[net.rumor] A Coca Cola "thought experiment"

robison@eosp1.UUCP (Tobias D. Robison) (03/27/84)

I have oftne heard claims that some people are addicted to coca cola.
If people are interested, I'm sure we'll hear of specific cases.
I stopped drinking all colas (not just coke) because of difficulty
controlling my intake.  I know of one person who was a chain-coke drinker
(sounds like HIS problem, though, doesn't it?)
It is certainly unclear whether such addiction might be a problem of the
individuals, or related to anything in the chemical composition of colas.
					- Toby Robison
					allegra!eosp1!robison
					decvax!ittvax!eosp1!robison
					princeton!eosp1!robison

perelgut@utcsrgv.UUCP (Stephen Perelgut) (03/27/84)

Caffeine is an addictive drug.  Ask any heavy coffee or Coke (r) drinker,
or just try going without any caffeine (coffee, tea, cola, etc.) for a week.
Headaches!!!!
--
Stephen Perelgut
	    Computer Systems Research Group    University of Toronto

dave@infopro.UUCP (David Fiedler) (03/28/84)

If anyone is "addicted" to anything in colas, it's the caffeine, which
gives a mild lift. While it's easy to enjoy such a lift often, those who
find they "can't stop doing it" often say they're "addicted" to something,
rather than use the correct term "I don't have the willpower to stop". The
same is true for cocaine and marijuana, which are psychologically powerful
but physically nonaddictive drugs. The word "addictive" is bandied about
much too freely: anyone who has seen a friend under the grip of a truly
addictive drug will know exactly what I mean.
"That's the biz, sweetheart..."
          Dave Fiedler
{harpo,astrovax,philabs}!infopro!dave
P.S. Glad to see YOU have willpower, Toby, and good to see you're not
McMillan anymore.

wetcw@pyuxa.UUCP (T C Wheeler) (03/28/84)

[]
For Mr Fielder to say that cocaine is non-addictive flys in the face
of medical evidence.  We have a cocaine hotline here in New Jersey that
takes calls from all over the US.  Through this hotline, and subsequent
refferals to addiction control centers, it has been found that there is
a an astounding rate of cocaine addiction being discovered.  No one who
is on a recreational drug will admit that they are addicted just as
most alchoholics will not admit their addiction.  The incidence of
cocaine addiction is soaring in this country and to say it is not an
addiction is false, according to all of the latest medical evidence.
The addiction is just less visible due to the nature of the class of
people using the drug (upper middle class to rich).  These groups are
far more able to hide their addiction.  Heroin and other mainline
drug addicts tend to focus in the lower strata (economically) of
the population where it surfaces in a greater proportion of crimes
committed in order to support the addictions.  The cocaine mainliners
commit fewer crimes due to their higher economic status and thus
have money to purchase cocaine to feed their addictions.

BTW, grass can be addictive also, in the same sense as cigarettes.
Ask Buddy Hackett about it, he freely admits to a grass habit that
was with him for over 10 years.  It was the same as cigarettes, and
you can get all of the lovely tars, etc. just like from cigarettes.

T. C. Wheeler

alle@ihuxb.UUCP (Allen England) (03/28/84)

+
I thought that caffeine *is* addictive (physically) unlike
marijuana and cocaine which are only addictive mentally.

Allen
ihnp4!ihuxb!alle

amg@pyuxn.UUCP (Alan M. Gross) (03/29/84)

I claim I am addicted to caffeine.  When I exercise the
willpower to break the addiction, I suffer a couple of
days of headaches, and then I a free of the addiction.
The addiction is not strong, as with heroin or cigarettes.
I know I can break it because I have done so several
times.  However it is an addiction and not simply a
question of willpower.

		Alan Gross
		pyuxn!amg

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (03/29/84)

I don't see how one could become addicted to caffiene via
a cola.  As I recall (someone with written facts feel free
to jump in) one cup of coffee has about the same caffiene
as a 6 pack of cola.  It probably takes at least 4 cups of
coffee per day to get a caffiene addiction.  Anyone who consumes
24 cans of Pepsi per day must spend all their time visiting the
restroom!  I used to be considered a heavy consumer of Pepsi, and
I went through a case a WEEK, not a case a DAY.  My consumption was
irregular, and I never noticed any signs of problems on days I went
with no Pepsi.

seifert@ihuxl.UUCP (D.A. Seifert) (03/29/84)

Let us not neglect the addictive effect of the sugar in Coke(tm).
Rising blood sugar levels are lots of fun. Dropping blood sugar
levels are pure h*ll. (hmmm, a new form of torture?)  Much of
the addiction of alcohol is actually the effect on blood sugar.
So much for the term "soft drinks".

		your friendly neighborhood hypoglycemic,
--
		_____
	       /_____\	    I taught Walter Mitty everything he knows!

leimkuhl@uiuccsb.UUCP (03/30/84)

#R:eosp1:-74400:uiuccsb:13900004:000:709
uiuccsb!leimkuhl    Mar 30 12:05:00 1984

Please, TC Wheeler, if you want to argue that Marijuana is addictive,
don't cite Buddy Hackett as an expert witness.

