[ont.uucp] yunexus connections frozen.

oz@yunexus.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) (01/19/89)

In case you are interested:

As of today, all uucp and news connections of nexus are frozen, in
other words, no more new feeds or connections, except for swap
situations (a connection that disappears is replaced by another)
and minor adjustments. This applies to all, including internal
connections.

This freeze is due to various previously unexpected/unsuspected
demands from the machine.  We do not wish to run out of steam before
we get to the river. When we are on the safe grounds, I will open
nexus up for feeds and connections again.

A more up-to-date map entry will be posted soon, which is not likely
to change for a while.

oz
--
... and I say to them, 	    		Usenet:    oz@nexus.yorku.ca
   `Where the hell were you        	......!uunet!utai!yunexus!oz

drew@geaclib.UUCP (Drew Sullivan) (01/21/89)

Lethe is still open to bidirectional mail connections.  That is
if you can dial out and be dialed, I am willing to add your site
to mine.
--
-- Drew Sullivan <drew@lethe.uucp>   +1 416 225-1592  Toronto, Ontario, Canada

cks@ziebmef.uucp (Chris Siebenmann) (01/24/89)

 The Ziebmef is also willing to serve as the connection of last resort
for people (our congested lines make us undesirable as anything except
a last resort right now).

 Perhaps someone should put together a "How to get a Mail/News feed in
Toronto" document?

--
	"Hey, thats's why Dad moved to Colorado. He sits Zen now.
		Me, I like the mountains."

root@becker.UUCP (Root Boy) (01/25/89)

Site "becker" is available for uucp connection to small sites,
and for large sites with Telebit modems. This site is well-connected,
and can provide smail 'paths' files for email routing as well.

--
Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.	Vox: +1 416 699 1868
Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

chk@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (C. Harald Koch) (01/25/89)

In article <1989Jan24.020510.10525@ziebmef.uucp> cks@ziebmef.UUCP (Chris Siebenmann) writes:
> Perhaps someone should put together a "How to get a Mail/News feed in
>Toronto" document?

Sounds to me like there are two alternatives:

1) Rob a bank, and buy a connection.

2) Blackmail a system administrator. (hi tim!)

Whatever happened to Henry Spencer's Great NetNews Re-organization? I have a
feeling that his connectivity data is already out of date...

--
C. Harald Koch		NTT Systems, Inc., Toronto, Ontario
chk@zorac.dciem.dnd.ca, chk@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu, chk@chkent.UUCP

mason@tmsoft.uucp (Dave Mason) (01/26/89)

>Whatever happened to Henry Spencer's Great NetNews Re-organization? I have a
>feeling that his connectivity data is already out of date...

Henry is just back from a hard month on the Australian beach and just
off to a hard couple weeks attending conferences, so don't hassle him
so much, OK? :-)

Seriously, the GNNR is getting pretty close to worked out, and Henry
will have more to say when he gets back (I believe ~Feb 6).

	../Dave

(and if you're wondering: CNews release is scheduled for late February
too, and Geoff, at least, seems to mean it this time!)

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (01/26/89)

In article <236@becker.UUCP> root@becker.UUCP (Root Boy) writes:
>Site "becker" is available for uucp connection to small sites,
>and for large sites with Telebit modems. This site is well-connected,
>and can provide smail 'paths' files for email routing as well.

I wasn't explicit enough about News, & noticed only now that
'news' was in the Keywords: field of the header which was inherited
from the original article.

Site "becker" is not in a position to give full News feeds. It
might be possible to arrange a feed for a very few newsgroups
only - this depends on the quantity & on the modem speed of the
requestor.

Sorry for any confusion which may have occurred -
--
   _  _/\	Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
   \`o O|	Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

tim@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (Tim Pointing) (01/26/89)

In article <1400@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca> chk@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (C. Harald Koch) writes:
>In article <1989Jan24.020510.10525@ziebmef.uucp> cks@ziebmef.UUCP (Chris Siebenmann) writes:
>> Perhaps someone should put together a "How to get a Mail/News feed in
>>Toronto" document?
>
>Sounds to me like there are two alternatives:

Well, if there were more than two, they wouldn't be "alternatives", would they?

>2) Blackmail a system administrator. (hi tim!)

Actually, getting a simple mail feed should not be very difficult since
most mail feeds are really insignificant when compared to typical news
feeds (except when the site makes heavy use of mail and lists you as
the best connection to the outside world (hi chk!)). Personally, I would
like to see lots and lots of mail connections so that mail can move
as quickly as possible.

>Whatever happened to Henry Spencer's Great NetNews Re-organization? I have a
>feeling that his connectivity data is already out of date...

The NetNews connectivity Henry has should not be very much out-of-date since
news feeds change much more slowly than do mail feeds. Maybe when Henry
gets back from Usenix, he will be able to find time between C News, catering
to the whimpers of news feeds (sorry, Henry!), Marco Polo,... to work
on the re-organization.
--
	Tim Pointing, DCIEM
	{decvax|ihnp4|watmath}!utzoo!dciem!ben!tim

eric@geac.UUCP (Eric Dirks) (01/28/89)

In article <1402@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca> tim@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (Tim Pointing) writes:
>In article <1400@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca> chk@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (C. Harald Koch) writes:

>>Whatever happened to Henry Spencer's Great NetNews Re-organization? I have a
>>feeling that his connectivity data is already out of date...
>
>The NetNews connectivity Henry has should not be very much out-of-date since
>news feeds change much more slowly than do mail feeds. Maybe when Henry

    Yes normally news feeds change rather slowly, however lately this has not
been true at geac. There have been several (somewhat major) changes here, due
to deleted sites and to recent problems at yunexus. In short our major inbound
feed has shifted to a new node, one outbound feed has been deleted, at least one
outbound feed has been added, with more additions planned . Now this may be an
unusual case but it does make a few changes in our corner of the map. (Yes
that is geac sort of isolated in the lower right hand corner of the map.)

--
Eric Dirks 		Geac Computer Corporation, Markham, Ontario
eric@geac