[net.wines] Request for Music Source

peter@elsie.UUCP (Peter J. Wirth) (08/26/86)

Gallo wines has recently been running a series of television advertisements
promoting their various wine selections.  The ads are filmed in various
settings (country scenes, a wedding, etc), however, the background music
for each commerical is the same.  The music is quite beautiful and I was
wondering if anyone knows the source from which this background music
originates.  Is it a piece from previously written classical music or has
it been especially written for the Gallo wine advertisements.  Thanx in
advance.
:r ~/signiture

pae@Shasta.UUCP (08/28/86)

I don't remember too well, but I was told by a Gallo marketing type that
the music to their (newer) adds was by the same composer as the music
in the movie (I think) Chariots of Fire.  A friend says that was
Van Gellis (sp?).

slj@mtung.UUCP (S. Luke Jones) (08/29/86)

Note how I cut the original to pieces in my best net.politics fashion:

> Gallo wines has recently been running a series of television
> ... ads ... filmed in various
> settings ... [T]he background music
> ... is quite beautiful and I was
> wondering if anyone knows the source from which [it]
> originates.

I don't know the title but I'd be willing to bet my last dime it's one
of the songs most people never heard from Vangelis' _Chariots_of_Fire_
soundtrack.  Either that or it's a ripoff by a talented fraud.  (The
muted tympani roll that comes up at the end of the commercial is a
dead giveaway.)  If you want this piece of music for *your* wine and
brie parties, get the _CoF_ soundtrack.  Get it anyway.
--
       O            "I used to bull-eye Womp Rats in my T-16
   O  OOO  O         in Devil's Canyon back home, and they're

jew@usl.UUCP (James E. Wilson) (08/31/86)

In article <6198@elsie.UUCP> peter@elsie.UUCP writes:
>Gallo wines has recently been running a series of television advertisements
>promoting their various wine selections.  The ads are filmed in various
>settings (country scenes, a wedding, etc), however, the background music
>for each commerical is the same.  The music is quite beautiful and I was
>wondering if anyone knows the source from which this background music
>originates.  Is it a piece from previously written classical music or has
>it been especially written for the Gallo wine advertisements.  Thanx in
>advance.

I don't watch television often enough to have seen Gallo's wine ads,
but Fortune magazine (September 1) reports that the background music
to these ads is scored by some Vangelis, who also did the music for
the movie "Chariots of Fire".  I am unable to report how new or
derivative this music happens to be, not having seen the ads.
                                                   JW

blm@cxsea.UUCP (Brian Matthews) (09/02/86)

In article <6198@elsie.UUCP> peter@elsie.UUCP (Peter J. Wirth) writes:
|Gallo wines has recently been running a series of television advertisements
|promoting their various wine selections.  The ads are filmed in various
|settings (country scenes, a wedding, etc), however, the background music
|for each commerical is the same.  The music is quite beautiful and I was
|wondering if anyone knows the source from which this background music
|originates.  Is it a piece from previously written classical music or has
|it been especially written for the Gallo wine advertisements.  Thanx in
|advance.

The music in question is based on the piece "Hymne" off of Vangelis' album
"Opera Sauvage". The key words in that sentence are 'based on'. Vangelis'
version is nice and twangy and electronic. Unless you like your classical
music nice and twangy and electronic, you'll probably be disappointed.
Vangelis' music is nice, but not nearly as beautiful as the commercial. (The
Gallo commercials are the few commercials I look forward to seeing.)

--

Brian L. Matthews
Computer X Inc. - a division of Motorola New Enterprises