To then state further that "you can get all the tars in cigarettes from
grass" is just ridiculous.  The tars in cigarettes are of an entirely
different nature than the THC resins of marijuana and its derivatives.
Besides, it is not the tars in cigarettes which cause the addiction, it
is the nicotine.

If you wish to argue for a cocaine addiction, realize that it is a
psychological condition (no less deadly) rather than a physical one.
Cocaine simply does not change one's body chemistry the way that heroine
or alcohol does.

In defense of good argument, not drugs.

-Ben Leimkuhler

howard@metheus.UUCP (Howard A. Landman) (03/30/84)

> ... cocaine ... psychologically powerful but physically nonaddictive ...

I wonder if the author of this bit of nonsense has ever seen someone with
a heavy cocaine habit?  I once worked briefly for someone doing about
$5,000 per month worth.  That's over three grams per day.  Just inhaling
it was insufficient; only freebasing was satisfactory.  This person would
have had a good business if the profits from it (and then some) weren't
going "up in smoke".  Not a pleasant memory.

Of course, what do I know, I think CAFFEINE is addictive ...

	Howard A. Landman
	ogcvax!metheus!howard

wjb@burl.UUCP (Bill Buie) (03/30/84)

--
>I don't see how one could become addicted to caffiene via
>a cola.
.
.
>It probably takes at least 4 cups of coffee per day to get a caffiene
>addiction.

Not entirely true.  I (and maybe several others?) am extremely
sesitive to caffiene.  A cup a day, over a week, has me addicted.  I
have to stay away from it a few days (and experience the headaches,
etc.) to calm my nerves if I keep that pace for more than ten days
or so.  (Too bad I adore coffe -- O beloved, foul potion of haste
self!!)  I can imagine that colas could addict me, too, if I could
stomach them long enough.
--

				--Bill Buie

crl@pur-phy.UUCP (Charles LaBrec) (03/30/84)

If I remember correctly an article I saw in Time(?) last summer, the
amount of caffeine in sodas was approximately:
	Coffee		75-150 mg	(it varies a lot)
	Coke		45-55 mg	(here I just don't recall the amount)
	Pepsi		40-50 mg		"
	Mountain Dew	55-65 mg		"
	Tea		30-50 mg	(varies)
I don't remember serving sizes that were given.  Anyone else have the
exact article lying about?

Charles LaBrec
UUCP:		pur-ee!Physics:crl, purdue!Physics:crl
INTERNET:	crl @ pur-phy.UUCP

jrs2@ihuxe.UUCP (J.R.Smithson) (03/30/84)

As to the person who claims he is addicted to caffeine,
it may also be possible that this person is allergic
or sensitive to caffeine.
The whithdrawl symptoms are quite common among people
with food sensitivities. They crave the food which they
are sensitive to.
		J.R.S.

lwe3207@acf4.UUCP (04/02/84)

"Cocaine is God's way of telling you you're too damn rich."

			-- Richard Pryor (I think)

joe@smu.UUCP (04/02/84)

#R:eosp1:-74400:smu:17300003:000:1171
smu!joe    Apr  2 16:57:00 1984

From a recent issue of a FDA publication (FDA Today?):

Soda Pop                        caffeine content (mg)

Sugar Free Mr Pibb              58.8
Mountain Dew                    54.0
Mello Yello                     52.8
Tab                             46.8
Coca Cola                       45.6
Diet Coke                       45.6
Shasta Cola                     44.4
Shasta Cherry Cola              44.4
Shasta Diet Cola                44.4
Mr Pibb                         40.8
Dr Pepper                       39.6
Sugar Free Dr Pepper            39.6
Big Red                         38.4
Sugar Free Big Red              38.4
Pepsi Cola                      38.4
Aspen                           36.0
Diet Pepsi                      36.0
Pepsi Light                     36.0
RC Cola                         36.0
Diet Rite                       36.0
Kick                            31.2
Canada Dry Jamaica Cola         30.0
Canada Dry Diet Colas           01.2

I don't have figures for tea and coffee. Also, NO-DOZ tablets
have 100 mg. caffeine, I think.

                                            Joe Ramey
                                            convex!smu!joe

piety@hplabs.UUCP (Bob Piety) (04/02/84)

To emphasize the difference between *PHYSICALLY* and *PSYCHOLOGICALLY*
addiction, marijuana, cocaine and some other mood-altering drugs are
psychologically addictive.  That is, they do not induce chemical changes in
the body.

