[ont.uucp] lsuc.on.ca interruption

jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) (02/05/90)

lsuc.on.ca will be undergoing a brain transplant starting February 9.

uucp and news may be interrupted for a few days.

We are converting from a Perkin-Elmer 3220 running V7 to an AT&T 3B2/500
running System V 3.2.

This will allow us to go beyond the current 1200 baud limitation of the PE.
The new configuration will feature 2400 baud dialin and a Telebit T2500
outdial modem.

Please be patient while we go through this upgrade.

Happy trails.

--
[ Jim Mercer  jim@lsuc.On.Ca || ...!uunet!attcan!lsuc!jim    +1 416 947-5258 ]
[    The opinions expressed here are my own and not those of my employer     ]

dave@lsuc.on.ca (David Sherman) (02/08/90)

jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) writes:

> lsuc.on.ca will be undergoing a brain transplant starting February 9.
>
> uucp and news may be interrupted for a few days.
>
> We are converting from a Perkin-Elmer 3220 running V7 to an AT&T 3B2/500
> running System V 3.2.

Just to provide a bit more information for people... we're not
only replacing the hardware, we're moving at the same time.
Due to renovations in Osgoode Hall, the Bar Admission Course
and Computer Education Facility are moving to 20 Queen St. West
(Cadillac Fairview tower), 34th floor, for 6-8 months.  We were
planning to replace the P-E at some point anyway, but the move
has forced the issue.

The schedule is this: the physical move happens over the weekend,
starting at 5pm Friday (Feb 9).  The Perkin-Elmer will stay, but
with only one phone line to the world, not a line used by UUCP
connections.  The PACX front-end and the new machine will be moved
Friday evening, and our dialin lines will be call-forwarded to
the new location sometime during the weekend.  The 3B2 will be
renamed "lsuc" and, it is hoped, will be up by Monday morning for
UUCP mail passing.  Netnews will take us a bit longer, as we have
to build it on the 3B2.

Given the combination of hardware, software, physical location
and communications line changes, it won't surprise me in the
least if things aren't working on Monday.  If you route mail
through lsuc, assume that anything that isn't through us by
5pm Friday will sit for several days.  And, while we plan to
have the same mail/rmail/smail software running as we use now,
it's possible our mailer will behave differently.

I'm pretty much sitting on the sidelines for all this, as I
have cut down my time commitment to the Law Society and am not
running the UUCP connections any more.  Jim Mercer gets all the
credit for planning and organizing the computer move.

If anyone wants to buy a Very Large personal computer (complete
with special cooling and power requirements), let us know...

David Sherman
--
Moderator, mail.yiddish
{ uunet!attcan  att  utzoo }!lsuc!dave          dave@lsuc.on.ca