[net.wines] beers

mgh@mtuni.UUCP (Marcus Hand) (01/14/86)

Newsgroups: net.wines
Subject: Re: beer

The thing that gives most of the Scottish and Northern beers their distinctive
flavour is the amount of malt used in the wort.  hey often have more caramel
and less hops than southern bitters.

		marcus

Newsgroups: net.nlang
Subject: Re: Americanisms and Canadianisms
In article <129@ubc-cs.UUCP> ludemann@ubc-cs.UUCP (Peter Ludemann) writes:
>In article <8086@ucla-cs.ARPA> wales@ucla-cs.UUCP (Rich Wales) writes:
>>It might be instructive (even amusing) to take this chance to try and
>>put together a list of some of the more common Americanisms/Canadianisms
>>which are liable to confuse people from the opposite side of the border.
>
>Here are a few more:
>
>	Canadian usage			American usage
>	--------------			--------------
>	route (pronounced "root")	(pronounced to rhyme with "out")
>	hawk (hock?) [slang]: to steal
>	deke (out) [hockey slang]	to fake (out) (an opponent)
>
>When I was in elementary school, we were usually taught British
>spellings ("centre", "programme, " etc.) but with the odd Americanism
>("jail", "connection", "curb" instead of "gaol", "connexion", "kerb").
>Final -ize tended to be preferred over -ise.  Newspapers and magazines tend
>to use all American speellings, probably because they're shorter (one
	             ^^^^^^^^^^ -- American or Canadian?
>"national" newspaper even uses "cigaret").  For many things, we use
>the American words rather than British (I'm sure that someone referring
>to a "lift" (elevator) or "boot/wing of a car" (trunk/finder) would get
>funny looks.  On the other hand, "spanner" seems to be generally understood
>as a "non-adjustable wrench").

As a non-resident Brit....

Hmm, the only place I can remember seeing "connexion" consistently is
in the Times (of London).  As for jail/gaol either is accepatble and
has been for many years.  "Programme" always, except when talking about
a computer program (also disc).  "Curb" your driving lest you hit the
"kerb". (It depends on what you mean.)   And as for the rest, there are
so many, and so few people whose spelling is good enough to distinguish :-)

Finally, I thought "hawking" was:
		1. trying to flog (sell) something (as in "No Hawkers, No
			Callers")
		2. a heavy clearing of the throat in preparation for use
			of the spittoon.
Newsgroups: net.wines
In article <358@watmum.UUCP> tjsmedley@watmum.UUCP (Trevor J. Smedley) writes:
>>What IS ale as opposed to beer?
>
>I always thought that one was top fermented (yeast on top in the
>fermentation tanks) and the other bottom fermented. Can't remember
>which is which though. I'll see if I can look it up somewhere.

You're thinking about the difference between beers and lagers.  Lagers are
fermented with a bottom fermenting yeast, while beers use top fermenting
types.

--
			Marcus Hand	(mtuni!mgh)