (houxn!hsc)
1C314 Bell Labs
307 Middletown/Lincroft Rd.