[net.rumor] Old and New VAXen Rumors

donn@sdchema.UUCP (11/19/83)

Date: Fri, 18-Nov-83 19:22:07 PST

211@sdccsu3.UUCP> <609@bmcg.UUCP>

[This is part of a batch of articles from San Diego that the rest of
the net never saw, because our net connection was down -- sorry if you
have seen this before, or if the discussion seems dated.]

Date: Sat, 29-Oct-83 22:46:23 PDT

I understand that the reason the MicroVax-I does not have PDP11
emulation mode is that when they tried putting it in, PDP11 programs
ran faster than native mode programs!  This is apparently because the
MicroVax runs as a VAX machine code emulation program on the J-11.

Also, I heard that VMS on the MicroVax avoids using the 'movc3' and
'movc5' instructions because when they are executed, the machine
exceeds the Federal limit on RF interference.

Did you know that the day DEC announced that its MicroVax Unix product
would be called 'Ultrix' instead of 'Unix', DEC stock dropped 21 points?

If you find these tidbits interesting, you should subscribe to my new
industry newsletter, THE INSIDE DOPE.  Subscription rates are 5000
512-byte disk blocks for 12 months, and a special discount rate of
15000 blocks for 36 months.  In the UK, it's 7500 360-byte blocks plus
long distance charges for 12 months.  As a new subscriber bonus, you
will receive for free a 5% interest in very valuable residential-zoned
property in S. Florida, plus a coupon that allows you to get 12.5% off
on any purchase of a used bridge in New York City, redeemable anywhere
in the Tri-City Area.

The now-famous VAX11/750 'wait states' story was first broken in issue
#11 of THE INSIDE DOPE.  A garbled version of this story made its way
onto Usenet and apparently has been responsible for much confusion.
The Usenet story, for examply, neglected to mention the serious problem
with the 'Super-750', that its hardware time-of-day clock always ran
in reverse.  These and other problems have prevented the 'wait states'
ECO from reaching the market, not the reported commercial qualms of
DEC management that the 'Super-750' would subvert pricing schedules.
Rumor has it, however, that Armando Stettner has had all of the VAXen
in the DEC Unix Engineering Group modified with this ECO; this apparently
explains the trouble the UEG has had in getting 4.2 BSD up and running.

;->,

Donn Seeley  UCSD Chemistry Dept. RRCF  ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdchema!donn