[ont.uucp] Cruddy peripherals

mark@sickkids.UUCP (Mark Bartelt) (02/07/90)

In article <1990Feb6.171326.15603@utzoo.uucp>
henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

> I'm still disgusted that a 3/180 can't run a 2400-baud uucp line at full
> speed -- the 44 could.)

Gack!  That's truly appalling.  (I've never had to deal with Suns, and
wasn't aware how awful their serial I/O stuff was.)

We can handle uucp at 2400 baud on our IBM XTs!  (With Venix/86, that is.
I'm fairly certain that DOS+UUPC can go even faster, but it's undoubtedly
a fairer comparison to match the two UNIXes.)  And we all know what a pile
of junk those boxes are.  What's more, the 2400 baud is with the standard
IBM serial card, which easily meets the cruddiness characteristics of the
computer itself; you can certainly do 4800 baud uucp (under Venix) if you
equip your XT with a decent serial I/O board; possibly 9600, I'm not sure.
I presume that the 286 boxes (not quite as appallingly bad as the XTs, but
still not terribly likely to win any major awards) would do better yet.

I hope the designers at Sun are appropriately embarrassed.

Mark Bartelt                    INTERNET: mark@sickkids.toronto.edu
Hospital for Sick Children                mark@sickkids.utoronto.ca
598-6442                        UUCP: {utzoo,utgpu,lsuc}!sickkids!mark

In article <387@sickkids.UUCP> mark@sickkids.UUCP (Mark Bartelt) writes:
>> I'm still disgusted that a 3/180 can't run a 2400-baud uucp line at full
>> speed -- the 44 could.)
>
>Gack!  That's truly appalling.  (I've never had to deal with Suns, and
>wasn't aware how awful their serial I/O stuff was.)

I think it's a combination of a dumb multiplexor and a dumb driver.  Sun
believes in workstations and Ethernets and doesn't believe in timesharing
and serial lines, so the mux driver didn't get a lot of attention.  Of
course, even a workstation occasionally has to talk to someone serially,
which is why most Suns have a pair of serial ports on the CPU board...
and although the hardware behind those ports is even simpler than that
on the mux board, the *driver* has been carefully and painstakingly greased
up and *those* ports run very well at high speeds.
--
SVR4:  every feature you ever |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
wanted, and plenty you didn't.| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

eric@ists.ists.ca (Eric M. Carroll) (02/08/90)

>I think it's a combination of a dumb multiplexor and a dumb driver.

The real solution is to never buy ALM boards and get Annexes. They are
about the same price and do a vastly better job. Excellent product.

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (02/08/90)

In article <387@sickkids.UUCP> mark@sickkids.UUCP (Mark Bartelt) writes:
|[...]
|We can handle uucp at 2400 baud on our IBM XTs!  (With Venix/86, that is.
|I'm fairly certain that DOS+UUPC can go even faster, but it's undoubtedly
|a fairer comparison to match the two UNIXes.)  And we all know what a pile
|of junk those boxes are.  What's more, the 2400 baud is with the standard
|IBM serial card, which easily meets the cruddiness characteristics of the
|computer itself; you can certainly do 4800 baud uucp (under Venix) if you
|equip your XT with a decent serial I/O board; possibly 9600, I'm not sure.
|I presume that the 286 boxes (not quite as appallingly bad as the XTs, but
|still not terribly likely to win any major awards) would do better yet.
|
|I hope the designers at Sun are appropriately embarrassed.

	Commodore Amigas have extermely fast serial
	ports - they'll handle MIDI flat out (32Kbps),
	and will reliably transfer over 1200 character
	per second, even with Amix. They appear to have
	better serial i/o capacity than the AT&T 3B1,
	which certainly is no slouch either...

Cheers,
--
  (__)	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \@@/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

davecb@yunexus.UUCP (David Collier-Brown) (02/08/90)

Someone (henry?) saith:

eric@ists.ists.ca (Eric M. Carroll) writes:
>The real solution is to never buy ALM boards and get Annexes. They are
>about the same price and do a vastly better job. Excellent product.

Agreed!  Anybody want to trade for some ALM-1's?

--dave (alas, I have six) c-b
--
David Collier-Brown,  | davecb@yunexus, ...!yunexus!davecb or
72 Abitibi Ave.,      | {toronto area...}lethe!dave