[net.wines] 83 Red Burgundies tasting - pre wines

broder@magic.DEC.COM (Andrei Broder) (02/17/86)

In article <4129@glacier.ARPA> WILKINS@SRI-WARBUCKS.ARPA writes:
>From: Wilkins  <WILKINS@SRI-WARBUCKS.ARPA>
>Pre wines: 78 Marion Cabernet -- this is still doing nicely for
>inexpensive wine.  Enjoyable, burgundian character, and still some
>fruit.  The 82 Buehler Cabernet had a closed nose of paste and ethyl
>acetate.  In the mouth it was tannic, green, harsh with lots of tight
>fruit (as Charlie put it, "for youthful offensiveness, I accuse B").
>The 77 Sherrill Cellars Shell Creek Cabernet got the same notes it
>got last time in the 77 Cab tourney: strange, tannic, sour, odd,
>unexciting.

Actually at the same tasting a majority of the people in my room,
liked the 82 Buehler most  (of the three cabs).  If you like
massive California cabs, you'll love it.  It is very deep colored
with purple reflexes.  I thought it to have strong  blackcurrants and
cherry aromas.  On the palate I thought it to be very rich, somewhat
inky, with firm but not harsh tannins, balanced quite well by the
fruit.  It is very good now, but I believe it will be superb in a few
years.  I must say that I tasted it probably 10-15 minutes later
than Dave, which might have made a difference.

The 82 Buehler Cabernet Sauvignon is on sale at Draegers in Menlo
Park (415-322-2723) for $7.19/bottle or $83.88/case which I think is
amazingly low for the quality of the wine.  Draegers ships anywhere
in California, but hurry up - the guy from D.  was saying that they
are running low after the "Wine Advocate" gave it a 90 rating.  K&L
in Redwood City (415-364-8544) also has it for $7.69/$89.00 and they
ship to most states.

By the way, Draegers also has on sale the 83 Domaine Claire Dau,
Bonnes Mares, about which I share Dave ravings (I rated it first, far
ahead).  Unfortunately, even on sale it is $39.95. (An amusing
coicindence: apparently, it also got a 90 rating from the WA.)

- Andrei Broder