[net.rumor] The Washington Times and the Moonies

shor@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Melinda Shore) (05/02/85)

I've been seeing "Moonies!" scrawled on the side of those decorative :-)
orange Washington Times (n.b. -- NOT Washington Post) dispensers.  Is
this true?  Is the Washington Times owned by the Unification Church?
It does seem rather right-wing ...

--

Melinda Shore
University of Chicago Computation Center

uucp:     ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!shor
Mailnet:  staff.melinda@uchicago.mailnet
Bitnet:	  shor%sphinx@uchicago.bitnet
ARPA:	  staff.melinda%uchicago.mailnet@mit-multics.arpa

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (05/03/85)

> I've been seeing "Moonies!" scrawled on the side of those decorative :-)
> orange Washington Times (n.b. -- NOT Washington Post) dispensers.  Is
> this true?  Is the Washington Times owned by the Unification Church?
> It does seem rather right-wing ...

It's true.

hsu@cvl.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (05/03/85)

> I've been seeing "Moonies!" scrawled on the side of those decorative :-)
> orange Washington Times (n.b. -- NOT Washington Post) dispensers.  Is
> this true?  Is the Washington Times owned by the Unification Church?
> It does seem rather right-wing ...
>
> Melinda Shore

That's right...the Unification Church bankrolls the Wash. Times.  So
convenient the demise of the Wash. Star just in time to provide a
surplus of equipment and writers, too.

But the boxes aren't decorative.  USAToday boxes are decorative. :-)

-dave

jsc@ucbvax.ARPA (James Carrington) (05/03/85)

In article <393@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> shor@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Melinda Shore) writes:
>this true?  Is the Washington Times owned by the Unification Church?

Yes, it is indeed owned by Rev. Moon and Co.

--
	James Steven Carrington
	UC Berkeley

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (05/03/85)

> I've been seeing "Moonies!" scrawled on the side of those decorative :-)
> orange Washington Times (n.b. -- NOT Washington Post) dispensers.  Is
> this true?  Is the Washington Times owned by the Unification Church?
> It does seem rather right-wing ...

	Yup, it sho'nuff is. Actually, I don't mind as much as I did
because they are losing Moon's money to the tune of millions a year.
--

jcpatilla

"'Get stuffed !', the Harlequin replied ..."

mjk@ttrdc.UUCP (Mike Kelly) (05/06/85)

>From: hsu@cvl.UUCP (Dave Hsu)
>But the boxes aren't decorative.  USAToday boxes are decorative. :-)

I read that they're designed to look like TV's.  Which makes sense, given
the drivel inside.  You know how they're always running headlines like "We're
Growing Older" and "We're Getting Healthier"?  My favorite (an actual
headline) was from a story on how Americans are eating more "healthy" foods.
The headline was "We're Eating Our Liver".

Mike Kelly

jeff@rtech.ARPA (Jeff Lichtman) (05/11/85)

> >From: hsu@cvl.UUCP (Dave Hsu)
> >But the boxes aren't decorative.  USAToday boxes are decorative. :-)
>
> I read that they're designed to look like TV's.  Which makes sense, given
> the drivel inside.  You know how they're always running headlines like "We're
> Growing Older" and "We're Getting Healthier"?  My favorite (an actual
> headline) was from a story on how Americans are eating more "healthy" foods.
> The headline was "We're Eating Our Liver".
>
> Mike Kelly

The slogan on the boxes reads "The Nation's Newspaper".  Several around
Berkeley have been modified to read "The Nation's New pap".
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
aka Swazoo Koolak

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff