[ont.uucp] dciem

Folks with mail going to/from dciem should be aware that they are having
serious hardware problems.  They are currently down and may not be up for
several days.
--
Support sustained spaceflight: fight |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
the soi-disant "Planetary Society"!  | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry

dave@lsuc.UUCP (07/22/87)

Henry writes:
> Folks with mail going to/from dciem should be aware that they are having
> serious hardware problems.  They are currently down and may not be up for
> several days.

Note that if you know whom you want to reach, you can send mail
through lsuc!per. dciem is their 11/70, and per is a Perkin-Elmer
3242. We call per regularly. If you need to mail someone, check
with them if they use the "per" machine.

David Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
--
{ uunet!mnetor  pyramid!utai  decvax!utcsri  ihnp4!utzoo } !lsuc!dave

tim@dciem.UUCP (Tim Pointing) (07/28/87)

The DCIEM host "dciem" is once again back up and running just fine. We
were down most of last week due to a disk crash. Last Friday, we went down
for the morning due to a bad memory board. Hopefully, these will be the last
of the system problems for a while.
No mail or news should have been lost because of these problems.

People sending mail to people on our "per" computer should note that,
while most DCIEM people that have accounts on our other computers also have
accounts on "per", they rarely login to "per". On occasions when "dciem" is
down, most people here will often switch over to using the host "zorac" and,
thus, can be reached using a path such as "..!lsuc!per!zorac!username".
--
	Tim Pointing, DCIEM
	   {decvax|ihnp4|watmath}!utzoo!dciem!tim

In case anyone who cares isn't aware of it, "dciem" seems to be in the
throes of another of its occasional bouts of illness.  Expect mail going
to/from/through dciem to be delayed.
--
Sendmail is a bug,             |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
not a feature.                 | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

tim@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (Tim Pointing) (11/21/88)

In a recent article henry@utzoo (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In case anyone who cares isn't aware of it, "dciem" seems to be in the
>throes of another of its occasional bouts of illness.  Expect mail going
>to/from/through dciem to be delayed.

We seem to be up "for good" now. We did have a couple of weeks where the
system went down early in the week and our hardware folks didn't get around
to doing anything about it until near the end of the week (since the "dciem"
system will be going out of service as soon as we can get equivalent
functionality on our "new" computer, hardware folks don't put a high
priority on fixing it - nobody uses it except for other UUCP accounts for
news and mail transfer.) The problem seemed to be a couple of bad memory
boards (which gave us parity errors until we disabled the use of the boards.)
It was more than just a stuck bit, though. The boards sucked enough juice to
eventually trip the breaker on the memory power supply. These boards have now
been removed from the system so we *should* be OK now.

>Sendmail is a bug,             |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
>not a feature.                 | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

Hear! Hear!
--
	Tim Pointing, DCIEM
	{decvax|ihnp4|watmath}!utzoo!dciem!ben!tim

Further to my previous note, the folks at dciem tell me that after being
briefly cured, to the point of posting a "we're okay now" message, it's
sick again.  Expect continued delays in traffic through dciem.
--

tim@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (Tim Pointing) (11/25/88)

In article <1988Nov23.172155.18523@utzoo.uucp> Henry Spencer writes:
>Further to my previous note, the folks at dciem tell me that after being
>briefly cured, to the point of posting a "we're okay now" message, it's
>sick again.  Expect continued delays in traffic through dciem.

Depending on what order things arrive at your site, you might believe
that dciem either is up again or is down still/again. The current status
(since Thursday morning) is "dciem is up" and has been for over 24 hours :-!
Actually, we think that we have bypassed the problem (AC power distribution
box) by using another unit already in service which had spare capacity.
Modulo "panic parity" problems, dciem should be healthy now. Sorry for any
problems our outage has caused.
--
	Tim Pointing, DCIEM
	{decvax|ihnp4|watmath}!utzoo!dciem!ben!tim
        uunet!mnetor!dciem!ben!tim or nrcaer!dciem!ben!tim
	tim%ben@zorac.dciem.dnd.ca or tim@ben.dciem.dnd.ca (or tim@zorac.arpa)

tim@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (Tim Pointing) (11/25/88)

After "dciem" resurfaced the first time (on or about Nov 21?), we experienced
a disk space problem which, to the best of my knowledge, did not affect any
mail but the news batches (few that there were) did get dropped. Sorry about
this. I'm still not sure exactly how this happened since the new batching
and unbatching scripts check free space before each batch. I suppose it
could have been some massive mailing but I see no evidence for that.

tim