[ont.uucp] oscvax

molnar@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Tom Molnar) (02/07/90)

Is oscvax sill alive?  I thought it disappeared long ago.

Someone attempted to log into the old oscvax uucp account on gpu
recently.  I doubt it was legitimate.  Anyone who used to have uucp
connections to oscvax should check their logs to see if anyone
has been trying to gain unauthorized entry via uucp.

Tom Molnar
--
Tom Molnar
Unix Systems Group, University of Toronto Computing Services.

gksmith@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Gary Smith) (02/12/90)

In article <1990Feb6.232607.23084@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca>, molnar@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Tom Molnar) writes:

> Is oscvax sill alive?  I thought it disappeared long ago.
>
> Someone attempted to log into the old oscvax uucp account on gpu
> recently.  I doubt it was legitimate.  Anyone who used to have uucp
> connections to oscvax should check their logs to see if anyone
> has been trying to gain unauthorized entry via uucp.

It was I who called up.  I am trying to get uucp up and running again,
this time on an Amiga ( our vax 11/750 ) has just about had it.
I was trying the entries in the L.sys file to see if we still had a
connection to the outside world.  Sorry for any inconvience.

Gary Smith
Ontario Science Centre
gksmith@watcgl.waterloo.edu  <-- it's my only stable address.
(416) 429-4100 ext. 228

rjanzen%alias@csri.utoronto.ca (Ron Janzen) (02/13/90)

In article <1990Feb6.232607.23084@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> molnar@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Tom Molnar) writes:
>Is oscvax still alive?  I thought it disappeared long ago.
>
>Someone attempted to log into the old oscvax uucp account on gpu
>recently.  I doubt it was legitimate.  Anyone who used to have uucp
>connections to oscvax should check their logs to see if anyone
>has been trying to gain unauthorized entry via uucp.

I used to be the systems person for oscvax up until Nov/88.  As far as
I know the machine is still there however there was nobody there with
enough UNIX knowledge to keep the outside connections going after I
left. It's primary use these days is as a display of a `modern'
computer (it's a 750 :-) and it also drives a few VT100 based exhibits.
Since the Science Centre regularily gets co-op students from U of
Waterloo it is possible that one of them is trying to re-establish
outside mail connections. However as Tom says it is probably best to
check the logs and disable any old oscvax UUCP logins that still exist.
If they wish to re-establish mail contacts after such a long period
they should probably go through the normal process of contacting a site
administrator to get a new UUCP account.