[ont.uucp] news and net outage

lamy@ai.utoronto.ca (Jean-Francois Lamy) (12/04/89)

The NSFNET link to the US over which UofT gets most of its news is down (no
estimated time to repair has been given). This will likely perturb normal
flow patterns (tsunami time :-)

So far I haven't seen anything come through the good ole UUCP backup feeds.
In any event, a reciprocal NNTP backup feed to Montreal over the RISQ-ONET
gateway is in the works (RISQ is Reseau Interordinateurs Scientifiques
Quebecois, and connects to the NYSERNET regional network), so we will get a
little better protection against news outages+surges on both regional nets.

Jean-Francois Lamy               lamy@ai.utoronto.ca, uunet!ai.utoronto.ca!lamy
AI Group, Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4
Departement d'informatique et recherche operationelle, Universite de Montreal.

In article <89Dec3.210052est.2296@neat.cs.toronto.edu> lamy@ai.utoronto.ca (Jean-Francois Lamy) writes:
>The NSFNET link to the US over which UofT gets most of its news is down...
>So far I haven't seen anything come through the good ole UUCP backup feeds.

How quickly you NNTP folks get spoiled and forget the old days when news
propagation wasn't instantaneous. :-)

Yes, stuff is coming through the backup feeds.  They just aren't as quick.
--
Mars can wait:  we've barely   |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
started exploring the Moon.    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu