[ont.uucp] lsuc converted to 2.11 news

dave@lsuc.UUCP (11/17/86)

This shouldn't make any difference to anyone except our
immediate neighbours, but just in case, I thought I'd
mention it.

Incidentally, I ran into some problems with the sys file;
I think it's more restrictive than 2.10.2, though I could
be wrong. In particular, a line with

radha:to.radha::/usr/bin/uux - radha!rnews

for example, did NOT work, where I believe it used to.
Problem is, a simple "postnews" with no explicit Distribution
implies Distribution: world rather than Distribution: to
(I think), and therefore a posting to to.radha didn't work
until I changed the sys line to

radha:world,!world.all,to.radha::/usr/bin/uux - radha!rnews

I believe this also means that to pass something other than
a full set of groups to a neighbour, you have to be very
careful. For example, if an article comes into news.admin
with distribution ont (i.e., aimed at Ontario news administrators),
I think you have to be distributing
	ont,!ont.all,news.admin
if you want it passed to another site to which you just want
to feed the news.admin group.

If anyone is clearer about exactly what you do and don't need in
the sys file in 2.11, and whether you really need things like
world,!world.all,talk,!talk.all,comp,!comp.all
etc. etc. in order to reliably pass specific groups only,
I'd appreciate hearing the details.

Dave Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
Toronto
--
{ ihnp4!utzoo  seismo!mnetor  utai  hcr  decvax!utcsri  } !lsuc!dave

larry@kitty.UUCP (11/18/86)

In article <1396@lsuc.UUCP>, dave@lsuc.UUCP writes:
> This shouldn't make any difference to anyone except our
> immediate neighbours, but just in case, I thought I'd mention it.
>
> Incidentally, I ran into some problems with the sys file ...

	I just converted `kitty' to 2.11 news last week, and ran into a
nasty problem which had me scratching my head for a day or so...

	At the time of conversion, I aliased ALL of the applicable old
newsgroups to their comp.* counterparts.  The day after conversion, I
started getting all sorts of mail failure messages from ihnp4 concerning
failed article submissions to moderated newsgroups.  Since `kitty' passes
traffic for several sites, it was not immediately apparent what site had
originated these rejected submissions since the mail failure messages
were addressed to kitty!root.
	So, before getting too concerned, I waited another day, and once
again I got deluged with these failed article submissions.
	Upon investigation, I saw that _certain_ incoming news articles
to kitty were being _automatically_ submitted by rnews to a backbone site
for transmission to a moderator!
	Upon further investigation, it turns out that if RNEWS SEES AN
ARTICLE FOR A MODERATED NEWSGROUP WITHOUT AN `APPROVED LINE', IT WILL
THEN SUBMIT THE ARTICLE AS IF IT WERE LOCALLY POSTED!  An examination of
the sys file indicated that the problem was NOT there.
	An examination of inews.c then localized the problem.  There is
a section if #IFDEF-ed code in inews.c called `DONTFOWARD' [sic].  The
purpose of this code IF DEFINED is to prevent the above from happening if
inews is invoked as rnews; it is normal for this to happen if inews is
invoked as inews since it is the 2.11 mechanism for moderated article
submission.
	NO WHERE in the documentation, defs.h or makefile was `DONTFOWARD'
ever mentioned.
	The solution to the problem was simple: I defined `DONTFOWARD' and
recompiled inews.
	Incidently, the reason why the problem was not immediately obvious
is that only about six newsgroups were affected BECAUSE they were still in
a transition from unmoderated --> moderated.  In my case, the problem groups
were: comp.sys.amiga, comp.sys.mac, comp.sources.unix, comp.sources.bugs,
comp.sources.games and comp.sources.mac.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|bbncca|decvax|nike|rocksanne|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231        {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|seismo|utzoo}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}    "Have you hugged your cat today?"