[ont.uucp] lsuc!attcan link ill

dave@lsuc.uucp (David Sherman) (03/14/89)

Mail going through lsuc to attcan and beyond has been sitting
for about 4 days without going through.  attcan was sending us
stuff OK until a day or two ago, and has had problems since except
for small trickles.  The problem appears to be at the attcan
end; Bob and Colin are working on it.  (When we call, we start a
file transfer and time out with alarms, waiting for attcan to
acknowledge packets.  When they call, thyy successfully send a
file, then think is hasn't been received properly, quit, and
call again later to resend the same file.)

No mail should be lost.

David Sherman
--
Moderator, mail.yiddish
{ uunet!attcan  att  utzoo }!lsuc!dave          dave%lsuc@ai.toronto.edu

dave@lsuc.uucp (David Sherman) (03/17/89)

In article <1989Mar13.235922.331@lsuc.uucp>, dave@lsuc.uucp (David Sherman) writes:
> Mail going through lsuc to attcan and beyond has been sitting
> for about 4 days without going through.  attcan was sending us
> stuff OK until a day or two ago, and has had problems since except
> for small trickles.  The problem appears to be at the attcan
> end; Bob and Colin are working on it.  (When we call, we start a
> file transfer and time out with alarms, waiting for attcan to
> acknowledge packets.  When they call, they successfully send a
> file, then think is hasn't been received properly, quit, and
> call again later to resend the same file.)

The folks at attcan fixed the problem fairly quickly, but in
the meantime a huge backlog had built up.  As our UUCP runs at
only 1200 baud, it's taken days to clear.  I was waiting for
attcan to stop sending us stuff; finally this morning I disabled
Uattcan's login and started sending, and it seems to be going through.
So all mail that has been sitting on the lsuc->attcan link for a week
will have gone through by the time you read this.

I fear that with the most recent explosion of netnews, unless we
get our kernel problem solved so we can handle input at faster
than 1200, we may be forced to drop many newsgroups and become a
leaf node. ~5Mb a day of traffic from attcan, on a "normal" news day,
requires 15 hours of phone call to put through, and as soon as
there's some downtime the backlog becomes huge.  We're happy to
be a clearinghouse for mail, but the full news feeds may have to go.

David Sherman