[net.rumor] What is happening with Interlan?

sasaki@harvard.ARPA (Marty Sasaki) (02/08/85)

We have been looking for intelligent ethernet boards. Interlan is rumored
to be working on such a board.

A staff member called Interlan using a phone number from previously received
literature. The phone rang, but no one answered. This number was tried several
times over several days, same result.

The same staff member decided that he should just call information, maybe
Interlan had changed it's number. Directory assistance replied that the
"number is being with held by customer request".

Does anyone know what is happening with Interlan?
--
			Marty Sasaki
			Havard University Science Center

rpw3@redwood.UUCP (Rob Warnock) (02/12/85)

+---------------
| A staff member called Interlan using a phone number from previously received
| literature. The phone rang, but no one answered. This number was tried several
| times over several days, same result...  Directory assistance replied that the
| "number is being with held by customer request".
| Does anyone know what is happening with Interlan?
| Marty Sasaki | Havard University Science Center | sasaki@harvard.{arpa,uucp}
+---------------

I don't know if the following is relevant, but it's interesting anyway...
Electronic News, January 14, 1985, page 8:

	>> Micom to Acquire Interlan for $47M <<
	CHATSWORTH, Calif. -- Micom Systems last week said it has agreed in
	principle to acquire Interlan, Westford, Mass., in a stock transaction
	estimated to be worth $47 million... March 1 target date... Micom
	Systems... makes data PBXs, multiplexers, modems, and LAN products...
	[Micom] and Interlan had sales of approx. $170M and $18M respectively
	in 1984.

Rob Warnock
Systems Architecture Consultant

UUCP:	{ihnp4,ucbvax!dual}!fortune!redwood!rpw3
DDD:	(415)572-2607
USPS:	510 Trinidad Lane, Foster City, CA  94404

bobbyo@celerity.UUCP (Bob Ollerton) (02/13/85)

Interlan has moved a few miles, and been purchased by Micom in the
last few months.   I don't have their new address & phone number with me,
but I talked to them last week and all was well.

I don't think Micom would let anything happen to them, considering
their track record for sucess in buying and integrating communications
companies.

bob.
--
Bob Ollerton; Celerity Computing;
9692 Via Excelencia; San Diego, Ca 92126; (619) 271 9940

unixmgr@bunny.UUCP (Alix Vasilatos) (02/13/85)

I am told that Interlan has moved to Boxboro, MA where
their phone number is 617-263-9929.  I am also told that
the Micom deal fell through.  Hope this helps.

Alix Vasilatos
harvard!bunny!unixmgr

jaap@mcvax.UUCP (Jaap Akkerhuis) (02/14/85)

In article <157@redwood.UUCP> rpw3@redwood.UUCP (Rob Warnock) writes:
 >+---------------
 >| A staff member called Interlan using a phone number from previously received
 >| literature. The phone rang, but no one answered. This number was tried several
 >| times over several days, same result...  Directory assistance replied that the
 >| "number is being with held by customer request".
 >| Does anyone know what is happening with Interlan?
 >| Marty Sasaki | Havard University Science Center | sasaki@harvard.{arpa,uucp}
   >+---------------
   >
   >I don't know if the following is relevant, but it's interesting anyway...
   >Electronic News, January 14, 1985, page 8:
   >
   >	>> Micom to Acquire Interlan for $47M <<
   >	CHATSWORTH, Calif. -- Micom Systems last week said it has agreed in
   >	principle to acquire Interlan, Westford, Mass., in a stock transaction
   >	estimated to be worth $47 million... March 1 target date... Micom
   >	Systems... makes data PBXs, multiplexers, modems, and LAN products...
   >	[Micom] and Interlan had sales of approx. $170M and $18M respectively
   >	in 1984.

First, a lot of Interlan sales blurbs and adds have a wrong phone number
printed.

Second, our distributor told that Interlan has just moved to a next
building, and the automatic answering device on the old number hasn't
been installed yet (This was local time 17.00, it is now 3.53).

Third, I was also told that Interlan has been taken over by Micom in search of
more capital, and Micom reason is that they want to do more then just plain
PBX's (wouldn't it be nice if you can connect your PBX to the
Ethernet, so that all existing investments and cables don't need to go
to /dev/null?). The Interlan products will still bear it's original
name and be an apart product line, still according to my the
distributor.

I'm sorry, that I can not give the phone number right now since it is
on my desk.

	Jaap Akkerhuis (mcvax!jaap)

smh@mit-eddie.UUCP (Steven M. Haflich) (02/16/85)

Here's an attempt to quash any ugly rumors about Interlan:

The same day Interlan was allegedly unreachable I attended a
lecture/demonstration by Interlan folks.  Apparently the company was
just that week moving its main plant to new and larger facilities.  I
have since been informed that the new number is (617)263-9929.

The rumors about Interlan's purchase by Micom are apparently true, but
would seem to have nothing to so with the plant relocation.

Interlan does *not* appear to be in trouble, and their new units look
like pretty good stuff...

skip@gatech.UUCP (Skip Addison) (02/23/85)

The merger with MICOM has definitely not fallen through.  They've been having
meetings all week (and probably for all of next week) figuring out what the
new management structure will look like.

The move into the new building was not associated with the merger in any way.
It was just a coincidence that they are happening at the same time.  Needless
to say, the environment around there has been a little hectic!

--
from the DMZ of Skip Addison
The Office of Telecommunications and Networking