[net.rumor] Who's next?

jj@alice.UUCP (01/29/85)

12/84  Exit Storage Tech.
1/85  Exit Exxon Office Systems
1/85 Exit Shugart.

Who's next?
--
TEDDY BEARS HUG PENGUINS
"When I first landed here, I didn't like the beer, but the attitude seemed
good enough, and the way ahead seemed clear. The beer still tastes like
glue, the road seem rougher too, and the ..."

(allegra,harpo,ulysses)!alice!jj

> 12/84  Exit Storage Tech.
> 1/85  Exit Exxon Office Systems
> 1/85 Exit Shugart.
>
> Who's next?

Hopefully, all those product vendors who offer "me too" equipment
and no support.  Unfortunately, some of the good equipment and
software is poorly marketed so those companies too may fold.

lat@stcvax.UUCP (Larry Tepper) (02/02/85)

> From: jj@alice.UUCP

> 12/84  Exit Storage Tech.
> 1/85  Exit Exxon Office Systems
> 1/85 Exit Shugart.

> Who's next?

Storage Technology has not folded.  It filed for Chapt. 11 on
Oct. 31, and is continuing to build and ship its products.  Ryal
Poppa, formerly with BMC Industries and with Pertec prior to
that, came on board last week as the company's new CEO and
board chairman.  Company finances for the past 3 months have
been in the black.
--
I'm not afraid of heights.  I'm afraid of widths.
{ihnp4 hao ucbvax!nbires}!stcvax!lat			Larry Tepper

fair@dual.UUCP (Erik E. Fair) (02/06/85)

>> From: jj@alice.UUCP
>> Subject: Who's next?
>> Date: Tue, 29-Jan-85 11:23:03 PST
>>
>> 12/84  Exit Storage Tech.
>> 1/85  Exit Exxon Office Systems
>> 1/85 Exit Shugart.
>>
>> Who's next?
>> --

3/85 Intel files Chapt. 13

	Here's hoping,

	Erik

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) (02/07/85)

> 12/84  Exit Storage Tech.

   As Monty Python put it, "I'm not dead yet". Storage Tech. filed chapter
11, for court protection from creditors. They did *not* file chapter 13,
or bankruptcy papers. Many people have been laid off, and several of my
friends who worked there have quit to move on to "safer" jobs, but STC still
exists. Some of my friends still work there.

--Greg
--
{ucbvax!hplabs | allegra!nbires | decvax!noao | harpo!seismo | ihnp4!noao}
       		        !hao!woods

     "...sometimes the light's all shining on me;
	 other times I can barely see..."

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (02/14/85)

> > 12/84  Exit Storage Tech.
>
>    As Monty Python put it, "I'm not dead yet". Storage Tech. filed chapter
> 11, for court protection from creditors.

According to reports in the trade press recently, STC seems to be
recovering.  They've layed off a bunch of folks and dropped some
unprofitable ventures, and now seem to have reasonable shot at
profitability soon.  It usually takes about two years to get out from a
Chapter 11 situation, if the company comes out at all, so we'll see.

--
Ed Gould		    mt Xinu, 739 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146