[ont.uucp] file D.siteA1234 can't access

dave@lsuc.uucp (David Sherman) (12/01/87)

> From Umaccs Mon Nov 30 23:13:51 1987
> To: dave
>
> file /usr/spool/uucp/D.maccsB4397 on lsuc
> can't access

I've always had these messagess on occasion.  Recently I've started
getting lots of them -- sometimes two or three an hour, from lots
of different sites (mnetor, sickkids, maccs, utzoo, tmsoft -- you name it).

My understanding has always been that these messages can appear
because the D file of a [CD] pair gets sent, then the line fails,
and then the C file later refers to the D which is no longer here
to be sent, because it's already gone over.  As such, I've always
assumed I needn't worry about such messages.  Now I'm seeing so
many of them I'm starting to worry a bit.

grep FAIL LOGFILE | egrep -v "call to|LOGIN" does produce quite
a string of things like FAILED (CAN'T READ DATA), BAD READ
(expected 'S' got FAIL), and FAILED (conversation complete),
so maybe I'm just seeing the results of a flaky phone line or
modem.  Do other sites feel that the quality of the connection to
lsuc is bad?  Can you monitor it at all or trace the cause of all
these failures?  Do these error messages represent a possibly serious
problem?

We have no problem with file space in /usr/spool, incidentally.

David Sherman
--
{ uunet!mnetor  pyramid!utai  decvax!utcsri  ihnp4!utzoo } !lsuc!dave
Pronounce it ell-ess-you-see, please...

da@bvax.UUCP (12/02/87)

In article <1987Nov30.235047.7349@lsuc.uucp>, dave@lsuc.uucp (David Sherman) writes:
> (expected 'S' got FAIL), and FAILED (conversation complete),
> so maybe I'm just seeing the results of a flaky phone line or
> modem.

We have been doing a lot of work with uucp in the last few months and have
found that if the system receiving the file is loaded down and the file
received is large the uucp will fail at times with the 'S' expected got
fail or some such message.

The reason for this is when the file copy has been completed between machines,
the target machine must copy the temp file to the target directory. If the
system must copy from one sector to another or between drives and the system
is loaded uucp will timeout before this is completed. We found that a file
of 50K size always gets copied but files of 500K fail at times.

I don't know anything about the machine you are sending to, but I thought
I would pass this info along.

Dave Sellers