[ont.uucp] Mail to Bitnet

kevin@jtsv16.UUCP (kevin brighton) (06/05/89)

I suppose this question has been asked before, but if so, I didn't catch it.

I want to send mail to someone on bitnet, specifically psuecl.bitnet.
Smail tells me it doesn't know how to get there from here.  I presume
there is a gateway somewhere which can forward mail to bitnet sites.
Anybody know which one and how to address it?  We only have uucp
connections.

Kevin.
--
Kevin Brighton                          kevin@jtsv16.jts.com
JTS Computer Systems Ltd.       { suncan | geac | uunet }!jtsv16!kevin

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (06/06/89)

In article <528@jtsv16.UUCP> kevin@jtsv16.UUCP (kevin brighton) writes:
|I suppose this question has been asked before, but if so, I didn't catch it.
|
|I want to send mail to someone on bitnet, specifically psuecl.bitnet.
|Smail tells me it doesn't know how to get there from here.  I presume
|there is a gateway somewhere which can forward mail to bitnet sites.
|Anybody know which one and how to address it?  We only have uucp
|connections.

	In your smail "paths" file, you need a line which
	refers to ".bitnet", so in your pathalias local
	file make a line which says:

		.bitnet	utgpu(LOCAL)

	assuming you are posting from a Toronto site,
	and that you have a set of valid map entries for
	routing to "utgpu". Although "utgpu" isn't the
	only such gateway, it is one of the most locally
	available. You must be respectful of this resource
	so as not to overtax its capacity.

	The machine which is know as "utgpu" to the
	uucp world is known as "UTORGPU" in BitNet-land.
	You can send to "<person>@<host>.bitnet" and
	the mail ought to go thru as long as <person> &
	<host> exist, etc.

	Going the other way, you must explicitly route out
	from utgpu: "<route>!<...>!<site>!<person> AT UTORGPU".
	Note that the VM/CMS user *must* have the "mixed-case"
	option set on in his mailer so that it won't
	convert everything to caps in the header & get the
	mail misrouted. One way to do this easily is to use
	a "MAIL NAMES" file which associates a nickname
	with all the boring details - you then just mail
	to "<nickname>" and worry less 8^)...

Cheers,
--
   __	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \cc/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

kevin@jtsv16.UUCP (kevin) (06/07/89)

Thanks to those who replied to my message about mail to bitnet.
The real problem was that we were not sending the d.Top file
through the scripts we use to create the paths file for
smail (red face).

A couple of people suggested routing through utgpu, but smail
says rutgers is the path to take.  Since rutgers is the "official"
gateway, I'll use that instead of burning up cycles on utgpu.

Kevin.

--

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (06/09/89)

In article <532@jtsv16.UUCP> kevin@jtsv16.UUCP (kevin) writes:
>A couple of people suggested routing through utgpu, but smail
>says rutgers is the path to take.  Since rutgers is the "official"
>gateway, I'll use that instead of burning up cycles on utgpu.

	So you'd rather burn up cycles on systems
	all over eastern north america instead?

	"smail" says rutgers because you haven't
	RTFM 8^)...

	I'll quote from the preamble to the uucp
	pathalias map entry file "u.can.1" -

# This file contains routing information for the Canadian .Ca subdomains.

# The purpose of this preamble is to shut up pathalias if the local host
# does not declare any other links that should be used for this purpose.

# IT IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED that local gateways, to NetNorth, CDNnet, and
# the Internet, be identified, and by their permission you should add lines
# like:
#
# nngw		netnorth-ca-gws(DEDICATED)
# cdngw		cdnnet-ca-gws(DEDICATED)
# inetgw	internet-ca-gws(DEDICATED)
[...]

	Netnorth is the Canadian contingent of BitNet.
	In this case "nngw" would, with their permission,
	be one of "utgpu", "utai" or similar here in Toronto.
	In other areas the gateway member list should be
	consulted & the local members queried for possible
	routing. The additions would be kept in your local file
	of fixes etc. for the pathalias database.

Cheers,
--

kevin@jtsv16.UUCP (kevin) (06/12/89)

In article <577@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:
># IT IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED that local gateways, to NetNorth, CDNnet, and
># the Internet, be identified, and by their permission you should add lines
[...]

Well, we have a connection to uunet, so the path from here to
rutgers is uunet!rutgers.  The path to utgpu is geac!utgpu.
It seems to me that, since we pay for the uunet traffic directly,
and utgpu is not advertising that they want to be everyone's
forwarder, this is a better path.