[ont.uucp] yunexus down until approximately Jan. 3

dave@lsuc.uucp (David Sherman) (12/29/88)

sq!msb asked me if I had any idea why sq was getting no news
from geac.  Checking tor.news.stats, I found utzoo with a large
backlog of unset news to yunexus (which is upstream from geac).
Checking my mail/uucp file, I find that Ozan told us all to
call 736-5257x2688 Eriks Rugelis if anything happened while
Ozan was in Istanbul till January 11.  I did, and Eriks'
"phone mailbox" answered with a long tale of woe about how
York is closed, yunexus is shut down until they can figure
out where the smoke is coming from (!), and no uucp or
news will before until January 2 or 3 at the earliest.
The same tale is available to anyone who calls the above
number :-)

According to Geoff's Usenet map, this will affect a whole lot
of sites.

David Sherman
--
Moderator, mail.yiddish
{ uunet!attcan  att  pyramid!utai  utzoo } !lsuc!dave

msb@sq.uucp (Mark Brader) (12/29/88)

David Sherman (dave@lsuc.uucp) writes:
> I did, and Eriks'
> "phone mailbox" answered with a long tale of woe about how
> York is closed, yunexus is shut down until they can figure
> out where the smoke is coming from (!), and no uucp or
> news will before until January 2 or 3 at the earliest.

No uucp or news will what -- answer the phone, be closed, be shut
down, or figure out where the smoke is coming from?  :-)

Thanks for the investigation, dave, and thanks also for making lsuc!sq
a temporary news link so as to feed some of the backlogged sites.

I should point out to those who are now about to receive a large
glob of rec/soc/misc/talk news through us that they will probably
get the same news again after yunexus comes up; this is due to our
short expiration time and because we still run a version of C news
that flushes history when the article expires locally.

Mark Brader, SoftQuad Inc., Toronto, utzoo!sq!msb, msb@sq.com
		"UNIX are quality sectional bookcases, made of solid oak.
		 Open or glass-fronted, in three sizes and three finishes,
		 UNIX gives unapproached flexibility."
				    --	Daily Mail Ideal Home Book, 1951-52

geoff@utstat.uucp (Geoff Collyer) (12/30/88)

yunexus appears to be back up.  It began calling utzoo again at 17:28 on
Dec 28th, and after one 16-hour phone call and one 5-hour phone call,
the backlog of news on utzoo queued for yunexus is a mere 640 articles,
down from a peak of about 4,000.
--
Geoff Collyer	utzoo!utstat!geoff, geoff@utstat.toronto.edu
gets(3) must go; this is not negotiable.

mike@ists.ists.ca (Mike Clarkson) (01/02/89)

nexus is back up, and has almost cleared out its backlog.

Eriks (eriks@libra.yorku.ca yunuexus!eriks) and I (mike@ists.ists.ca ists!mike)
are keeping an eye on the smoking hardware :-) until he gets back.

Mike.

--
Mike Clarkson					mike@ists.UUCP
Institute for Space and Terrestrial Science	mike@ists.ists.ca