[ont.uucp] duplicate site names

cks@ziebmef.UUCP (Chris Siebenmann) (05/01/88)

In article <1159@maccs.UUCP> gordan@maccs.UUCP () writes:
>Well, just last night I sent some mail to site eris in California.  I
>haven't gotten any short message about sitename duplication, to be sure,
>but nevertheless my paranoia-ometer has just shot into the red zone.

 I believe that site eris in California is really eris.Berkeley.EDU,
and mail sent that way will reach them. News software conversions seem
to have resulted in them stripping all domain information from news
articles originating there. This is unusual, but I've seen quite a
number of postings from sites claiming to be in .UUCP when they really
aren't.

 On a slightly different topic, what's the proper way of letting the
uucp mapping folks know about a new Toronto site (this one):

a) mailing a map entry to uucpmap@<wherever at the UofT - can someone
tell me the right address for this>?

b) mailing said map entry to the US map registry address?

c) posting said map entry to news.newsites?

d) a+c? or maybe b+c?

	"Oh BLESS you, sir! The ANGEL OF DEATH was after me just as SURE as
	 you're standing there, yes he WAS!"
Chris Siebenmann		{uunet!mentor!lsuc,utgpu}!ncrcan!ziebmef!cks
cks@ziebmef.UUCP	     or	...!utgpu!{radio,ontmoh,ncrcan!brambo}!cks

molnar@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Tom Molnar) (05/06/88)

#
# a) mailing a map entry to uucpmap@<wherever at the UofT - can someone
# tell me the right address for this>?
#
# b) mailing said map entry to the US map registry address?
#
# c) posting said map entry to news.newsites?
#
# d) a+c? or maybe b+c?

Send your completed uucp map entry to path@ai.utoronto.ca (utai!path).

There is no point sending the entry to the US registry.  They will merely
punt it back to path@ai.

Feel free to post to news.newsites, but many sites (mine included) will
not worry about such postings.  We wait for the map update.
--
Tom Molnar
Unix Systems Group, University of Toronto Computing Services.

rayan@ai.toronto.edu (Rayan Zachariassen) (05/27/88)

In article <360@ziebmef.UUCP> cks@ziebmef.UUCP (Chris Siebenmann) writes:
#  On a slightly different topic, what's the proper way of letting the
# uucp mapping folks know about a new Toronto site (this one):
#
# a) mailing a map entry to uucpmap@<wherever at the UofT - can someone
# tell me the right address for this>?

path@utai.uucp

# b) mailing said map entry to the US map registry address?

rutgers!uucpmap

# c) posting said map entry to news.newsites?
#
# d) a+c? or maybe b+c?

a is enough. You only do b if you're paranoid and want to rush your name
registration and you want the time of registration kept forever...
c will just clutter up the net, don't bother.  It would eventually find
its way to path@utai anyway, and I'd end up getting N copies of the
announcement.

soley@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (09/23/88)

Yet another duplicate site name kiddies. In the most recent u.can.on.1
there appeared a site called leibniz ay Bell-Northern Research.
However it seems that leibniz is already a "ghost site" in AT&T and
appears in the map for the att psuedo-machine.

I normally would have just brought this up with the site itself and
our local map co-ordinator but it raises another question. All of the
AT&T machines are supposed to be part of the .att.com domain but they
still list all of their leaf nodes by their "undomained" name. Is this
really necessary? The only reason I can see for not cutting the att
map entry back to only the necessary information to have it function
as a gateway (i.e. listing only those sites that maintain outside
connections) is that in an organization the size of AT&T it might be
very difficult to assure that all of the 1000 or so leaf nodes are
spitting out fully qualified domain names on their news and mail.

Any comments?

--
Norman Soley - Data Communications Analyst - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
UUCP:	uunet!attcan!lsuc!ncrcan!ontenv!soley	VOICE:	+1 416 323 2623