[net.wines] beer

john@cisden.UUCP (John Woolley) (12/18/85)

Is this newsgroup only for discussion of *wine*, or is (sigh) **beer**
allowed, too?
--
				Peace and Good!,
				      Fr. John Woolley

rjn@hpfcla.UUCP (12/21/85)

re: "Is this newsgroup only for discussion of *wine* ..."

This  newsgroup  has barely enough  discussion  of grape wine to justify its
continued  existence.  I doubt  anyone  will object if you choose to discuss
"hop wine" or "barley wine" :-)

Regards,                                              Hewlett-Packard
Bob "fond of dry plum wine myself" Niland             3404 East Harmony Road
[ihnp4|hplabs]!hpfcla!rjn                             Fort Collins CO  80525

miller@loral.UUCP (David P. Miller) (12/21/85)

Hey !!. That's a great idea . Why not net.beer !!. Any suds fans second that ??.

					 BIG DAVE.

--

David P. Miller - Loral Instrumentation.
sdcsvax!sdcc3!sdcc6!loral!miller

jt@nrcvax.UUCP (Jerry Toporek) (12/23/85)

In article <327@cisden.UUCP> john@cisden.UUCP (John Woolley) writes:
>Is this newsgroup only for discussion of *wine*, or is (sigh) **beer**
>allowed, too?

Beer is not only allowed, but also highly recommended.  (But not Coors ;->)

spp@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Stephen P Pope) (01/03/86)

In article <34100001@hpfcmp.UUCP>, rjn@hpfcla.UUCP writes:
> re: "Is this newsgroup only for discussion of *wine* ..."
>
> [ihnp4|hplabs]!hpfcla!rjn                             Fort Collins CO  80525

According to official description from USENET, this group
is for discussions on "wines and spirits".

Beer is neither.  however, I expect the intent is all
alchololic beverages, so bottoms up guys!

steve

ttp@kestrel.ARPA (01/03/86)

Enough discussion of whether or not there'll be a discussion about
beer! I'd like to hear comments about MacKewan's {sp?} Edinburgh Ale
(come's with a RED label, not a green/red pattern}. It's available at
the Liquor Barn, if you happen to be in the SF bay area.  I don't know
about its ingredients. It has a sweet taste. What IS ale as
opposed to beer? Why doesn't this one taste like any other ale I've
tasted?  Alternatively, which other ales (or beers) are like this one?

-tom

dave@ur-helheim.UUCP (David F. Carlson) (01/06/86)

In article <3718@kestrel.ARPA> ttp@kestrel.ARPA writes:

>Enough discussion of whether or not there'll be a discussion about
>beer! I'd like to hear comments about MacKewan's {sp?} Edinburgh Ale
>What IS ale as opposed to beer? Why doesn't this one taste like any other ale I've
>tasted?  Alternatively, which other ales (or beers) are like this one?
>
>-tom

Ale vs beer is a very old question.  It used to be that brewing with
hops was considered a bad thing.  King Henry V (I believe) decreed
on pain of prison death or worse that all beers brewed in England must
not have any hops.  In less repressive times people found out that the
bittering of the hops produced more enjoyable beers, and there use was
made virtually universal.  Previous to hops, people used to put palatable
things like nettles into beer.  Originally, ales used to have less hops and
thus be more full bodied and less bitter.  Today that line is so confused
as to be non-existent.  Light beer, heavy ales, lagers, pilsners--who
can tell?

MacKewan's Edinburgh is a ale which is, as you say, sweet.  In days of
yore a greater amount of ales used to be sweet.  (British stouts and
ales of this variety reflect this.)  In fact, mead, the "original"
viking drink was made of honey--pretty sweet stuff.  The sweet stouts
and ales are made by including, at some stage of the brewing process,
large quantities of unfermentable sugars--fructose or lactose, etc.
are added, producing a curious taste to the uninitiated.

yours for better beer

dave
btw:  In my tenure on this net, beers and wine are welcome topics.
		So go ahead and post.
--
"The Faster I Go the Behinder I Get"
--Lewis Carroll

