[net.wines] Wine novice

ehd@mtuxo.UUCP (e.demont) (10/28/86)

Although I enjoy wine, I must plead ignorance of the subject.  I
wish to improve my knowledge/appreciation of wine and am looking
for books or other information that explain the different types of
wine and their characteristics (dry, full-bodied, etc.).  Please
let me know if you have discovered any information that is written
in English (i.e. novice-proof, no pun intended) rather than in
Wine-ese.
		Ellen De Mont
		uucp:  ihnp4!mtuxo!ehd

faiman@uiucdcsb.cs.uiuc.edu (10/28/86)

To Ms De Mont:

    Try to get a current copy (1987 edition) of Hugh Johnson's Pocket Wine
Book, published in the UK by Mitchell-Beazley.  Not only does it contain,
in capsule form, a good deal of up-to-date information on wines in general,
it has "ratings" of wines from the major producing areas around the world,
and it's small enough to fit in a pocket of purse, so that you can take it
with you as a handy reference when you go to a liquor store or a restaurant.
Cost in England is L4.95 (about $7). I've seen it in some big city book
stores, but I'm not sure whether it's the latest edition.  Good luck.

    Mike Faiman - University of Illinois, Urbana

mark@mcc-pp.UUCP (Mark Scheevel) (10/29/86)

In article <2173@mtuxo.UUCP> ehd@mtuxo.UUCP (e.demont) writes:
>Although I enjoy wine, I must plead ignorance of the subject.  I
>wish to improve my knowledge/appreciation of wine and am looking
>for books or other information that explain the different types of
>wine and their characteristics (dry, full-bodied, etc.).  Please
>let me know if you have discovered any information that is written
>in English (i.e. novice-proof, no pun intended) rather than in
>Wine-ese.
>		Ellen De Mont
>		uucp:  ihnp4!mtuxo!ehd

A good book for beginners is by Kevin Zraly (I think that's the correct
name, my book is at home and I'm not) entitled "Windows of the World
Wine Course".  I believe that Zraly runs the Windows of the World
restaurant in NYC (World Trade Center?), and was interested in teaching
neophytes about wine in a less intimidating manner than usual.
If you want to learn more after reading that book, Hugh Johnson's
books (I have his _Atlas_ and another one) are exceptionally well-done
and heartily recommended.

--
Mark Scheevel
MCC, Parallel Processing

spp@oz.berkeley.edu (Steve Pope) (10/30/86)

A good book, although very outdated with respect to California
wines, is the one by Julian Street.  I think it's just called
"Wines" or something like that.  It's short and readable,
and contains a good mix of factual and anectdotal material.

The next step up from that may be Alexis Lichine's "Wines of
France".

steve

wilkes@beatnix..UUCP (John Wilkes) (11/02/86)

[...]
Another guide book for California wines is ``The Pocket Encyclopedia of
California Wines'' by Bob Thompson.  The latest edition is 1985.  I am
also a wine novice, and I have found this book useful.