[ont.uucp] alt groups

As some of you may have heard, there are now some "alt" newsgroups being
passed around independently of the normal news transmission paths, in an
attempt to provide alternative channels for things that don't fit well
in the main group structure of Usenet.  Apart from a config group and a
test group, with obvious uses, the alt groups are:

	alt.gourmand	Brian Reid's reincarnation of the old mod.recipes
	alt.sources	a (so far) small unmoderated sources group
	alt.drugs	the old net.rec.drugs proposal under a new name

Utzoo is now getting all the alt groups *except* alt.drugs, and has just
started sending them down all our local feeds.  If you want them, you'll
have to adjust your sys file to accept them, and preferably to pass them
on to whoever you feed as well.  Mnetor is also getting alt.gourmand by
another route, and we are now exchanging it with them.

We're willing to bring the groups into the Toronto area for the moment,
although that may change if the volume starts to climb.  We do draw the
line at alt.drugs, which strikes us as simply too risky to carry:  anyone
who wants that will have to find another way of getting it, because utzoo
won't even distribute it locally, let alone import it Long Distance.
--
Support sustained spaceflight: fight |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
the soi-disant "Planetary Society"!  | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry

ron@mnetor.UUCP (Ron Miller) (08/10/87)

In article <8390@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>Utzoo is now getting all the alt groups *except* alt.drugs, and has just
>started sending them down all our local feeds.

Effective with this posting mnetor has started sending the same
selection of alt groups down all our local feeds.  If you want them,
you'll have to adjust your sys file to accept them, and preferably to
pass them on to whoever you feed as well.  If you really don't want
them, you'll have to let me know.
--
Ron Miller
UUCP:  {decvax|allegra|ihnp4|linus|utcsri}!utzoo!mnetor!ron

tim@dciem.UUCP (Tim Pointing) (08/13/87)

Effective yesterday, dciem was accepting and passing on all "alt." newsgroups
from/to utzoo, array and nrcaer. If any of our other more resticted feeds
would like to have them, drop me a line.
--
	Tim Pointing, DCIEM
	   {decvax|ihnp4|watmath}!utzoo!dciem!tim