[net.wines] Saving 1980 French wines for 2001

ted@bcsaic.UUCP (07/03/86)

In article <254@hdsvx1.UUCP> hoffman@hdsvx1.UUCP (Richard Hoffman) writes:
>My son was born in 1980; I would like to buy some wines for that year with
>the hopes of opening them at significant events later on his life (for
>instance, high school graduation, 21st birthday, etc.).  So far, I have
>acquired two:
>
>	Pommard 1er Cru ("Le Clos Blanc"), Domaine Marchard de Gramart
>
>	Chateau Malineau, Saint-Emilion Grand Cru
>
>Are they worth saving?  More important, will I be able to save them?  We live
>in a cellar-less house in Texas, where the best I can promise a bottle of wine
>is a place on the floor of a little used closet, where the temperature ranges
>between 70F and 80F most of the year.
>
>Is this a reasonable endeavor, or should I give it up and enjoy them now?
>Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

These wines will stand the aging process, but not at the temperatures you
indicate.  The optimum aging temperature is in the 50-55 degree F. range.
You might consider getting a small refrigerator, one that would hold just
a few bottles, as a protection for the investment you would want to make.

TJ {With Amazing Grace} The Piper
(aka Ted Jardine)  CFI-ASME/I
Boeing Artificial Intelligence Center
...uw-beaver!uw-june!bcsaic!ted