[ont.uucp] mnetor down indefinitely; mail to/from Toronto in question

dave@csri.toronto.edu (Dave Sherman) (07/26/88)

I've just been informed by mnetor!lazer that mnetor was fried
in the same lightning storm that got lsuc.  While we've called
service for lsuc, and I hope it will be up soon, Lazer tells me
that mnetor is not under service contract and there is no-one around
to authorize a service call for at least a week.  (There is a
possibility that some other machine will become mnetor, when the
people who make the decisions return.)

This has major implications for the Toronto area, not so much for
news, as mnetor has become a leaf-ish node recently, but for mail.
mnetor!uunet has been a highly reliable connection, and it carries
a lot of mail traffic.  People will have to find alternatives for
the time being at least.  I will ask Rick if he can reroute mail
at uunet which is pending for mnetor!toronto-sites.

David Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
lsuc!dave (when it's up); utcsri!dave (when it's not)
416-947-3466

dave@lsuc.uucp (David Sherman) (07/27/88)

Rick has arranged for uunet to reroute mail for mnetor through
utai, and I've arranged for lsuc to do the same, so part of
the problem is solved for now.  If you generate paths through
mnetor that involve sites other than uunet and lsuc, you should
probably rerun pathalias with -d mnetor until the dust settles.

David Sherman
--
{ uunet!mnetor  att!utgpu  pyramid!utai  utzoo } !lsuc!dave

dave@lsuc.uucp (David Sherman) (07/29/88)

The "mnetor" site has been repaired and is running again,
but it's also been sold and will be shut down next Thursday,
August 4.  I'm told that no final decision has been made
as to whether cxhi will be renamed mnetor or will simply replace
mneotr as a connection to uunet.  The status of mnetor's other
long-distance and local connections is still uncertain.
ron@mnetor will be back on Tuesday and will be able to let us know.

In the meantime, lsuc!mnetor and mnetor!uunet work, but since
this may only be for a few days I'm leaving the rerouting in place
on lsuc. (I will be on vacation for 2 weeks, starting now.)

David Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
Toronto
--
{ uunet!mnetor  att!utgpu  pyramid!utai  utzoo } !lsuc!dave

tim@dretor.DRETOR.UUCP (Tim Pointing) (08/02/88)

In article <1988Jul29.154515.5525@lsuc.uucp> dave@lsuc (David Sherman) writes:
>In the meantime, lsuc!mnetor and mnetor!uunet work, but since
>this may only be for a few days I'm leaving the rerouting in place
>on lsuc.

Re-routing around mnetor has been in effect since I found out about the
problem on Jul 28. Mail which explicitly routes mail through "dciem!mnetor"
will not have their mail rerouted (until such time as I find out what is
will happen to mnetor.) Mail which makes use of smail's routing capability
will find their mail not going through mnetor (utcsri!utai!uunet is now
our best route to uunet)
--
	Tim Pointing, DCIEM
	   {decvax|ihnp4|watmath}!utzoo!dciem!dretor!tim

ron@mnetor.UUCP (Ron Miller) (08/06/88)

In article <1988Jul29.154515.5525@lsuc.uucp>, dave@lsuc.uucp (David Sherman) writes:
> The "mnetor" site has been repaired and is running again,
> but it's also been sold and will be shut down next Thursday,
> August 4.  I'm told that no final decision has been made
> as to whether cxhi will be renamed mnetor or will simply replace
> mnetor as a connection to uunet.

The Pyramid 90X which you have come to know as mnetor will actually be
shut down for good and dismantled Monday, August 8.  If all goes well, the
box currently known as cxhi will become the new mnetor.  With luck, the
3.5 megs of news/mail still in our queues will not be lost, and mnetor
will act much as before, only slower (and perhaps dumber :-).

One way or another, I'll report more details on Monday.
--
Ron Miller
UUCP:  {decvax|allegra|ihnp4|linus|utcsri}!utzoo!mnetor!ron