[net.wines] GLUG: anyone have a recipe?

dob@ihlpa.UUCP (Daniel M. O'Brien) (06/30/85)

When I was a child I remember my father concocting a wine-based
drink in the fall and winter months that he would let "age" a
few weeks. It had fruit (raisans, et al.) and some other kind
of liquor (brandy or whiskey). I thought he called it GLUG.
Anyone know of this kind of drink and maybe have a recipe
to share with me (us)?

Tanks (or maybe mugs?) alot

---
			Daniel M. O'Brien (ihnp4!ihlpa!dob)
			AT&T Bell Laboratories
			IH 4A-258, x 4782
			Naperville-Wheaton Road
			Naperville, IL 60566

dccarr@ihuxb.UUCP (d.c. carr) (07/02/85)

> When I was a child I remember my father concocting a wine-based
> drink in the fall and winter months that he would let "age" a
> few weeks. It had fruit (raisans, et al.) and some other kind
> of liquor (brandy or whiskey). I thought he called it GLUG.
> Anyone know of this kind of drink and maybe have a recipe
> to share with me (us)?
>
> Tanks (or maybe mugs?) alot
>
> ---
> 			Daniel M. O'Brien (ihnp4!ihlpa!dob)

A Christmas tradition in the Carr household:

                         GLOGG (Swedish Hot Spiced Wine)

        Ingredients

                3.75    liters of ruby port wine
                1.5     liters of brandy
                1       cup brown sugar
                1       cup white seedless raisins
                1       package blanched almonds

                    spice bag:
                      11      whole cardamom seeds
                      6       whole cloves
                      1       cinnamon stick

        Procedure

                Mix wine, brandy and spice bag in a large pan  and  bring
                just to a simmer and add brown sugar.

                Simmer for 35 seconds but NEVER bring to a full boil.

                Allow glogg to cool, place spice bag into large container
                and pour in the glogg (divide spices into smaller bags if
                more than one container is used).

                Sample daily and remove spices when spiced to your  taste
                (usually 2 - 10 days).

                Marinate raisins and almonds in a small jar of glogg.

        To Serve

                Warm glogg to a simmer on the stove.

                Place an almond and a few raisins in the bottom  of  each
                cup and add the hot glogg.

                Add some good thoughts, good music and good friends.

	NOTE:	Up to 0.5 liters of the brandy can be substituted with
		grain alcohol.  Be careful, though!  A drink this potent
		is damn near lethal!

Dave Carr
ihnp4!ihuxb!dccarr

thb@unisoft.UUCP (Tim Bessie) (07/08/85)

In article <1085@ihuxb.UUCP> dccarr@ihuxb.UUCP (d.c. carr) writes:
>A Christmas tradition in the Carr household:
>

>                         GLOGG (Swedish Hot Spiced Wine)

Actually, depending upon your terminal, it should be GL0GG (note
slash through O).

				- Tim Bessie