[ont.uucp] utzoo upheavals

Utzoo is about to undergo the process of turning from an 11/44 into a
Sun 3/180.  Expect irregularities in news and mail flow for the next
few days.
--
Anyone who buys Wisconsin cheese is|  Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
a traitor to mankind.  --Pournelle |uunet!mnetor!utzoo! henry @zoo.toronto.edu

oz@yunexus.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) (07/12/88)

In article <1988Jul11.035841.266@utzoo.uucp> Henry Spencer writes:
>Utzoo is about to undergo the process of turning from an 11/44 into a
>Sun 3/180.  Expect irregularities in news and mail flow for the next
>few days.

Good luck, Henry. Given what you pulled out of an 11/44 in the last
5-or-so years, I can't wait to see what will happen with a 3/180.
[Ah, but I know... there has never been anything like a PDP-11.]

oz

--
Crud that is not paged	        | Usenet: ...!utzoo!yunexus!oz
is still crud. 			| ....!uunet!mnetor!yunexus!oz

rob@array.UUCP (Rob Marchand) (07/13/88)

In article <1988Jul11.035841.266@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>Utzoo is about to undergo the process of turning from an 11/44 into a
>Sun 3/180.                                               ^^^^^
 ^^^^^^^^^
Henry's ability is legend, but *this* I've got to see!  ;-)

rob m.
--
Rob Marchand                   UUCP  : {mnetor,utzoo}!lsuc!array!rob
Array Systems Computing        ARPA  : rob%array.UUCP@uunet.UU.NET

dave@lsuc.uucp (David Sherman) (07/13/88)

In article <799@yunexus.UUCP> oz@yunexus.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) writes:
>Good luck, Henry. Given what you pulled out of an 11/44 in the last
>5-or-so years, I can't wait to see what will happen with a 3/180.
>[Ah, but I know... there has never been anything like a PDP-11.]

Actually, it's not the PDP-11 that Henry will miss.  It's
v7 UNIX, which we oldtimers still cling to.  (Actually, I
clung to v6 for even longer.)  Nothing like an operating system
that one can *understand*.

David ("lsuc still runs v7") Sherman
--
{ uunet!mnetor  pyramid!utai  decvax!utcsri  utzoo } !lsuc!dave

david@geac.UUCP (David Haynes) (07/14/88)

David Sherman writes:
>Oxan Yigit writes:
>>Good luck, Henry. Given what you pulled out of an 11/44 in the last
>>5-or-so years, I can't wait to see what will happen with a 3/180.
>>[Ah, but I know... there has never been anything like a PDP-11.]
>
>Actually, it's not the PDP-11 that Henry will miss.  It's
>v7 UNIX, which we oldtimers still cling to.  (Actually, I
>clung to v6 for even longer.)  Nothing like an operating system
>that one can *understand*.

Ozan, get a load of these old timers! Sounds like the arguments I get.

``Berkeley? Why would you ever want to go with Berkeley when AT&T has
  published this *nice* SVID?''

Can't you just hear Henry now?

``Now *why* would they do that when it used to be done this way, which
  made so much more *sense*?''

Ah! To be a fly on that wall!

-david-

SVID a unix definition even managers pretend to understand.

Oh yes... definitely ;-)

oz@yunexus.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) (07/15/88)

In article <3007@geac.UUCP> david@geac.UUCP (David Haynes) writes:
>Can't you just hear Henry now?
>
>``Now *why* would they do that when it used to be done this way, which
>  made so much more *sense*?''

Hehehhehhe... wait until he gets a load of SOS 4.0 !! [background
sounds: a blood-curdling yowl, donning of fire-resistant suit, engaging
of a flame thrower, sounds of a burning machine room, along with a
Sun3/whatever.]

He may even *like* BSD after seeing what SUN has done to our favorite
OS. :-)

>SVID a unix definition even managers pretend to understand.

I heard someone say: "SOS 4.0 is VMS of all UN*Xes. Except, they
got the sharable libraries wrong !"

oz