[net.rumor] Strobe lights -> crashes

trough@ihuxi.UUCP (Chris Scussel) (03/28/85)

I have a repeatable example of photographic strobes causing a computer
to crash. I have a microprocessor "training" board which I used for
several years at our annual christmas "toy and doll night". Every time
the photographer took a picture nearby, the micro would go belly-up,
and have to be reset. The closest thing it had to an optical sensor
was its EPROMS, and these were not erased by the flash. The best
guess I had was the EMP from the discharge of the flash unit's
capacitor. I'm not sure, but I think that I tried flashing a strobe
near the micro while I had my hand over flashtube. It still crashed,
which supports the EMP theory.

	Of course, none of this has any bearing on the original
ESS story.

				Chris Scussel
				AT&T Bell Labs

padpowell@wateng.UUCP (PAD Powell) (03/29/85)

In article <1185@ihuxi.UUCP> trough@ihuxi.UUCP (Chris Scussel) writes:
>I have a repeatable example of photographic strobes causing a computer
>to crash. I have a microprocessor "training" board which I used for
>several years at our annual christmas "toy and doll night". Every time
>the photographer took a picture nearby, the micro would go belly-up,
>and have to be reset. The closest thing it had to an optical sensor
>was its EPROMS, and these were not erased by the flash. The best

Ah, yes, the joys of EPROMS.  A couple of years ago, some students put together
a display using a single board computer system for a controller.  It was
meant to show how the computer worked, so the board was out in front, under a
transparent cover.  During the exhibit,  along comes the big/little chiefs,
with photographers.  FLASH!!!  Crash!!!  Wheep!!! Alarms, etc. go off.

Why?  The EPROMS were uncovered, and the high light intensity caused them to
malfunction.  I repeated this test in the lab, and it sure worked.  There are
lots of explanations in the various semiconductor physics books.  SOOOOO-
cover up those EPROMS with black tape!!!

Patrick Powell

> I have a repeatable example of photographic strobes causing a computer
> to crash. I have a microprocessor "training" board which I used for
> several years at our annual christmas "toy and doll night". Every time
> the photographer took a picture nearby, the micro would go belly-up,
> and have to be reset. The closest thing it had to an optical sensor
> was its EPROMS, and these were not erased by the flash. ...

Most silicon devices are light-sensitive to some degree.  In the fine
print of some EPROM data sheets, you will find a warning that the window
should be covered with something opaque even in the absence of UV intense
enough to erase the EPROM, because normal light kicks up photoelectric
currents that are strong enough to interfere with normal operation.  This
might account for some of the problem.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

rpw3@redwood.UUCP (Rob Warnock) (03/31/85)

+---------------
| I have a repeatable example of photographic strobes causing a computer
| to crash... Every time the photographer took a picture nearby, the micro
| would go belly-up, and have to be reset. The closest thing it had to an
| optical sensor was its EPROMS, and these were not erased by the flash...
| 	Chris Scussel | AT&T Bell Labs
+---------------

The base-collector junctions of transistors tend to be light-sensitive (go
look at how they build "photo-transistors"). It has been long known (but not
always publicized) that the transistors in the sense amplifiers of certain
EPROMs are especially light sensitive. It's not the ROM cell that's affected,
so the data is not erased (unless there's enough U/V, as with naked sunlight),
but read errors can happen. That's why the "paper" labels that are supplied
on preprogrammed EPROMs often have an aluminum-foil layer in them, to block
out light. Higher-frequency ("blue"er) light affects the EPROMS worse; hence
flourescent light is worse than incandescent.

I have seen (*blush* -- and been bitten by) this effect in prototypes,
when engineers get busy and don't put labels over the little "windows"
after erasing them.  It starts getting late in the day, someone turns
on the lights, and BOOM! CRASH!

It can also cause EPROMs to appear bad when freshly programmed, since if
you don't cover the window while programming them, PROM blasters which
use "adaptive programming" can get read errors during the programming
process (due to overhead lights), or during the "verify" step.

Moral: Cover your EPROM windows with OPAQUE labels, except when erasing.

Rob Warnock
Systems Architecture Consultant

UUCP:	{ihnp4,ucbvax!dual}!fortune!redwood!rpw3
DDD:	(415)572-2607
USPS:	510 Trinidad Lane, Foster City, CA  94404

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (04/01/85)

> I have a repeatable example of photographic strobes causing a computer
> to crash.
We have an applicon color ink jet plotter.  The thing comes with a strobe
light that gets synced to the units rotation so that you can adjust the
convergence of the nozzles.  While waiting for a plot one day, I turned
the strobe on the tape drive to watch it freeze the real motion.  I forgot
that the tape sensors were optical.

-Ron

wcs@ho95b.UUCP (Bill Stewart) (04/03/85)

The early Bell Labs BLIT terminals (in-house predecessor to the Teletype
5620) had no fan, and were occasionally subject to ovwerheating problems.
The standard cure was to take the back off to get some air circulation.
Well, there was this guy with a window office, who had the back of his
terminal facing out.  After a few weeks the incoming sunlight erased the
EPROMs, and the terminal forgot what it was....

My 5620 has a fan, but it's quieter than the  building A/C fan, so I've left
it in (a lot of HP terminals around here seem to have their fans disconnected.)

stone@yale.ARPA (Larry Stone) (04/08/85)

[eat flaming death, fascist media bugs |-> ]

I once had to deal with an ancient HP2100 (about the equivalent of a
PDP-11) that used paper tape for "mass storage".  It had an optical tape
reader which was *very* fast, but on a sunny day we had to pull down the
shades or the sunlight streaming in would go right through the "opaque"
tape and trash the data!  Fortunately, sunny days aren't much of a
problem here in New Haven..  :-)

        "User-friendly is a front panel with switches & lights,"

        -- Larry Stone (..!decvax!yale!stone)