[net.wines] Storage of fine vintage soda

mom@sftri.UUCP (Mark Modig) (04/26/85)

Does anybody have any suggestions for long term storage of real
honest-to-God Coca Cola [which shall be no more after May 8]?

Not entirely joking,
Mark Modig
ihnp4!sftri!mom

c-hunt@tesla.UUCP (Charles Hunt) (04/29/85)

>Does anybody have any suggestions for long term storage of real
>honest-to-God Coca Cola [which shall be no more after May 8]?

The storage needs and goals for wine are more directed towards evolution of
the beverage as opposed to preservation.  Whereas I want to nurture the wine
in my cellar towards a hopeful optimum character, Coca-Cola is at its "peak"
right now (I can't believe I said that!).

Since Coke is mostly water, I suggest you freeze the concentrate for drinking
in 20+ years, or whenever, and reconstitute with soda water for a near
approximation to vintage '85.
=Charles Hunt=

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (05/02/85)

> Does anybody have any suggestions for long term storage of real
> honest-to-God Coca Cola [which shall be no more after May 8]?
>
> Not entirely joking,
> Mark Modig
> ihnp4!sftri!mom

You have my sympathy; my wife has the same desire. Unfortunately, I think
the main problem with soda is the containers it is packaged in -- they are not
designed for long-term storage. I've noticed that when I stock up on 2-liter
bottles, the last ones used are noticeably less carbonated than the first.
I also think that pop-top cans have microscopic leakage around the pop-top,
and also lose pressure over time.

I fear the only way to preserve soda would be an hyperbaric chamber,
pressurized with CO2 to a higher-than-in-the-container pressure level,
and kept at an even, fairly low (~40 deg F. maybe?) temperature. There
would have to be provisions for getting the soda out a container at a time
without lowering (or, probably, varying) the pressure -- I think this
rules out large airlocks and you walking in in a pressure suit, so maybe some
automated materials-handling gear would have to be used to move the
containers to a small airlock.

I think this has left the realm of cost-effectiveness; it would probably
be cheaper to steal the original Coca-Cola formula and start your own
bottling plant -- probably some out-of-business regional bottlers'
facilities are available for reasonable prices...

What I have not understood about all this Coke-flavor-change brouhaha
is why they didn't maintain the old flavor as a sideline. They now have
various forms and flavors of soda, some diet, some low-caffiene, etc.
Why not have "Coke 1" and "Coke 2"?

(Or, now that they've changed, why wouldn't Coca-Cola license the use of
their old formula to bottlers catering to people preferring the "old Coke"?)

Will Martin

USENET: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin     or   ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (05/02/85)

> I think this has left the realm of cost-effectiveness; it would probably
> be cheaper to steal the original Coca-Cola formula and start your own
> bottling plant -- probably some out-of-business regional bottlers'
> facilities are available for reasonable prices...
> (Or, now that they've changed, why wouldn't Coca-Cola license the use of
> their old formula to bottlers catering to people preferring the "old Coke"?)

People have tried.  Just because COKE won't make it anymore, don't think
that they are going to let anyone else have it.  They are switching to
get more of the market share, not to divide it up.  Do the bottlers actually
make the Coke syrup?  I thought it was trucked in.

> What I have not understood about all this Coke-flavor-change brouhaha
> is why they didn't maintain the old flavor as a sideline. They now have
> various forms and flavors of soda, some diet, some low-caffiene, etc.
> Why not have "Coke 1" and "Coke 2"?

Actually, I just read that the changes are not that substantial, mostly
changing from Sugar to Corn Syrup.

-Ron

RC goes better with the Moon Pies anyway.

wjhe@hlexa.UUCP (Bill Hery) (05/03/85)

> Does anybody have any suggestions for long term storage of real
> honest-to-God Coca Cola [which shall be no more after May 8]?

Try to get glass bottles, not the new plastic ones.  Soda in the
plastic bottles will start going flat in a few months.

Another thought is to get the Coke syrup and mix it with club soda
yourself.

mike@amdcad.UUCP (Mike Parker) (05/03/85)

In article <10364@brl-tgr.ARPA>, wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) writes:

> What I have not understood about all this Coke-flavor-change brouhaha
> is why they didn't maintain the old flavor as a sideline. They now have
> various forms and flavors of soda, some diet, some low-caffiene, etc.
> Why not have "Coke 1" and "Coke 2"?
>
> (Or, now that they've changed, why wouldn't Coca-Cola license the use of
> their old formula to bottlers catering to people preferring the "old Coke"?)

This totally inapproprite to net.wines, so flame me. My mail is
boring lately.

As I hear it the oke recipe change is not marketing driven, if you
think about it *is* kind of hard to see why they would do it. I'm
told that Cokes 99 year old recipe contains some now exotic "things"
thus making it expensive to produce. The recipe change is a cost
cutter.

Mike @ AMDCAD

Then again I could be totally off base

fred@mnetor.UUCP (Fred Williams) (05/07/85)

> As I hear it the oke recipe change is not marketing driven, if you
> think about it *is* kind of hard to see why they would do it. I'm
> told that Cokes 99 year old recipe contains some now exotic "things"
> thus making it expensive to produce. The recipe change is a cost
> cutter.
>
> Mike @ AMDCAD
>
> Then again I could be totally off base

	No, anything done by a large corporation is often done for
one reason, and one reason only.  I would think that the major
change to coke's recipe will be an increase in the amount of water
which is reasonably cheap to come by.  This being the case, I
can see pepsi following within the year, as well as many other
drink companies. Of coarse this is only conjecture! Also you must
consider that I am rather suspicious of large companies and any
governments. It comes from living in Ottawa near the updraft
around the parliament buildings.

friedman@topaz.ARPA ( -Gadi ) (05/11/85)

I heared on a Radio show that the new Coke loses its fiz
in 1.5 minutes when it's in a plastic cup with ice.
(when bought from a fast food place, like Berger King..)
Has anyone noticed this?  (The Show was an interview with
a Coke executive and had a call in section at the end. When
the interviewer tried this on the show, he reported a noticable
loss of CO2.  The executive had no explanation, he said the still
bottled it under the same pressure...)

                                       -Gadi
                          friedman@topaz.uucp,ru-topaz.arpa