[ont.uucp] dptcdc Going Off The Air

bar@datapoint.com (Brian Ruptash) (08/06/89)

It's with great regret that I announce the closure of the Datapoint
Canadian Development Centre, effective August 4th.  CDC was
responsible for core OSI, TCP/IP and X.25 product development for
Datapoint Corporation, headquartered in San Antonio, Texas.  The
corporation has decided to close the centre in an effort to
consolidate the product development organisation, and reduce
operating overhead.

As a result, the MicroVAX II system named dptcdc will be relocating
to Brussels, Belgium, and renamed dptbxl.  I will be leaving today
for Brussels to manage the transition of product development,
maintenance and technology, so until my next return, dptcdc will
remain on line.  Sometime in the next week or two, it will be packed
up for shipment and disconnected from the world.

As a result of this action, all of our downstream news feeds will
have to find a news source elsewhere - unless you wish to maintain
a newsfeed from Belgium (you poll us...).  If I can be of assistance,
please drop me a note, and I'll try to help out when I return in
a week or so.

Regardless of changes in the geographic organisation of our corporate
network, I will still be reachable as "bar@datapoint.com" (isn't
a domain name service wonderful), and more directly (ie. via San
Antonio rather than via Brussels) as "bar@sat.datapoint.com".

I apologise for the incovenience this is bound to impose, and thank
you for your cooperation.

--
Brian Ruptash                |  Internet: bar@datapoint.com
Principal Architect          |  UUCP:     {uunet, utzoo}!dptcdc!bar

david@torsqnt.UUCP (David Haynes) (08/07/89)

bar@datapoint.com (Brian Ruptash) writes:

>It's with great regret that I announce the closure of the Datapoint
>Canadian Development Centre, effective August 4th.

Torsqnt is willing to take dptcdc's mail and newsfeed load providing
we can get a reliable inbound feed (dptcdc used to feed us). We have
1200/2400 and telebit inbound/outbound capability.

If you need a mail/news link, contact david@torsqnt.UUCP and I will
get everything ready for you. To speed things up, try to answer the
following questions in your first mailing.

Service:	mail and/or news
Site Name:
Login:		U_______
Password:	(whatever)
Polling:	You poll us/we poll you
		If we poll you, a modem telephone # would be nice
Sys entry:	If available, your line from your L.sys would help

Also indicate whether you want direct feed or ihave/sendme protocol.

If you are willing to feed torsqnt (preferably over telebit) give
me a shout. I am trying to get a feed from yunexus, but they are
a little over committed now so an alternative feed would be nice.

-david-
David Haynes			Sequent Computer Systems (Canada) Ltd.
"...and this is true, which is unusual for marketing." -- RG May 1989
...!{utgpu, yunexus, dptcdc}!torsqnt!david -or- david@torsqnt.UUCP