Dave Carlson

{allegra,seismo,decvax}!rochester!ur-valhalla!dave

msc@saber.UUCP (Mark Callow) (01/09/86)

> In article <3718@kestrel.ARPA> ttp@kestrel.ARPA writes:
> >beer! I'd like to hear comments about MacKewan's {sp?} Edinburgh Ale
> >-tom
>
> MacKewan's Edinburgh is a ale which is, as you say, sweet.  In days of
> Dave Carlson

Enough already.  I hoped the person answering the ale vs. beer question
would correct the name but no such luck.  It's *McEwan's* Export (in
Britain at least.  They may well call it "Edinburgh" in the U.S.)  Brewed
by Scottish and Newcastle Breweries plc. (probably at their brewery in
Newcastle Upon Tyne -- just kidding, it's brewed in Edinburgh).  Other
ales produced by this combine include Newcastle Brown and Newcastle Amber
Ales.
--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@saber.uucp,  sun!saber!msc@decwrl.dec.com ...{ihnp4,sun}!saber!msc

tjsmedley@watmum.UUCP (Trevor J. Smedley) (01/10/86)

>What IS ale as opposed to beer?

I always thought that one was top fermented (yeast on top in the
fermentation tanks) and the other bottom fermented. Can't remember
which is which though. I'll see if I can look it up somewhere.

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (01/13/86)

The imported "Newcastle Brown Ale" comes with a descriptive bboklet which
indicates that the brewing of ale is done with the yeast at the top of the
brew, while the brewing of beer is done by yeast at the bottom. This is both
yeast selection and ingredients from what I've read. At any rate , make mine
ale.
--
	-bill davidsen

	seismo!rochester!steinmetz!--\
       /                               \
ihnp4!              unirot ------------->---> crdos1!davidsen
       \                               /
        chinet! ---------------------/        (davidsen@ge-crd.ARPA)

"It seemed like a good idea at the time..."

dave@ur-helheim.UUCP (David F. Carlson) (01/20/86)

In article <620@steinmetz.UUCP> davidsen@kbsvax.UUCP (Davidsen) writes:

>The imported "Newcastle Brown Ale" comes with a descriptive bboklet which
>indicates that the brewing of ale is done with the yeast at the top of the
>brew, while the brewing of beer is done by yeast at the bottom. This is both
>yeast selection and ingredients from what I've read. At any rate , make mine
>ale.

My hassle with defining a beer as a bottom brewed malted beverage is that the
yeast (Carlsbergensis, for the Danish brewery) was not isolated until the 1870's
(as my fractured memory remembers).  That means that no one drank any beer but
rather ale for all time before that date.  Think of how the history books would
have to be changed!  No folks, I don't buy the top/bottom argument.  That date
is the advent of LAGER beer but what of other types of beer?

--

laura@hoptoad.uucp (Laura Creighton) (01/30/86)

In article <433@ur-helheim.UUCP> dave@helheim.UUCP (David F. Carlson) writes:

>My hassle with defining a beer as a bottom brewed malted beverage is that the
>yeast (Carlsbergensis, for the Danish brewery) was not isolated until the 1870's
>(as my fractured memory remembers).  That means that no one drank any beer but
>rather ale for all time before that date.  Think of how the history books would
>have to be changed!  No folks, I don't buy the top/bottom argument.  That date
>is the advent of LAGER beer but what of other types of beer?

If you are in the US you have a worse problem.  The government, with infinite
wisdom, has decided that the only difference between a beer and an ale is
*Alcohol Content*.  If it has more than <I forget how much> then it is an
Ale.  Period.  No exceptions for American made beers/ales and very few
loopholes for imported stuff.  So the label means nothing.

Of course, if you are in the US you have an even worse problem -- most
Americans really do want to drink carbonated dish water.  This makes the
brewing process rather interesting -- you have to get the mash out *fast*
or you might get some real beer by mistake...so some places add extra
alcohol later to make up for it.  Really revolting...
--
Laura Creighton
sun!hoptoad!laura		(note new address!  l5 will still