[net.wines] Champagne prices in California

broder@magic.ARPA (Andrei Broder) (01/16/86)

In article <1316@tekgvs.UUCP> jerem@tekgvs.UUCP (Jere Marrs) writes:

>     I agree the 'real thing' is best. However, I envy the prices you show
>for the French Champagnes! They must be "Grey-Market" prices because the
>prices here (Oregon) are _MUCH_ higher!
>
>     I wish I could get a Bollinger (_any_ Bollinger) at $13.
>
>	Jere Marrs
>	Tektronix, Inc.

Champagnes are much cheaper here because independent distributors are
legal.   (A friend of mine claims that California prices for French
Champagne are about the same as in the Orly duty-free shop.)  The
largest savings are for the top cuvees - sometimes 50-60% off list.

Recently, the legislature tried to make this illegal, but fortunately
the Governor veto-ed it.  As a result, California and Spanish
champagnes are cheaper too:  Liqour Barn sells Domaine Chandon, which
I think is the best California champagne, for under $8 in fifths, and
around $20 in magnums.

If there is enough interest I'll post a list of the Champagne prices
around here.

- Andrei