[net.wines] Wine rack

kena@ihu1m.UUCP (k.h. abshier) (10/01/85)

I am interested in building a wine rack in my basement and would be
interrested in any ideas anyone has as to how to go about building one.
I would like to build one fairly large, big enough to hold about
40 - 50 bottles or more.
Any help would be appreciated.  thanks.  Ken Abshier  ihu1m!kena
                                               312-979-3430
wq:

kena@ihu1m.UUCP (k.h. abshier) (10/01/85)

Actually i would like to make this rack big enough to hold about 100 or so
bottles.  I have a wall 7 x 14 in my bar room that I am going to put
this rack on or build into the wall.
thanks again.  Ken Abshier  ihu1m!kena  312-979-3430
:wq

rws@gypsy.UUCP (10/03/85)

One nice design I saw was actually a set of bins, where each bin was a 90
degree diamond (or, square on its corner.  I guess you could size them to
suit, but the one I saw pictures of seemed to hold about 12 bottles per bin.

If you're storing 100 bottles, make sure you're close to an outside
subterranean wall, so that the wine stays cool.  If you can seal it up from
outside drafts, you might even want to expose the concrete/brick/block
behind the rack.

Good luck,

Bob Schwanke

Siemens Research
Princeton, NJ
08540-6668

seismo!princeton!siemens!rws

schley@mmm.UUCP (Steve Schley) (10/04/85)

In article <705@ihu1m.UUCP> kena@ihu1m.UUCP (k.h. abshier) writes:
>I am interested in building a wine rack in my basement and would be
>interrested in any ideas anyone has as to how to go about building one.

A simple wine rack can be put together using round clay drain pipe.  I
bought a number of the ~3 inch diameter by about 12 inch long pipes at
a local lumber yard, and they fit 750 ml bottles nicely.  Larger round
and square pipes can be found as well.  Stack them, cordwood style,
either against a wall or in a frame of your devising.  If you place
them in a dark corner of a basement, in contact with the concrete,
you'll get nice, cool, constant temperatures -- good for the wine, I'm
told.

Two drawbacks: they're heavy (not really a problem for me), and they
tend to scratch labels.

--
	Steve Schley

	ihnp4!mmm!schley

jerem@tekgvs.UUCP (Jere Marrs) (10/05/85)

In article <33200011@gypsy.UUCP> rws@gypsy.UUCP writes:

>One nice design I saw was actually a set of bins, where each bin was a 90
>degree diamond (or, square on its corner.  I guess you could size them to
>suit, but the one I saw pictures of seemed to hold about 12 bottles per bin.
>
>If you're storing 100 bottles...

	The diamond structure is a very good one. If you are storing about
100 bottles, you'll probably want to make each diamond large enough hold
one case. That way, when the old vintages are ready to drink, you won't
have to move the whole bunch to get at the old ones. That's my problem.
I started laying away about ten years ago, and now my closet is filled,
but to get at the ones that are ready requires a near avalanche.

				Jere M. Marrs
				tektronix!tekcrl!tekgvs!jerem

bruce@msunix.UUCP (08/21/86)

Does anyone know where I might find a nice wine rack?  It doesn't have to
be large, but I would like it made out of oak or walnut.  Do I need to go
to Napa, or is there someplace in the Bay Area which might have such a beast?
Thanks.

--

  "So barmaid bring a pitcher,		Bruce Forsland
   another round of brew,		LMSC Mechanisms & Servos