[net.wines] Wine Storage

wilson@convex.UUCP (11/04/86)

I've been considering purchasing a temperature controlled wine storage unit.
Does anyone out there have any experience/recommendations ?
                                           Stuart Wilson
                                           Convex Computer Corp.
                   {allegra, ihnp4, uiucdcs, seismo!c1east, sun}!convex!wilson

jeffr@sri-spam.istc.sri.com (Jeff Rininger) (11/05/86)

In article <44800006@convex> wilson@convex.UUCP writes:

>I've been considering purchasing a temperature controlled wine storage unit.
>Does anyone out there have any experience/recommendations ?
>                                           Stuart Wilson
>                                           Convex Computer Corp.
>                   {allegra, ihnp4, uiucdcs, seismo!c1east, sun}!convex!wilson

	I use an old refrigerator I bought for $10 - it doesn't have
	to work very well to do the job. . . .

mike@mipos3.UUCP (Michael Bruck) (11/06/86)

In article <9113@sri-spam.istc.sri.com> jeffr@sri-spam.UUCP (Jeff Rininger) writes:
>In article <44800006@convex> wilson@convex.UUCP writes:
>>
>>I've been considering purchasing a temperature controlled wine storage unit.
>>Does anyone out there have any experience/recommendations ?
>
>	I use an old refrigerator I bought for $10 - it doesn't have
>	to work very well to do the job. . . .

How do you keep it from getting too cold?  Is the compressor or thermostat
modified?
--
	--Michael Bruck

Corporate CAD, Intel Corp, Santa Clara, California

UUCP:  ...{hplabs,decwrl,oliveb,amdcad}!intelca!mipos3!mike
CSNET: mike@mipos3.INTEL.COM

Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do.

The above views are personal.

news@husc6.HARVARD.EDU (USENET News System) (11/06/86)

> Stuart Wilson (convex.UUCP!wilson    Nov  3 15:01:00 1986) writes:
> I've been considering purchasing a temperature controlled wine storage unit.
> Does anyone out there have any experience/recommendations ?
>                                            Stuart Wilson
Another reader suggested using an old refrigerator.  The problem is
that unless the thermostat goes to unusually high temperatures, a
refrigerator will be too cold.  The solution is to replace the
thermostat with one designed for air conditioners.  Usually they go
down to 55 or 60 degrees F, which is more than adequate.  Be sure to
get one rated for 120 VAC at the appropriate amperage; these are the
most common type, but not the only one.  Cost should be about $25-30.
It may take a little ingenuity to install, but it shouldn't be a big
problem, especially if appearance isn't too important.  Depending on
your climate, you may need to keep a tray of water inside to maintain
humidity.  Good luck.
Steve Willner              Phone 617-495-7123        Bitnet: willner@cfa1
60 Garden St.              FTS:      830-7123         UUCP:   willner@cfa
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA  Telex:  921428 satellite cam

niland@hpfcms.HP.COM ( Bob Niland ) (11/06/86)

re: / net.wines / wilson@convex.UUCP /

> I've been considering purchasing a temperature controlled wine storage unit.
> Does anyone out there have any experience/recommendations ?

I have no information about this, but I do have further questions for anyone
who does.

* Do wine coolers use conventional refrigerator compressor motors?

* If so,  how does the vibration of the motor affect the wine?

Regards,                                              Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland                                            3404 East Harmony Road
[ihnp4|hplabs]!hpfcla!rjn                             Fort Collins CO  80525

jeffr@sri-spam.istc.sri.com (Jeff Rininger) (11/06/86)

In article <592@husc6.HARVARD.EDU> news@husc6.HARVARD.EDU (USENET News System) writes:
>> Stuart Wilson (convex.UUCP!wilson    Nov  3 15:01:00 1986) writes:
>> I've been considering purchasing a temperature controlled wine storage unit.
>> Does anyone out there have any experience/recommendations ?
>>                                            Stuart Wilson
>Another reader suggested using an old refrigerator.  The problem is
>that unless the thermostat goes to unusually high temperatures, a
>refrigerator will be too cold.  The solution is to replace the
>thermostat with one designed for air conditioners.  Usually they go
>down to 55 or 60 degrees F, which is more than adequate.

	I found that setting the refrigerator to the "defrost" setting
	keeps the temp up to around 55 degrees F; this however may be
	a function of the condition of the 'frig. . . .  Note I am using
	a *really* old refrigerator which has only one door, which I
	guess explains the interaction between the defrost setting and
	the temp of the rest of the storage area.

niland@hpfcms.HP.COM ( Bob Niland ) (11/07/86)

re: and further questions about wine coolers (the mechanical kind)

What is the maximum temperature hysteresis to which a wine ought to be
exposed?   If a wine refrigerator "kicks in" at 60 degrees and then
cools until it reaches 55 degrees, is dozens of these thermal cycles
per day going to ruin the wine?

If a 5 degree hysteresis is too much, what is acceptable?

A true wine cellar probably has poorer temperature over the course of
a year, but the temperature usually changes very slowly, and the wine is
not subject to vibration from a compressor motor.

Bob Niland                                         [ihnp4|hplabs]!hpfcla!rjn