[ont.uucp] long path to Ottawa from Toronto

eastick@me.utoronto.ca (Doug Eastick) (06/13/89)

Our (actually utai's) uucp database shows the following path for mail
going to geovision, and anything else cognos talks to:

  neat.ai.toronto.edu!rutgers!oddjob!gargoyle!spl1!scs!sce!cognos!geovision

Why would scs's (Carleton) call to spl1 (Chicago) be rated lower than a
connection to another Ottawa site? I would think that nrcaer or
bnr-vpa would be better. But that might just be politics.

Anyone?
--
Doug Eastick	eastick@me.UTORONTO.BITNET	UUCP: ...!utai!me!eastick
		eastick@me.utoronto.ca

dave@lsuc.on.ca (David Sherman) (06/13/89)

eastick@me.utoronto.ca (Doug Eastick) writes:

>Our (actually utai's) uucp database shows the following path for mail
>going to geovision, and anything else cognos talks to:
>
>  neat.ai.toronto.edu!rutgers!oddjob!gargoyle!spl1!scs!sce!cognos!geovision
>
>Why would scs's (Carleton) call to spl1 (Chicago) be rated lower than a
>connection to another Ottawa site? I would think that nrcaer or
>bnr-vpa would be better. But that might just be politics.

Well, lsuc!nrcaer is rated WEEKLY, and dciem!nrcaer is rated
POLLED/6.  They're both faster than that, I would think.
In the past, we didn't call nrcaer at all, though we do now.
They call us most evenings.  I don't mind upgrading lsuc!nrcaer
to DEMAND.  I just checked our L.sys line and added some improvements
so that it actually connects properly. :-)

That path you show is actually quite unremarkable, compared
with what happened in July 1986.  Remember when everyone suddenly
discovered UUCP over X.25 and announced "cheap" international links?
The best path from lsuc to seismo then came out as:

seismo	utcs!utai!ubc-vision!munnari!prlb2!enea!seismo!%s

That is, through U of T to Vancouver, Australia, Belgium and
Sweden to Virginia.  Now *that's* the long way around the world.

David Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
--
Moderator, mail.yiddish
{ uunet!attcan  att  utzoo }!lsuc!dave          dave@lsuc.on.ca

greg@sce.carleton.ca (Greg Franks) (06/19/89)

In article <89Jun12.233601edt.19238@me.utoronto.ca> eastick@me.utoronto.ca (Doug Eastick) writes:

>Our (actually utai's) uucp database shows the following path for mail
>going to geovision, and anything else cognos talks to:
>
>  neat.ai.toronto.edu!rutgers!oddjob!gargoyle!spl1!scs!sce!cognos!geovision
>
>Why would scs's (Carleton) call to spl1 (Chicago) be rated lower than a
>connection to another Ottawa site? I would think that nrcaer or
>bnr-vpa would be better. But that might just be politics.

We in Ottawa used to get mail/news/whatever over
dciem!nrcaer!{ottawa}.  For a short per]iod of time, we had a
satellite connection (perhaps we still do) from gandalf in chicago to
gandalf in Ottawa.  That's why the route goes through spl1.  Now, all
news goes through uunet!mitel!sce.  Mail still works through nrcaer.
  ..greg

(others locally are probably more familiar with the routing....)
--
Greg Franks   (613) 788-5726     Systems and Computer Engineering,
uunet!mitel!sce!greg (uucp)  	 Carleton University,

glee@cognos.UUCP (Godfrey Lee) (06/22/89)

In article <1989Jun13.065217.18770@lsuc.on.ca> dave@lsuc.on.ca (David Sherman) writes:
>I don't mind upgrading lsuc!nrcaer to DEMAND.

That would be good news. We in Ottawa have always considered nrcaer to be our
main link to Toronto, since there does not seem to be a direct link between
U. of T. and Carleton U.
--
Godfrey Lee                                            P.O. Box 9707
Cognos Incorporated                                    3755 Riverside Dr.