[ont.uucp] UUCP <-> BITNET Gateways

molnar@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Tom Molnar) (12/22/87)

I am curious.  It is easy enough to send mail from UUCP to BITNET
via some local gateway, but what sort of schemes have people come up
with to RECEIVE mail from BITNET to UUCP?

--
Tom Molnar
Unix Systems Group, University of Toronto Computing Services.

george@mnetor.UUCP (George Hart) (12/22/87)

A few weeks ago, I posted the following query:

>Okay, I know this probably was posted when I was asleep but
>can somebody tell me how to get to Bitnet?  More specifically,
>to the node "uoguelph".

Below is a digest of the responses I've received.  They have been
edited slightly for space and "to protect the innocent" :-).

Note that I have not verified *all* the paths listed below.  I *have*
used the watmath!water!site.bitnet path successfully for outgoing mail
and utgpu!ai.toronto.edu!uoguelph.bitnet for incoming mail.

Thank's to everyone who responded.

--------------
Try sending it to utgpu!bitnetsite!person
I use "utgpu!utorphys!<user>" to get to <user>@utorphys.bitnet
--------------
Try something like...  watmath!water!uoguelph.bitnet!user
--------------
i believe various local machines have bitnet access,
i use my neighbour, yetti	ie.	yetti!user@bitnet-node

the gotcha?	 8 characters each only please.	^^       ^^
--------------
Send it to utgpu!uoguelph.bitnet!user
--------------
Path to .bitnet:  ...!harvard!gymble!super!site.bitnet!user
Path to .bitnet:  ...!rutgers!psuvax1!site.bitnet!user
You should be able to get to users at uoguelph by sending to
"user%uoguelph.bitnet@uunet".
--------------
--

Regards,

George Hart, Computer X Canada Ltd.
          NOW				REAL SOON NOW
UUCP: utzoo                           UUCP: utzoo
	    >!mnetor!george                       > cxhi!george
      uunet                                 uunet
BELL: (416)475-8980

dave@lsuc.uucp (David Sherman) (12/30/87)

molnar@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Tom Molnar) writes:

>I am curious.  It is easy enough to send mail from UUCP to BITNET
>via some local gateway, but what sort of schemes have people come up
>with to RECEIVE mail from BITNET to UUCP?

All the Bitnet people I talk to are on NetNorth (Bitnet in Canada).
They all seem to be able to get to be as dave@lsuc.uucp. I've also
suggested such things as lsuc!dave@utai.uucp and lsuc!dave@ai.toronto.edu,
and they've worked. Maybe I'm just lucky in that these sites have
had their mailers set up properly to understand domains and to get
stuff for the UUCP domain sent through ubc-vision, utai or deepthot
(UWO.BITNET) for sensible processing.

David Sherman
--
{ uunet!mnetor  pyramid!utai  decvax!utcsri  ihnp4!utzoo } !lsuc!dave
Pronounce it ell-ess-you-see, please...

tomwest@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Tom West) (01/04/88)

molnar@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Tom Molnar) writes:
>I am curious.  It is easy enough to send mail from UUCP to BITNET
>via some local gateway, but what sort of schemes have people come up
>with to RECEIVE mail from BITNET to UUCP?

  Well, it may only apply to U of T, but atmospheric physics gets BITNET mail
by using the address atmosp.utoronto which sends the bitnet mail to UTORONTO
which is smart enough to forward it to us.  I am not sure whether this
capability exists off the U of T ethernet.

				Tom West
--
				Tom West

BITNET:         tomwest@utorgpu.bitnet, tomwest@gpu.utcs.utoronto
Internet:       tomwest@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
UUCP:           tomwest@utgpu

		utzoo, yetti, harpo, mnetor \
		cbosgd, deepthot, utoronto  -  !utgpu!tomwest
		ihnp4, lsuc, sfmin, vnr-vpa /

molnar@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Tom Molnar) (01/05/88)

#
#   Well, it may only apply to U of T, but atmospheric physics gets BITNET mail
# by using the address atmosp.utoronto which sends the bitnet mail to UTORONTO
# which is smart enough to forward it to us.  I am not sure whether this
# capability exists off the U of T ethernet.

Just to set the record straight, it is utgpu that does all the work
gatewaying mail between the UofT campus network and BITNET.  utgpu is
known as utorgpu on NetNorth/BITNET.  UTORONTO is an IBM VM/CMS machine
that acts as the RSCS gateway for UofT.  As far as mail is concerned,
UTORONTO is mostly a relay machine at this point.  It does not have an
intelligent mailer.  It simply punts mail it receives with the .utoronto
tag to utgpu for resolution.  utgpu will in turn strip off the .utoronto
tag and will then resolve the remaining address.

A byproduct of this is that utgpu/utorgpu can act as a mail
gateway/router for BITNET sites that are capable of handling an address
with one or more periods in it and is longer than 8 characters...