[net.wines] Gallo Music/House Whites

rjw@ptsfc.UUCP (Rod Williams) (09/05/86)

The music accompanying Gallo's commercial is from 'Opera Sauvage'
by Vangelis. BTW, since this *is* net.wines, has anyone noticed
that Gallo's Limited Release Varietals are pretty darn good for
the money? They produce a Sauvignon Blanc (the best in my opinion),
Chenin Blanc and Gewurztraminer at around $3.99 (discount place)
to $4.99 (corner liquor store) for a magnum (1.5 litres).

Other 'house whites' which appeal to me (and cost about the same)
are Sebastiani's Country Chardonnay and T. Morosco's Sauvignon
Blanc.

A little more expensive, and deservedly so, are Kenwood's Vintage
White, Gundlach-Bundschu White Table Wine (?) and Trefethen's
Eshcol White - all for $3-$4 for a 70 cl bottle. Their corresponding
Reds are also good - especially Gundlach-Bundschu's.

--

 rod williams  |  pacific bell  |  san ramon  |  california
 {ihnp4,qantel,lll-crg,pyramid}!ptsfa!ptsfc!rjw

lfl@lzaz.UUCP (L.F.LARSEN) (09/08/86)

In article <682@ptsfc.UUCP>, rjw@ptsfc.UUCP (Rod Williams) writes:
> BTW, since this *is* net.wines, has anyone noticed
> that Gallo's Limited Release Varietals are pretty darn good for
> the money? They produce a Sauvignon Blanc (the best in my opinion),

Earlier this year I tried a wide assortment of Sauvignon Blancs.
The Gallo SB was easily the worst of the lot (over fifty).  It
had no varietal character whatsoever.  I wouldn't even call the Gallo
a Fume' because it tastes like generic Gallo, NOT like Sauvignon Blanc.

For an inexpensive Fume' I recommend Fetzer's Valley Oaks Fume'
which costs <$4 per 750ml bottle.

For a good, inexpensive jug white, I would recommend Principato.
It has much more character, better fruit, more flavor, and a fuller,
rounder taste than any of the other jug whites that I tried.

Lance F. Larsen          ...!ihnp4!lzut!lfl        "In vino veritas"