[ont.uucp] Help with Datagram DCE-224 modem

bruce@trigraph.UUCP (Bruce Freeman) (01/14/88)

We bought several Datagram 224 modems for people to use at home and I managed
to grab one for uucp. What I would like is to use it for both dialin and
dialout (we have Chris Torek's kernel mods for this) but I can't seem to get
it to do either. I tried using the Hayes 2400 dialer since the Datagram is
allegedly hayes compatible but it seems to drop DTR when the AT&F command is
sent down. When receiving calls it seems to get into a battle with getty. Has
anyone else tried using one of these modems? Got any helpful hints 'n tricks?
We run 4.3BSD here if that is germane.

Thanks
--
Bruce Freeman	Trigraph Inc., Toronto, Canada		utzoo!trigraph!bruce

clewis@spectrix.UUCP (Chris R. Lewis) (01/16/88)

In article <345@trigraph.UUCP> bruce@trigraph.UUCP (Bruce Freeman) writes:
>We bought several Datagram 224 modems for people to use at home and I managed
>to grab one for uucp. What I would like is to use it for both dialin and
>dialout (we have Chris Torek's kernel mods for this) but I can't seem to get
>it to do either. I tried using the Hayes 2400 dialer since the Datagram is
>allegedly hayes compatible but it seems to drop DTR when the AT&F command is
>sent down. When receiving calls it seems to get into a battle with getty. Has
>anyone else tried using one of these modems? Got any helpful hints 'n tricks?
>We run 4.3BSD here if that is germane.

You're in luck!  (you're running 4.3)

First of all, you want to set up the modem to shut up so that the modem's
command mode doesn't fight with getty.  Eg: turn echo and result codes off.
Standard Hayes 1200 Smartmodems have a physical switch to shut the modem
up as a default power-up situation.  Some modems have this as a non-volatile
parameter (eg: Smartteam).

This should avoid the necessity of &F.

Secondly, using the chat script feature of 4.3 UUCP, do this:

ACU	tty44	inout	1200	hayes "" ATZ\r\c "" \dATQ0V1E0M1\r\c OK \d\c

Eg: tty44 is an inout modem, hayes dialer, then do the following
after open but before dialing:
	- wait for nothing
	- reset the modem with CR and no NL (on the standard hayes this
	  does not seem to toggle DTR)
	- wait for nothing
	- delay 2 seconds, then:
	    set "send responses" on, "word responses" on, "echo" off,
	    speaker to "during dial only" (optional)
	    terminate with CR and no NL.
	- wait for OK
	- delay 2 seconds (can't remember why we put this in)

This works most of the time.  The biggest problem is that when cu'ing,
you have to send a ATQ0V1E1 before you get to see what you're typing.

Some other Hayes-compatible modems shouldn't need even this - the Smartteam
seems to ignore character sequences that don't look like commands, so
getty and the smartteam don't start fighting.
--
Chris Lewis, Spectrix Microsystems Inc,
UUCP: {uunet!mnetor, utcsri!utzoo, lsuc}!spectrix!clewis