[ont.uucp] lsuc treatment of pass-through mail

dave@lsuc.uucp (David Sherman) (01/13/89)

(No, don't worry, I'm not going to say we won't forward
 non-LSUC mail to non-LSUC sites:-)

I mailed this to a new uucp connection's admin the other day,
but it's actually of more general interest:

				Feel free to use us to send mail to
	anywhere and beyond, but don't use us as a smart host
	intentionally.  If you don't run pathalias I can send you
	the pathalias output file, to which you'd just prepend
	"lsuc!" on every line.  Mail through us should use straight
	uucp host names for the next hop.

	Our rmail is a shell file that invokes the stock dumb v7
	mailer to forward on to the next site.  Iff the v7 mailer
	fails, it punts to smail -R to fix the problem.  When it does
	so, rmail then drops a copy into my $MAIL in case smail wasn't
	able to fix it or "fixed" it wrong.  So if you attempt to
	use lsuc as a smart host, I will have the inestimable pleasure
	of reading all your mail :-(.

David Sherman
everywhere_in_Toronto!lsuc!dave :-)
--
Moderator, mail.yiddish
{ uunet!attcan  att  pyramid!utai  utzoo } !lsuc!dave

geoff@utstat.uucp (Geoff Collyer) (01/14/89)

and that goes double for utzoo!  While Henry was away (he's back now), I
got to read lots of mail in the process of returning or forwarding it
because it had bounced (it's the fault of these new-fangled video
editors; they insist on showing me a whole screen of text :-).  utzoo
does not automatically route mail, nor does it understand very many
machine names with dots in them.  Addresses like "utzoo!one.cdf!user"
are right out.  If you want to mail into U of T and don't know much
about routing, using utgpu or utai as your smart host; utzoo talks to
both.  For example, "utzoo!utgpu!one.cdf!user".
--
Geoff Collyer	utzoo!utstat!geoff, geoff@utstat.toronto.edu
gets(3) must go; this is not negotiable.

In article <1989Jan14.013211.18992@utstat.uucp> geoff@utstat.uucp (Geoff Collyer) writes:
>and that goes double for utzoo! ...   utzoo
>does not automatically route mail, nor does it understand very many
>machine names with dots in them...

To elaborate on Geoff's comments, I should say that utzoo is going to get
smarter about dotted addresses fairly soon, but will continue to refuse to
do automatic routing for mail passing through.  This was a policy decision
made long ago:  we have a lot of uucp connections and do a lot of mail
relaying already, and do *not* want to also become the "router of last
resort" for other sites.  Any mail sent to us for relaying had better be
explicitly addressed to one of our immediate neighbors (although once we
are on the U of T fiber network, which is imminent, that will include a
large number of machines).
--
"God willing, we will return." |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
-Eugene Cernan, the Moon, 1972 | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu