[net.rumor] C function replacement

marcus@wivax.UUCP (11/26/84)

You heard it here first ...

In Bell Labs' next release of the C language, the function 'sprintf' will
be replaced by 'attf'.  The old name will still work, but only if you prefix
the string argument with a fourteen-digit code.

padpowell@wateng.UUCP (PAD Powell) (11/27/84)

	From marcus@wivax.UUCP Mon Nov 26 14:44:18 1984
	Newsgroups: net.rumor
	Subject: C function replacement

	You heard it here first ...

	In Bell Labs' next release of the C language, the function 'sprintf'
	will be replaced by 'attf'.  The old name will still work, but only if
	you prefix the string argument with a fourteen-digit code.

Hurray!  now we can all start using "snprintf()" and "sxprintf()",
which have bounds checking.  I have found the most HORRIFYING number of
errors caused because people did a

innocent_looking_function(buffer,str)
    {
	sprintf(buffer,"...%s", str);
    }

Imagine the fun if "buffer" is a stack variable. Culprits so far range from
ar to uucp...

Patrick ("stamp out functions that don't have bounds checking") Powell

hamilton@uiucuxc.UUCP (11/28/84)

/* ---------- "C function replacement" ---------- */
You heard it here first ...

In Bell Labs' next release of the C language, the function 'sprintf' will
be replaced by 'attf'.  The old name will still work, but only if you prefix
the string argument with a fourteen-digit code.
/* End of text from uiucuxc:net.rumor */

and have you heard about the $2/month access() charge?

bsa@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (12/07/84)

+----------------
| You heard it here first ...
|
| In Bell Labs' next release of the C language, the function 'sprintf' will
| be replaced by 'attf'.  The old name will still work, but only if you prefix
| the string argument with a fourteen-digit code.

And soon afterward will come, from Berkeley, the bsdf() function, which
will be greatly and somewhat non-portably expanded in function (and a
little buggy); to be released at the same time as their new long distance
network, which will provide long names for exchanges and symbolic links
between phones :-)

--bsa
--
  Brandon Allbery @ North Coast Xenix  |   the.world!ucbvax!decvax!cwruecmp!
6504 Chestnut Road, Independence, Ohio |       {atvax!}ncoast!{tdi1!}bsa
				       |    BALLBERY (161-7070) on MCI Mail
	      Keeping the Galaxies safe for Civilization... :-)

nather@utastro.UUCP (Ed Nather) (12/10/84)

[-+-- begone!]

        >Keeping the Galaxies safe for Civilization... :-)

Shouldn't that be  " ... safe *from* Civilization ..."?
--

                                 Ed Nather
                                 {allegra,ihnp4}!{ut-sally,noao}!utastro!nather