Physically addictive drugs include alcohol, caffeine, opium derivatives,
barbiturates, and maybe some stimulants.  Barbiturate withdrawal can be so
severe that it causes death.  Yes, the *WITHDRAWAL* can cause death, not to
mention usage of these drugs.

Bob

suhre@trwrb.UUCP (Maurice E. Suhre) (04/02/84)

The Consumer Reports had a very thorough article about caffein and
soft drinks a while ago.  Perhaps a year or two, maybe three.  If you
are concerned, I would recommend looking it up and reading it.  One
of the more interesting results was that certain orange sodas were
being spiked with caffein.

They pointed out that subjects in medical experiments showed increased
mental agility after the equivalent of one cup of coffee (or maybe two).
There is a definite hype up with caffein.

Maurice

{decvax,ucbvax}!trwrb!suhre

rcd@opus.UUCP (04/03/84)

<>
>To emphasize the difference between *PHYSICALLY* and *PSYCHOLOGICALLY*
>addiction, marijuana, cocaine and some other mood-altering drugs are
>psychologically addictive.  That is, they do not induce chemical changes in
>the body.
Marijuana has not consistently been found to be EITHER physically OR
psychologically addictive.  (Research results indicate that the degree of
psychological addiction found is significantly affected by the source of
funding for the research and the identity of the researchers :-)

Psychological addiction is a real phenomenon, but it's much less
consistent than physical addiction.  A drug can by strongly psychologically
addictive to 10% (or 25% or 50%) of the population and not noticeably
affect the rest.
--
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.
{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd

dave@infopro.UUCP (David Fiedler) (04/04/84)

To further clarify my original posting re: the term "addictive",
here is a list of B.S. lines people have used to me in
conversation to explain/excuse their behavior. See if any
sound familiar:

- I'm addicted to watching television.
- I'm addicted to eating.
- I'm addicted to sex.
- I'm addicted to chocolate.
- I'm addicted to playing rogue (reading netnews, coding in APL, etc).
- I'm addicted to jogging.

     The original point was that the word "addicted" or
"addictive" should be reserved for those substances which cause
true physical dependence, as Bob Piety said so well, and NOT
things that are merely "uncomfortable" to give up by reason of
"habit", or "it makes me feel better when I do it". I was NOT
discussing the morals of doing any of these things, and did not
intend to start a discussion on marijuana vs. cocaine vs. heroin,
although some of that has been interesting. Further flames to
/dev/null, please, and stay off "the stuff": whatever that
means to you.
"That's the biz, sweetheart..."
          Dave Fiedler
{harpo,astrovax,philabs}!infopro!dave

ix21@sdccs6.UUCP (04/04/84)

*
hplabs!piety claims that marihauna and cocaine are only
psychologically addicting and not physically addicting.
That is not true I have several sources from pharmacology textbooks
and journals that discuss the various symptoms of physical
addiction to cocaine and marihauna.  In fact
Goodman and Gilman's A Pharmacolgical Basis of Therapeutics, the
pharmacology textbook used at most American medical schools states
that people have died from withdrawal from cocaine.
--
David Whiteman sdcsvax!sdccs6!whiteman
UCSD Medical School, La Jolla CA

jbf@ccieng5.UUCP (Jens Bernhard Fiederer) (04/05/84)

	I agree, Cola is mildly addictive.  I can (and have) quit for
a period of time, suffering slight depression and headaches.  I usually

Azhrarn
--
Reachable as
	....allegra![rayssd,rlgvax]!ccieng5!jbf

piety@hplabs.UUCP (Bob Piety) (04/05/84)

Consumer Reports published a good book about 10 years ago called:

             Licit and Illicit Drugs

As I recall, it is unbiased and well written.  It may dispell some of these
myths that have bben floating around on the net.

Bob

seifert@ihuxl.UUCP (D.A. Seifert) (04/06/84)

> I'm addicted to watching television.
> I'm addicted to eating.
> I'm addicted to sex.
> I'm addicted to chocolate.
> I'm addicted to playing rogue (reading netnews, coding in APL, etc).
> I'm addicted to jogging.

Well, let's see.... sex, chocolate and jogging can create chemical
changes in your bloodstream which can be addictive. Eating may or may
not, depends on what you eat.

As far as I know, CRT activities (TV/rogue/netnews/APL/...) don't
create any chemical changes, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.
Actually the eyestrain would tend to be a negative factor.

--
	_____
       /_____\	    From the official doghouse of the '84 Olympics,

perelgut@utcsrgv.UUCP (Stephen Perelgut) (04/13/84)

aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  <- dead bug

	>   From utzoo!watmath!clyde!floyd!cmcl2!acf4!lwe3207
	>   Newsgroups: net.rumor
	>   Subject: Re: Re: A Coca Cola "thought experiment"
	>
	>   "Cocaine is God's way of telling you you're too damn rich."
	>
	>		-- Richard Pryor (I think)

	Actually, Robin Williams!